Had my mind made up....which saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman2006

Reaction score
So I had my mind made up to purchase a 372, but the nearest servicing dealer is quite a ways away, and they have hours that really don't work well with mine. They also do not carry the pro line there.

I currently have a 51 husqvarna that is about 20 years old. It has cut a lot of wood, been a great saw, but is now about worn out and certainly out grown. I plan to put a little time and money in it for small stuff and limbing. I need a bigger saw and was settled on a 372 until I realized the distance for a dealer. I really do prefer to stay local for everything.

So, in the 70 cc range, I am now looking for at a 461 at about $200 more but with several servicing dealers in the area. Am I missing out by not going the route of the 372? better off to have the heavier 461 and a dealer?

Most of the time, I am cutting about 6 to 10 cords per year for fire wood, trimming and cleaning up from trees on the farm, and so on. I am a weekend warrior, but I want another 20 year saw, and one that will hand a 20 inch bar all the time with a 24 now and again. Storm cleanup tends to be pine, but the everyday firewood cutting tends to be oak.

I did look at Echo, but know very little about them and Johnsered is just a Husky now days, so no service with either locally. Dolmar is even further out for service.

I am wide open for suggestions.

Thanks

I own 6 or 7 372xps in some form or another. I don’t recall ever bringing one to a shop. Now my stihl stuff… that’s another story.

20 years is a long time. Upgrades in tech, emissions and parts availability will probably make that impractical in this day and age. A 372xp seems overkill for what you are trying to do. Depending on how often you really need a 24” bar, consider a 550xp or a 562xp. Both excellent saws and less expensive.

I needed the the dealer about 3 times. Each time, it was me being stupid. I am sure a pro could make it run better than me.

I really don't like or need or want electronics. I drive an old truck for that reason, and have been hesitant to get certain model saws for that reason.

I have a couple old parts saws to keep this 51 running. It was not made for too many years, so I picked up a couple at a pawn store here.

I do know that it is likely over kill, but..... I would also like to try a little milling at home, so I thought this would work for what little I would do. If the 51 goes belly up, then something like it for a light weight saw. Every once in a while I get to cut bigger stuff. We had a storm that brought down an old oak and I had to rent a saw for that. I should have just bought the big one right then. Other times, someone in the group had a bigger saw, and I was left loading the trucks. That got old.

A 460 is awfully heavy for firewood duty, unless you're a big ol' hoss. I know a guy, who is huge, who runs an 880 as a firewood saw... it's his first saw so he really didn't quite understand just how big that saw is. Even the 372 will tire you out doing firewood duty. No problem with doing it, mind you, but they are probably more suited to felling and bucking than blasting out firewood. I have a two-saw philosophy.... bring the smallest saw you can that can still make quick work of the wood you're cutting. Throw your "big saw" behind the seat as a backup and in case you find big wood. If it helps you decide, getting tired can cause you to cut corners and get sloppy, potentially leading to mishap. It's really better to get the right firewood saw for your strength and size than carry too much saw.

I'd go heft one before I considered spending all day with a 460 (CONSIDERABLY heavier than the 372, BTW) in my hands. An MS440 would be a better comparison, or whatever the Stihl equivalent is these days. An optimal firewood saw would probably be in the 50-60cc range (Stihl 361, 362?), though you didn't really say how big that oak is, which would help us help you.

Having said all that, I'm a big 372 fan, they are great saws. You really shouldn't need the dealer to be so close... honestly, if you own a 2-cycle, learning how to do the basics (carb kit, carb tune, fuel line, swap a rim, etc) is REALLY a good idea. There is a billion collective years of experience you can tap on this site, and with a 4mm hex, you can do a LOT of your own maintenance on a Husky. Ok, maybe there's a 3mm on the intake.

Good luck, let us know what you decide! And welcome to the site.

In my hands I could never really tell difrince in weight between 440 372 and 046.

The 066 on the other hand had felt increase in weight. But i cut alot of 4ft trees with it and the smaller 70cc saws. I had 084 to but in 4ft wood it wasn't any faster but was a lot heavier.
70cc saws are made to work

Also keep in mind a slight weight penalty may wash itself out as the saw may get the same job done faster then lighter saw.

In my mind 372 440 460 461 are to close to not pick and will do what 99% of the cutting people need to do.

Buy what you prefer.
I will say the 372 is smoother than 046-461.

I doubt many dealers havevtechs worth a ****. Sites like this are worth they're weight in gold if you need help with repairs and maintenance

Well, I guess the 372 it will be. Is there a preferred site folks use?

As a complete aside, would it make any sense to have my old 51 Husqvarna sent to a pro for any work? Would it benefit from portion g and the like? Right now, I know it needs a few simple things I can do myself like a new recoil starter and a carb kit.

Buy a 372 and you've got a bunch of money left over to rebuild your 51 and buy a bunch of chains and oil. 461's are nice but probably not $200 better than a 372.......more like equal...

Well, I guess the 372 it will be. Is there a preferred site folks use?

As a complete aside, would it make any sense to have my old 51 Husqvarna sent to a pro for any work? Would it benefit from portion g and the like? Right now, I know it needs a few simple things I can do myself like a new recoil starter and a carb kit.
Lots of places to get it. I here there are some dealers on this site. Looks like $820 for the 372xp. I bet you could do better then that.

Id love to have another 372. Open the muffler up and run it like you stole it

Well, after much waffling, I got the 461. A local dealer and a shop with a good reputation made my mind up.

So, one quick question, and I am sure there will be more, is there any peculiarity to this saw I need to be aware of? For example, so Husqvarna saws were set really lean from the factory way back and caused damage.

I plan to hit the wood yard this afternoon or tomorrow if it stops raining, so I just want to be sure all is gtg beforehand.

I know a guy, who is huge, who runs an 880 as a firewood saw... it's his first saw so he really didn't quite understand just how big that saw is.

Wow. Thank God my first saw was a 35cc homeowner. However, I was a teen with no experience, by myself in the woods. Guys in my family ran saws but never around me.

I'm very comfortable with saws at this point and I still wouldn't get enjoyment out of running an 880 for firewood. He should have got some help on that decision.

Well, after much waffling, I got the 461. A local dealer and a shop with a good reputation made my mind up.

So, one quick question, and I am sure there will be more, is there any peculiarity to this saw I need to be aware of? For example, so Husqvarna saws were set really lean from the factory way back and caused damage.

I plan to hit the wood yard this afternoon or tomorrow if it stops raining, so I just want to be sure all is gtg beforehand.
I trimmed the limiter and opened my H open enough to please me....

I love the saw, know I don't know how I did with out it..

Back