Hardest Timber you cut with your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen sparks from Osage.Cuttin' right at dusk.Clean fresh cut logs.
Sharpening the chain after every tank.Hottest damn fire I've ever built.
Put you in mind of a coal fire.
Locust doesn't even come close.

If anyone has cut at dusk, sparks can be seen regardless of the wood being cut. It's simply the moving parts of the bar, tip and chain,
John
I've got some dead Ash, Red Oak and Locust in the wood pile. I'll try it after Xmas and see. You may be right.You may not, we''ll see.

Hedge.. (osage orange, bodark... whatever) hands down.. go try and cut a corner hedge post off with a new chain and wonder if you'll have all the teeth still on it when you get through it :) ... after that probably bur oak.. which is easy cutting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

This stuff right here....hard on chains for sure. Makes good fence post though. And my 105 year old house sits on these stumps.

Yup...Osage-Orange. Great wood. Burns HOT. Tough on chains and other wood working implements.

JQ

I have seen sparks from Osage.Cuttin' right at dusk.Clean fresh cut logs.
Sharpening the chain after every tank.Hottest damn fire I've ever built.
Put you in mind of a coal fire.
Locust doesn't even come close.

Hedge.. (osage orange, bodark... whatever) hands down.. go try and cut a corner hedge post off with a new chain and wonder if you'll have all the teeth still on it when you get through it :) ... after that probably bur oak.. which is easy cutting

:agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2:

All wood that has been mentioned is a cake walk when comparing
to Osage Orange (Hedge)

A post of 50 to 100 year old hedge will weigh as much as
the same size piece of green oak or hickory. Our house was built in
1903, I pushed out the old yard fence corner post's with a dozer.
Not one of them broke off, they cut a big swath in the ground coming out.
Once hedge is seasoned out, am betting it may be the hardest wood in U.S.
You mite as well say that it is impossible to drive a fence staple into
after it has dried.
Trouble is it's just hard to find a good straight piece of hedge to do much with.

TT

Somehow, grits will get into a tree and produce sparks when cutting, and it's not always near the stump. I guess when the tree was growing, it took some grits up with it. I've seen it alot over the years.

:agree2: Yep you can get sparks from hard wood, And no it dosent take metal to metal to make sparks as some have stated, what the hell are those sparks you get from a grinding stone? The minerals , sand , or what ever else is in the wood , will make sparks, like hedge it will spark !!!!

The wood came out of this mudslide.

attachment.php

And down the road to have the rootwads lopped off by Twinkle.
attachment.php

The chain lasted longer between filings than I figured.

We have around here what is called "ironwood" .. i remember cutting with my father about 50 years ago when he said "dont cut that one" and i did anyway..he was not happy after having to sharpen the chain after cutting down an 8 inch tree :)
they dont grow very big,an 8in one is fairly large so they are pretty much left alone anyway..

You CAN drive a staple into a hedge post.. wait until it rains for 2 or three days and THEN go out in the mud and do it.. it still abour breaks your arm, but she'll stick and stay forever

You CAN drive a staple into a hedge post.. wait until it rains for 2 or three days and THEN go out in the mud and do it.. it still abour breaks your arm, but she'll stick and stay forever

I will try that, I only have 3/8 mile of hedge post and 1/4 mile of hedge row.
But the hedge row doesn't need any fence anymore.

TT

I will try that, I only have 3/8 mile of hedge post and 1/4 mile of hedge row.
But the hedge row doesn't need any fence anymore.

TT

You pretty well owe me rep for that :p ... and i'm positive. get 2 or 3 days of that slow easy rain and they'll staple right in. if you have a hedge row thats thick enough you don't need a fence than you're just now getting them big enough :) never thin them until you cut the whole damn thing down

the hardest tree i ever tried t cut with my saw was a red oak that been hit by lighting. it will dull a chain every 2 blocks you cut off

If anyone has cut at dusk, sparks can be seen regardless of the wood being cut. It's simply the moving parts of the bar, tip and chain,
John

Yep...

In this area (west side Oregon) we have Pacific Yew and Pacific Madrone which are both hard to cut after dying and being weather-hardened. I've seen some Madrone that also cut like glass. Mountain Mahogany is nasty on the east side. Dead Manzanita isn't any fun to cut either.

I've cut a lightning struck Red Oak as well, hard as a rock and a bear to split! I've cut railroad ties, nasty! Standing dead Pin Oak, downed Locust and Hickory, not Shag bark mind you, but nothing compares to seasoned Osage Orange! Nothing! Green with a sharp chain and if kept sharp, it's not bad, dried, yeah your going to be there for a while!

Latest posts

Back