Hand filing - Matching Brand Files To Brand Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question remains, how many feet of chain in a 5 gallon bucket....LOL
About 175 feet for loops of chain.
But...... was it an Oregon bucket, Stihl bucket, Carlton bucket......? :innocent:
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. It’s 2 Chevron buckets. I can only afford freebie generic buckets, the Stihl ones are too pricey. Also, you forgot about Archer buckets?
Any which way you measure it, by the gallon or the foot- 279 feet of chain is going to be a nightmare to go through and match chain manufacturer to manufacturers branded file...... :dizzy:
Nah, there were only Oregon and Stihl chains, along with a single Archer. I sorted it all it by dl count and manufacturer in a morning. Sharpening all that chain by hand is a nightmare of epic proportions, but for me my time is free and a grinder isn't.

I only have 5 gallon buckets of chain, no idea really how many feet of chain in them. Most reels have near 300' and it looks like a bucket could hold at least 3 rolls plus a bit, maybe get 1,000' in there if carefully placed. Still would only need one file size as its all Stihl chain...LOL
Really ? 300' to a roll. Have never seen more that 100' & 25FT'er on the west coast.
Maybe you guys are compensating for something? IDK?...lol
I'm thinking in reverse (as I always do),,of course we would do it from the middle out.
I'm thinking math says you could stack about 100' around the edge of a bucket. On the next row you slip the driver between and I guess you get almost about 400Ft ish on 5 rows?
Keep in mind, the first middle 5 inch will only yield you about 40 ft

Maybe you will get 600 -700 ft

Timber cutting sure made me understand the difference of volume in diameter.
Since I was just a contract faller then it's all pretty useless information.
Then I started applying this method to pizza dia vs toppings vs money.

Really ? 300' to a roll. Have never seen more that 100' & 25FT'er on the west coast.
Maybe you guys are compromising for something? IDK?...lol
I'm thinking in reverse (as I always do),,of course we would do it from the middle out.
I'm thinking math says you could stack about 100' around the edge of a bucket. On the next row you slip the driver between and I guess you get almost about 400Ft ish on 5 rows?
Keep in mind, the first middle 5 inch will only yield you about 40 ft

Maybe you will get 600 -700 ft

Timber cutting sure made me understand the difference of volume in diameter.
Since I was just a contract faller then it's all pretty useless information.
Then I started applying this method to pizza dia vs money.
Texas sized rolls. Canadian gallons are bigger than US ones, therefore the 5 gallon buckets are also larger, maybe still get 1,000 feet in there.

Texas sized rolls. Canadian gallons are bigger than US ones, therefore the 5 gallon buckets are also larger, maybe still get 1,000 feet in there.
LMFAO
Lol
That's great.
As the metaphor goes..

It's all bigger in Texas and Nova Scotia...
..no wait a minute?
Good one...can't stop gutting myself.

‘They’ should throw in a free grinder with each bucket of chains.

Philbert
That would be nice, but the chains were a gift from a logger buddy who used to cut a new loop of chain instead of sharpening his current one. If I valued the chains at half the price of new, ~20 $30 chains, ~20 $20 chains, and I'll just say $100 in misc small chains, $1100 worth of dull but with plenty of life chains is a pretty nice gift, even without a grinder included.

How about a box?, I have many boxes of chain.
C'mon man! Everyone knows that big box chain is cheaper quality than other chain! Next you're going to say that you didn't know that chipper chain is more cheerful than the other chain types....

I only saw "Texas sized rolls"

Maybe you added on more just as I quoted or I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other?
Jerry! Maybe you didn't get the memos but Canada hasn't used imperial gallons other than on a 5 gallon mark along side the litre and US 5g mark on gas jugs. Yeah we went to metric in about...... Oh, IDK, '78 and Carter pardoned the draft dodgers in '79 eh?...Haha
Crazy, when I was in Montana about 3 yrs ago I saw bottles of soft drinks marked in litre(s) I just froze there with a big smile and gazed for a few minutes. That's something I never thought I would see.
Canada is all about selling drinks in litres (semetric quantities) but when it comes to oils, we have to buy it in 3.79 L
They make them big in Texas ...Yeah,, big rolls with little jugs.
Aaaaaaaahhhaahhaha

BUT, what if you took all your chain to a foundry, got them to melt it down and then pour it into your bucket- no air gap then!
That would give the total definitive answer of feet per bucket.

Unless you have a mixture of 404 down to 3/8LP.........

Who mentioned them Archer chains? Those are just the result of Aussies trying to trick you- they are still that AM stuff I was trying to warn you all about- besides an Archer don't have him no bucket- he has a quiver! ;)

C'mon man! Everyone knows that big box chain is cheaper quality than other chain! Next you're going to say that you didn't know that chipper chain is more cheerful than the other chain types....
Muh boxed chain came in real wood boxes, made before 1962 from some very good metallurgical steel. Later chain came on reels but no matter, I never bothered to see or find out how much I could put in a five gallon bucket made before we were forced to use ,metric. I keep every old item made before metric change over and discard the stuff made after. Sorry, Tom , sort of buggered up your thread.

Muh boxed chain came in real wood boxes, made before 1962 from some very good metallurgical steel. Later chain came on reels but no matter, I never bothered to see or find out how much I could put in a five gallon bucket made before we were forced to use ,metric. I keep every old item made before metric change over and discard the stuff made after. Sorry, Tom , sort of buggered up your thread.

Buggered up? I actually thought it was interesting now. :happybanana:

Buggered up? I actually thought it was interesting now. :happybanana:
It may take me a day or so to find me old files to match me old chains just to find out if they file me old chains better than the new Stihl files will. have to be scientific ya know.

J
BUT, what if you took all your chain to a foundry, got them to melt it down and then pour it into your bucket- no air gap then!
That would give the total definitive answer of feet per bucket.

Unless you have a mixture of 404 down to 3/8LP.........

Who mentioned them Archer chains? Those are just the result of Aussies trying to trick you- they are still that AM stuff I was trying to warn you all about- besides an Archer don't have him no bucket- he has a quiver! ;)
Yeah, you don't think we didn't all think about that already???
It's Cause the bucket will melt, dummy

J
Yeah, you don't think we didn't all think about that already???
It's Cause the bucket will melt, dummy

Shucks, ya think?
Pretty sure them soft Oregon ones would, maybe the harder Stihl ones would..... but not fully, better use a Carlton bucket? :dizzy:

Shucks, ya think?
Pretty sure them soft Oregon ones would, maybe the harder Stihl ones would..... but not fully, better use a Carlton bucket? :dizzy:
That's probably a no brainer.
Pretty use you could put moltin Oregon chain in a Carlton plastic bucket.

No, I think that would be fine BUT I am getting a little burnt out.

Latest posts

Back