Hardest Timber you cut with your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Persimmons.. i have some of these tree's in my back yard.. i've thinned them out with my 250 stihl. Didn't seem to hurt the chains any. So i'm suprised that its so hard on a chain according to you guys. Might be, but I sure haven't noticed it, didn't try to burn it either just stuck it on the truck and sent it to the brush pile

I think Persimmons is like Osage Orange it's not to bad to cut until
it is seasoned out, it gets much harder as all wood does when it drys.

TT

Might make sense trigger. but then i just walked out there w/ a ms250 and didnt' have any problems cutting some 4" limbs that have been dead probably a year laying on the tround, weren't punky.. i'm gonna see if the #####es will burn!

working with hedge all my life...

dad's gots lots of hedge in the backyard. learned at an early age that you use the "hedge apples" to throw into the brush piles to scare out the rabbits so you can shoot them if you're not using beagles. gnarly trees that are the highest btu content in north america if the thread on here about wood is correct. bastards to shoot at deer through. just cut through one thursday that fell on the neighbor's fence. still growing even thugh it broke away from the main stump. wider than the 24" windsor on the makita 6401. had to be extra careful so as not to go through and hit the fence it was laying on. they make a new chain seem dull right away. no big chips thrown there! many a guy has melted his woodburner accidently filling it with nothing but hedge. a great wood to add to softer loads to keep the woodburner going strong but don't use full strength! lovely trees to fill a gully with-that's about it.

Might make sense trigger. but then i just walked out there w/ a ms250 and didnt' have any problems cutting some 4" limbs that have been dead probably a year laying on the tround, weren't punky.. i'm gonna see if the #####es will burn!

I will find out one day, I have one that is 10 to 12 inch dia Persimmon tree
that has been blown half way down. It's hug up in other trees, am going
to mill it up this spring.

Eastern Red ceder is about as soft a wood as you can cut
around here. But let the limbs and heart wood dry out and
it gets a heck of alot harder.

TT

The Hedgeapple trees grow in the weirdest ways too. They'll have limbs going every which way. The fruits have this milky like substance in them thats real sticky.

They make great target practice too. The best actually. :D

Alot of people stay away from cutting them around here but not me. I love the firewood in them. I reserve that for my parents, not for sale.

I cut a mulberry at our church about 10 years back that was pretty tough. The good news was it burned very hot in my fireplace. The bad news was it would pop while burning. I loaded it up one night right before bedtime and had to stay up with it half the night to make sure it didn't burn the house down.

On the same church property, we cut down a big bois d'ark (horseapple) tree. Not only was the wood like steel, it had many years of nails in it from people's lost dog, garage sale, and other signs since it was on the corner. That was one of those efforts that I showed up willing to help, but conveniently left my saw at home.

I will find out one day, I have one that is 10 to 12 inch dia Persimmon tree
that has been blown half way down. It's hug up in other trees, am going
to mill it up this spring.

Eastern Red ceder is about as soft a wood as you can cut
around here. But let the limbs and heart wood dry out and
it gets a heck of alot harder.

TT

Eastern Red Cedar has been the death of a lot of pasture's in Oklahoma... i fight them EVERY year... no matter what, spray them, burn them, cut the bastards off.. they are like herpies.. they keep coming back. They are encroaching up here in Kansas in my pastures too, but SOME PEOPLE plant the god forsaken things... i HATE them.. they spread like wild fire, and you can't get rid of them... if only a goat would eat them :)

the hardest timber I ever fell was a big douglas fir. The tree was so tall I couldn't see the top very well and had a hard time judging where it wanted to fall. Not only that but I was using a Stihl 032 with a 20" bar on a tree that was 40" through the center. About half way thru the back cut the wind kicked up and blew the tree over 90 degrees from where I planed, which made getting the wood to the truck twice as hard. Now I know that douglas fir is soft wood, but that was the hardest I have ever worked to get wood.

Northern Michigan Iron wood. One cut one chain. Don't even think about chiesel chain.
ZG

Hornbeam ain't fun.

I just found a dead standing Elm that might equal a good Ironwood though.

I started to make the face and got sparks. Had I not just filed the dadgum chain I would have sworn I needed to. Just darn hard fossilized, and dry as a bone. Got down to a thin hinge and it kept standing, and the hinge finally snapped with two wedges and a cable tug from the Quad.

No nails, as it bucked up like the felling cuts, and chewed up a good Carlton semi chisel chain on the 372.

I dunno if it means anything, but the Morels liked that spot last year.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Eastern Red Cedar has been the death of a lot of pasture's in Oklahoma... i fight them EVERY year... no matter what, spray them, burn them, cut the bastards off.. they are like herpies.. they keep coming back. They are encroaching up here in Kansas in my pastures too, but SOME PEOPLE plant the god forsaken things... i HATE them.. they spread like wild fire, and you can't get rid of them... if only a goat would eat them :)

It is going to be hard to hate them more than I :)
I had been fight them for years, Then in I declared war on them in 1996.

Eastern Red Cedar had taken our farm over before we bought it.
As long as you cut, or bush hog them off below any green they
will not sprout back.
Even a very cool fire will kill them.....they can't take any kind of fire.

TT

Hornbeam ain't fun.

I just found a dead standing Elm that might equal a good Ironwood though.

I started to make the face and got sparks. Had I not just filed the dadgum chain I would have sworn I needed to. Just darn hard fossilized, and dry as a bone. Got down to a thin hinge and it kept standing, and the hinge finally snapped with two wedges and a cable tug from the Quad.

No nails, as it bucked up like the felling cuts, and chewed up a good Carlton semi chisel chain on the 372.

I dunno if it means anything, but the Morels liked that spot last year.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Some nice fella gave me neg. rep for sayin' I have thrown sparks in the past on some old dead Pin Oak.

Agreed on the petrified Elm too, Love Morels, gotta get up to Alpena this Spring!

attachment.php

Some nice fella gave me neg. rep for sayin' I have thrown sparks in the past on some old dead Pin Oak.

Agreed on the petrified Elm too, Love Morels, gotta get up to Alpena this Spring!

attachment.php

I hear ya on the Morels!

Man I can't get enough of those things. I find most of mine on the riverbanks around the Sycamore trees. Some places they'll be some and some places there won't.
Seems also that you'll find a good spot one year, cut them off and leave the root like you're supposed to, and still go back the next year and not find a one.
I have never read any hard proof of where they grow, but I have seen most under or around Sycamore, Poplar, and apple orchards. Old Apple orchards will be full of them sometimes.

Dunno,

My Dad was a master Morel hunter, Old apple orchard up by Cadillac is where he found his Mother Lode. (like 3 big coolers full)

Also heard a lightning struck Elm wil bring em up like weeds.

I have never hit it big, 50-60 is about my top number.

Course never hunted them in MI! (yet)

Dunno,

My Dad was a master Morel hunter, Old apple orchard up by Cadillac is where he found his Mother Lode. (like 3 big coolers full)

Also heard a lightning struck Elm wil bring em up like weeds.

I have never hit it big, 50-60 is about my top number.

Course never hunted them in MI! (yet)

I have found them many times at standing dead elm trees.
They will come up a few years at the dead elm than one year no more.

TT

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the Osage in my back yard. The DP can is for perspective. Not sure how old this sucker is. I just hope I am dead and gone before it needs cutting down.

Last edited:
standing dead for many years honey locust. That was some hard hard wood. It burns very nicely in my stove though. I like it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the Osage in my back yard. The DP can is for perspective. Not sure how old this sucker is. I just hope I am dead and gone before it needs cutting down.

That thing isn't that old, it'll live a while. I cut some down last year and counted the rings and it only had about 40 rings. It was about 35" at the bottom and actually was 2 barbs each 35" grown out from each other in a V. It did make 2 1/2 cords of wood that i've split so far, rest is cut up just needs split

I just took down a 100' shagbark hickory (about 3' diameter) today that was dead for about 2 years. It was tough as nails...Dulled 3 chains in about 30 minutes and was a bear to load. I'll split tommorow but I'm guessing it will yield about 4 cords. The MS362 was realling struggling with it. I may have to buy a MS660....:hmm3grin2orange:

Cut up a few old pear trees on the edge of a field a week ago. They were very hard and created a lot of sparks, dulled the chain almost instantly. Should be good burning though!

Back