Hand filing - Matching Brand Files To Brand Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason, we only seem to use ‘rods’ for describing canoe portages these days. But the old property descriptions I had to work with had lots of interesting terms!

Philbert

Any which way you measure it, by the gallon or the foot- 279 feet of chain is going to be a nightmare to go through and match chain manufacturer to manufacturers branded file...... :dizzy:

You think modern Toyotas are bad- you should have owned a Mitsubishi or Mazda back in the 1970's- those things rusted away in front of your eyes like Spring snow melt! Bolts and all! :laugh:
My brother bought a brand new 1980 TOY, short wheel base, I had just bought a brand new GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 and had less than 2,000 miles on it. His TOY lasted 5 years and was done,rusted beyond repair even though it was undercoated same as my GMC. I kept my truck for 34 years and passed it on to a friend that still drives it to this day.

My brother bought a brand new 1980 TOY, short wheel base, I had just bought a brand new GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 and had less than 2,000 miles on it. His TOY lasted 5 years and was done,rusted beyond repair even though it was undercoated same as my GMC. I kept my truck for 34 years and passed it on to a friend that still drives it to this day.

Yes, but to be fair- I was talking 2WD cars, not 4WD trucks.
Those old Land Cruisers were rustbuckets for sure- 100 times worse if used for farm work. You drive over fields, fields had livestock in them, livestock crap on fields and that crap is flicked up by tyres- goodbye guards!
That and floor pans, windscreen frames, body seams......... yep, they knew how to fall apart- that is why I liked the aluminium bodied Land Rover. :laugh:

Toyota`s today seem to have mostly overcome the real rusty problems except for the bolts on the engine, transmission and suspension. If they get covered with undercoating not so bad but the ones that remain dry, well they self destruct, had a difficult time getting them out to remove an alternator, wouldn`t want to tackle an exhaust manifold removal without acetylene gear.

Question remains, how many feet of chain in a 5 gallon bucket....LOL
IDK... I haven't got that far yet .I was way too busy stuck on stupid,, OCD'ed right out of my head wondering why he measured a solid object in a liquid measurement?
If I convert his 8 gallons in my head then it should be about 25,500 cc
See that makes SOOOO much more sense.
But that was 8 gallons converted, right?

I

IDK... I haven't got that far yet .I was way too busy stuck on stupid,, OCD'ed right out of my head wondering why he measured a solid object in a liquid measurement?

I

But...... was it an Oregon bucket, Stihl bucket, Carlton bucket......? :innocent:

But...... was it an Oregon bucket, Stihl bucket, Carlton bucket......? :innocent:
to keep the theme going..lol
Now that's going to mess with me 2 more hours.
No wait...sometimes the answers just come to me.
___
No, f* it !
It's a bucket..
And a buckets a bucket?

What do you think?

I
I only have 5 gallon buckets of chain, no idea really how many feet of chain in them. Most reels have near 300' and it looks like a bucket could hold at least 3 rolls plus a bit, maybe get 1,000' in there if carefully placed. Still would only need one file size as its all Stihl chain...LOL

I imagine it would be worse on the east coast with the wind than east coast of Vancouver island.
Those early to mid 70s Toyota and Datsun were rust buckets by early 80s
Not much around by mid 80s

I imagine it would be worse on the east coast with the wind than east coast of Vancouver island.
Those early to mid 70s Toyota and Datsun were rust buckets by early 80s
Not much around by mid 80s

We have predominately onshore winds here that carry salt air far inland, salt and most untreated steel rust very badly. I have always lived close to the coast where there is condensation forming 300 plus days out of the year.

As a former land surveyor; a ‘chain’ is 66 feet. There are 4 ‘rods’ (16-1/2 feet) in a chain. An area of 10 square chains (10 x 66’ x 66’) is an ‘acre’ ( 43,560 square feet).

Your mileage may vary.

Philbert
Philbert,
I laid out 10 square ground chains and it doesnt cover an acre, what am I doing wrong?

to keep the theme going..lol
Now that's going to mess with me 2 more hours.
No wait...sometimes the answers just come to me.
___
No, f* it !
It's a bucket..
And a buckets a bucket?

What do you think?
But the Oregon buckets are softer, so may expand when full, the Stihl buckets are harder, but not as hard as some Carlton buckets.

Philbert,
I laid out 10 square ground chains and it doesnt cover an acre, what am I doing wrong?
Has to do with the pitch of the ground, which has to match the pitch of the chain (unless it is a cricket field, in which case it would be the pitch of the pitch, compared to the pitch).

Philbert

But the Oregon buckets are softer, so may expand when full, the Stihl buckets are harder, but not as hard as some Carlton buckets.
*smiles* funny cat.
I was in the middle of answering Jerry but you bring up such a good point that I got stuck in my tracks again.
Are we talking oregon chain in an Oregon bucket or what? Then what model chain?
We talkin Fisher price of boat anchor stuff?
..And.if it expended then is it Stihl considered 25,500ish cc or as you folk prefer "5 gallon bucket worth "
So many variables.
The question is
"To be or not to be"

*smiles* funny cat.
I was in the middle of answering Jerry but you bring up such a good point that I got stuck in my tracks again.
Are we talking oregon chain in an Oregon bucket or what? Then what model chain?
We talkin Fisher price of boat anchor stuff?
..And.if it expended then is it Stihl considered 25,500ish cc or as you folk prefer "5 gallon bucket worth "
So many variables.
The question is
"To be or not to be"

Yes, one must only place Oregon chains into ones Oregon buckets and only touch thine cutters with ones Oregon branded file- unless ones chain of choice is Stihl, then one must head to Harrods hardware department to purchase oneself a Stihl bucket and under NO circumstance should one EVER consider a bucket deemed to be AM!

An' we all don't gets no 5 gallon buckets over here! They only come as 20 litre versions! :laugh:

Back