Hardy OWB could burn cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so I have a Hardy OWB it's 25 plus years old. Same original design H2 120,000 btu wood heating water circulating furnace. Its heats my house and domestic water no complaints. However I wonder if there is some modifications or improvements, that would or could make it burn cleaner. Now what I am saying is when you load it, it smokes alot for a while. After it runs awhile it burns pretty clean. But just wandering if it could be improved. Before you start I burn year old seasoned wood. But I as soon there are other considerations.

I have the same problem with my H2 hardy. I'm on my 9th year and it doesn't matter what type of wood or seasoned or not. nothing seems to help

I think dry, seasoned wood helps but it still smokes somewhat more than I would like. I don't burn trash except the occasional cardboard box, wood pallet scrap such. I have experimented with how much ash is left in the clean out. Believe it or not it matters a little. If you clean it out completely thing smokes like a tar kiln. Go figure. I wonder sometimes if the air flow via blower intake could help modulate the burn.

Burn locust or hedge that will get rid of smoke.When my H2 fires on that it burns like a jet.

Just was at a trade show in Columbus Ohio this weekend, and talked to a hardy salesman/engineer. He claims to have an add on for h2 and h4 that are supposed to increase efficiency by 20-40%. I think the parts were $200, and are hardy approved, and do not mess up your warranty.

Does hardy sell this part or is it something he made? I would be interested if you have any more info Thanks

Just was at a trade show in Columbus Ohio this weekend, and talked to a hardy salesman/engineer. He claims to have an add on for h2 and h4 that are supposed to increase efficiency by 20-40%. I think the parts were $200, and are hardy approved, and do not mess up your warranty.

Sounds rather unlikely. I do not know the efficiency average and it will vary significantly depending on operation and fuel, but let us say it was 40%, that would take it to 48% or 56%. It would need a complete redesign.

Seasoned wood and short burns would be the easiest upgrade.

Latest posts

Back