Hard Woods!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i knew a guy that had 30 cords of wood that couldnt be cut with a chainsaw. ok so my question is does anyone on here have wood thats this hard or even harder. when i mean hard it was to be broken with a sledge.

well as far as i know its not petrified its just hard and well it burns well from stories i heard throwing to much mohagony( the wood i was talking about) in the stove can actually get it almost up to melting point. its great barbeque wood to.

Ive been looking again for the BTUs of Mahogany. I was sure it was dense and in the ballpark of 35MMBTUs per cord. Hedge is tough green. 50 year old posts are like iron and will quickly dull good cutters.

Never tried to cut any Mahogany. 30 cords seems like a waste of furniture wood for heat.

i knew a guy that had 30 cords of wood that couldnt be cut with a chainsaw. ok so my question is does anyone on here have wood thats this hard or even harder. when i mean hard it was to be broken with a sledge.

Sounds like an Urban Myth Joe......unless it is petrified wood.

Kind of like the old joke about the Quebecois wood cutter Jacques that complained about how hard it was to saw with the Stihl. Brought it back to the dealer who started it up. Jacques asked: " What's that noise ? " Drum roll.

We have dead standing oak that dulls chains fast because of the grit that is sucked up under the bark. Frozen wood like hickory or locust is tough. But wood that "couldn't be cut....", forget it.

Ive been looking again for the BTUs of Mahogany. I was sure it was dense and in the ballpark of 35MMBTUs per cord. Hedge is tough green. 50 year old posts are like iron and will quickly dull good cutters.

Never tried to cut any Mahogany. 30 cords seems like a waste of furniture wood for heat.

Sounds about right to me in terms of btu's, etc. I doubt it's much harder than hedge or ironwood. More likely than not someone doesn't know how to sharpen a chain. I can only imagine how many $$$ per board foot mahogany would bring...

Soooo how did he have it if it couldn't be cut???? Was is still standing? Did he cut it with a wet saw?:biggrinbounce2:

I have some Hophornbeam (some call it Ironwood) around here. Very very hard, but it can be cut. The only one I have worked with that will dull anything fast is Ipe from Brazil.

well the guy and his 3 other brothers cut it by notching it with an axe about half way through and hit it with a sledge on the other side and it would crack and break off. well not only he tried to cut it with a saw but he would always get a kick when guys with there saws thought there saws were tough and they would start their cut and find out how dull the chain is. it might be petrified but that means that the tree starts to turn to stone and i dont think it happens within a 20 year period.

well the guy and his 3 other brothers cut it by notching it with an axe about half way through and hit it with a sledge on the other side and it would crack and break off. well not only he tried to cut it with a saw but he would always get a kick when guys with there saws thought there saws were tough and they would start their cut and find out how dull the chain is. it might be petrified but that means that the tree starts to turn to stone and i dont think it happens within a 20 year period.

Any leaves or anything, basically was it living or dead?

Oh please...

cut it by notching it with an axe

OK...we've taken 30 cords of rock hard wood and notched it half way with an axe...then surrendered the axe in favor of a sledge...

And..................we started this about, say, 1963? And are we done yet? How are our rotator cuffs? Still intact?

I'm with basso...

My guess is that this guy has some wood (mahogany) that has been stored in log form for 20 years for whatever reason. If so it may be like our old hedge posts in the midwest where they are so hard you have to drill a hole in the post to drive a nail in them.

If it was that bad I would look into some of the carbide coated chain. It is moderately expensive but should last through the wood he has to cut. From what I understand it doesn't cut as fast but does cut longer in abrasive conditions. Wouldn't your axe get dull too?

I have cut honeylocust that had been girdled and knocked down along a field on one of the river bottoms around here. It had been flooded so there was a lot of sand in the bark. About 5 cuts through an 18-20" log and the goody was out of the sharpening on round chisel chain. Another 10 cuts and the chain was done. The wood does seem to burn well. (in the stove as we speak):)

Don.

well they hit it with a sledge cuz its not exactly easy to notch both sides so they would make it a little easier.
well i guess it all depends on the quality of your axe wether it is made out of good steel or the cheap stuff i had to cut copper wire the other day with a hatchet( i was doing some salvage work) and the bit never even showed a sign of abuse. i'll try to get some pictures we have some in our wood pile but it aint much but it sure weighs a lot though.

Last edited:
Joe,

Just bustin' yer chops on the petrified wood.

You say it's some sort of Mohagany?

A Pic would be great.

I dunno about wood so hard ya gotta shatter it rather than cut it, but because of the sand around here(And where you are at) the trees eat saw chains. The Silica is in the wood and bark. Regular cheapo Oregon chains are good for about 10 cuts and then it's shooting powder.

As for hard, water soaked and frozen logs is about all we got here.
Everything else will cut with the saw.

The carbide chains are expensive, but will cut anything on this planet worth burning.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

lol ah yes the stereotypes cant do anything or say anything with out the stereotypes oh well pretty low.:(

Lighten up Joe :dizzy: , they're plenty of jokes and sterotypes about all of us. :monkey:

Heard about the redneck bathtub ?.....................Drum Roll please.

How about "The Shortest Books Ever Written" ? Pro Bowl Asian Right Guards.
Drum Roll Please........

And.............Equal time.

Heard the one about the Politically Correct _________ ?....:dizzy:

Back