Hand filing chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK some more pics to check out.I did this free hand,and it feels a lot sharper.Let me know what you think.View attachment 530885
I can't quite tell from this picture but it appears the edge has a curve to it. You want the top plate edge to be straight as you sight along it. If it's just the picture then please ignore!

I can't quite tell from this picture but it appears the edge has a curve to it. You want the top plate edge to be straight as you sight along it. If it's just the picture then please ignore!
It was not quite strait good eye. I didn't notice till I took the pics,but went back and got it straight now. Was there anything else that could use improvement.

so im slow, just realized square filing is different then round file on a full chisel chain... is one better then the other? harder to do square filing then round? can you change from round to square on same chain?

Filing square can be more difficult to learn than round. It's a more efficient cutting edge so it'll cut faster and smoother. And with the right angles it will last longer than round. You can sharpen any full chisel square. All of my square has been converted from round.

so im slow, just realized square filing is different then round file on a full chisel chain... is one better then the other? harder to do square filing then round? can you change from round to square on same chain?
Only full chisel chain can be filed / ground square. Square is much harder to do, and requires a much more expensive grinder.
Yes, you can convert, but you will lose a lot of tooth life changing, or going back and forth.

MANY separate threads devoted specifically to square filed chains - best to do a search for those, than to try and replicate all of that info in here.
'Google': 'arboristsite square filed chain'; 'arboristsite square ground chain'; 'arboristsite square filing'; 'arboristsite who square files'; etc. (slightly different results for each).

Philbert

Do u NEED a grinder? Can u change from round to square with file or is that a lot of work

-Efisher26-

Do u NEED a grinder? Can u change from round to square with file or is that a lot of work
Yes, it is a LOT of work, with really expensive ($8-$12 ?) files that do not last very long. Most people would buy square ground chain to start with, or grind first, using the files to maintain the edges.

Philbert

-Efisher26-

No you don't need a grinder. One that will do square isn't cheap either. It would be easier to learn how to on already squared cutters. Or even better if you can find someone to show you.

Also when converting just get the working edges sharp. No need to get the side plate fully squared. It'll still cut well and save the life of a file.

I am just starting with round filing, but how was the switch to square filing. Or should I say how long did you file round before switching to square.

I have only one 81DL square ground chain, which I got just to try and learn. I made a separate chain vise for it because the one I had would not work with the file angles required. I like how it cuts, and it was interesting, but the files are expensive, filing it takes more time and I just don't see enough advantage in hardwood firewood cutting for my uses. Heck, I mostly use semi chisel anyway.

Had another hand filing question. The top plate is usually ground or filed at 25° or 30°, question is would there be any benifit to going more angle or less angle even. Im sure somone has tried it so what say yee?

I thing harder wood likes less angle, and soft, more angle. Less angle "chips" hard wood, more angle cuts the soft wood to help it chip more. I THINK That what i read, i could be wrong

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Latest posts

Back