hatchet ident/background?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey all, i was given this hatchet years back from my dad, he got it from his dad.. its supposedly hand forged and has a stamp of J W Mcclure on it. anybody know the background on this marking or any quality about them?
what it could be worth?

Hatchet.jpg

Looks similar to a modern day drywall hammer. A modern day roofing hatchet has holes in the blade opposite the nail pulling notch and a knurled nut and bolt that works as a gauge to set your shingle overlap. The drywall hammer has a convex face on the nail driving head to create a dimple in the sheetrock when you set the nail. Drywall mud fills the dimple when taping to create a smooth finish. Being old as that is I would go with the shake shingle theory, the blade being used to split shakes into less than full width when called for.

I always called them camping hatchets. Dad had one when I was a kid and it was one of the most useful camping tools we always took. Drive in the tent spikes and chop up the fire wood, not to mention a decent weapon.

that hatchet has a hand forged look to it. as already noted can't tell until in person.

but since you have a verified history of hatchet. to me that's worth more than anything else.

here's a pic of circa 1830's lathing hatchet used in ship construction hanging on my wall.

hatchet lathing.JPG

Back