Have Orders For 17 Cords!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just a small guy starting out...I have the sales, have the wood, but I dont have a truck. I'm paying someone to deliver it for me and it's costing me $30-40 a cord to him!
I have 6 cords stacked right now and I have an order from 4 people for 17 total cords.

Do you think it's worth trading in my car for a dump truck? AND... Do I turn away these sales because I dont have enough split?

If there's another thread to post this in let me know. I'd love to chat with another firewood seller. Thanks

I don't sell my firewood, but I think the ultimate decision is based on your own economic motivation. If you are going to maximize your profit and you intend to keep selling, then I would say that it is in your best interest to figure out a way to get a truck-even an old pickup-rather than to pay someone for their services.

Just a small guy starting out...I have the sales, have the wood, but I dont have a truck. I'm paying someone to deliver it for me and it's costing me $30-40 a cord to him!
I have 6 cords stacked right now and I have an order from 4 people for 17 total cords.

Do you think it's worth trading in my car for a dump truck? AND... Do I turn away these sales because I dont have enough split?

If there's another thread to post this in let me know. I'd love to chat with another firewood seller. Thanks

if you use the car for travel to go far daily work and need good gas millage don't ,if the truck will make you money yes!

How do you load the guy's truck? Whatever your choice, remember that "cars" have very limited uses and a truck with a dump trailer can actually end up paying for itself. Only plus size models drive cars these days.

You need to figure in all costs associated with the finished product and then decide....

will you be able to produce 17 cords in a timely mannor? If not, you dont want to get in over your head...people calling for "their" firewood is worse than bill collectors...had that happen 3 years ago, when I had 50 cords stolen from the woodlot, when I wasnt there for a 2 week stretch...:chainsaw::censored:

Have you considered pickup selling? By this I mean cust picks up what you have stacked, and price is adjusted.
What I sell is paid for when the cust leaves with it and only the amount they take, no wood is paid for and left at my property.If the price is 130 per cord then the stack is measured before and after and that is 1.00 per cubic foot for what ever they can load in ther veh.Measure in inches and convert too feet for accuracy.

You need to figure in all costs associated with the finished product and then decide....

will you be able to produce 17 cords in a timely mannor? If not, you dont want to get in over your head...people calling for "their" firewood is worse than bill collectors...had that happen 3 years ago, when I had 50 cords stolen from the woodlot, when I wasnt there for a 2 week stretch...:chainsaw::censored:

+1
In your market paying $30-$40 for someone to deliver a cord for you is a bargain. If you are buying a truck to expand into other areas of making money in addition to starting a very small firewood operation, then go for it. If you are buying a truck to deliver 17 cords of wood, don't do it. Sounds to me like you need to slow down.

If $ is an object have you considered a small 4 x 8 trailer that you could pull with your car? Depending of course on what size car you have. Just a thought.
:cheers:

Alot of good advice has been given. We sell firewood during the fall and winter to agument farm income. I would advise you to grow slowly. Make sure there is a clear understanding between you and the buyer on when they expect the wood delivered. That's a huge varible. Whatever you agree on make sure you can deliver by the customer's expectation. It all depends on what you are selling a cord for to determine if it's worth paying someone else to haul the wood. Ninety-nine percent of the time we deliver with a 3/4 ton pickup and trailer on large orders. Only think about trading if your determined to do this as an ongoing business, not just 17 cords. When delivering think of the time lost you could be cutting/splitting, the fuel, tires, and the labor of unloading. We got into a situation last year where we almost over loaded our capacity, there were days that we regretted taking orders, it required us to be out in the worst weather of the year, delivering after dark and really pushed the limits of our operation. We just turned down a wood lots request for 125 cord of oak, we don't want to compromise our current customer base and I don't won't to throw more capital into a business that will go away once the boys graduate college.

Yes all excellent advice....I need my car to travel for work. I do about 75 miles a day! But I was thinking either quitting or suffering with 1 car and driving my wife to work.

Also need the money because the electric trade is slowing down again..\

I appreciate the "slow down" advice...it kinda gave me a breather...

Was out there all day splitting, stacking and planning the stacks.

Trailer wont do since it makes no sense to do 4 trips for 4 cords.(time and gas)

Someone asked how do I load the guys truck. Its me and him loading by hand. Seems like we load 2 cords in 30 minutes and then hit the button at the drop site and dump. :)

You need to find a truck in your area like the one I am selling. Find a descent used 3/4 ton truck to start out with. You could even get by with a 1/2 ton but you will like a 3/4 ton or even a 1 ton alot better. Then you can deliver the wood as needed. Also you will be able to bring wood from else where to your place to stack it.

Ray

Get rid of the car buy a used 3/4 ton diesel truck and a dump trailer. Newer deisel trucks get 20+MPG when not towing. My 02 Dodge is my only ride. Cant see going back to driving a car. Dump trailers are cheap, easy to maintain and can make you money.

yea dont get behind on your fire wood orders specialy as you get closer to winter , your phone will not stop ringing.

Some simple math: if you sell 20 cords in a year and pay your delivery guy $40 a cord to deliver, that's $800.

How much is a beater truck capable of moving a cord at a time that'll pass a CT. inspection? $4000? Plus registration and insurance?

If you plan to triple your business, then maybe it makes sense to get a truck, but if you have a reliable delivery guy, sounds like cheap money to me.

I agree that $800/20 cord isn't bad considering all other costs involved in owning a large truck in CT not including maitenence. Once you figure all that plus vehicle tax we pay here, it gets costly fast!

Yes all excellent advice....I need my car to travel for work. I do about 75 miles a day! But I was thinking either quitting or suffering with 1 car and driving my wife to work.

Also need the money because the electric trade is slowing down again..\

I appreciate the "slow down" advice...it kinda gave me a breather...

Was out there all day splitting, stacking and planning the stacks.

Trailer wont do since it makes no sense to do 4 trips for 4 cords.(time and gas)

Someone asked how do I load the guys truck. Its me and him loading by hand. Seems like we load 2 cords in 30 minutes and then hit the button at the drop site and dump. :)

This comment scares me...

Your not thinking of quiting your job, to sell firewood I hope...

Firewood is blood money and ALL labor...

Most guys who sell firewood and claim to make money from it, are doing it as a second job....(ie: logger who processes the tops into firewood)

I will stand by this statement until firewood reaches $500 a cord:

Firewood is good for making "coffee money"...

Also, tell me this...are you putting enough money aside to perform maintenance on your saws and splitter....

What about when you grab the wrong gas can and blow up your saw? Do you have enough money to get a saw right away?....

I am not trying to be a negative Nancy, I just know what it takes to produce a cord of wood, and its allot of work for little pay....

That being said, I do it because I love cutting wood...

Oh and the setup I have at the woodlot I am working on right now is pretty awesome...:cheers:

ALSO, could you tell me why you are stacking it if you are going to sell it?....you have already handled it enough!

Last edited:
ALSO, could you tell me why you are stacking it if you are going to sell it?....you have already handled it enough!

I would agree, if you are going to sell it delivered, why are you stacking it, I only stack the stuff for customer pick up for when I am not here, and the wife or kids are only here, If it is a delivered load, we scoop it up or conveyor it into the trailer, and deliver it, I always shoot for more, rather than the exact amount, that way my customers stay happy, and when I drop it, I always tell them if there is a problem let me know, and it will be taken care of. I did have one guy once tell me he was a 3 face cord (one cord)short in a 8 face cord trailer, I asked him if he wanted me to deliver him the cord, and he said no he would pick it up, I thought right then that he didnt want me to see his pile. There was no way we were that short, he came and got his wood, and before he left, I asked him to never call me for wood again. My point here is my regular customers, appreciate dry cut and split wood, and know to let me know if there is a problem, and the ones that stack it know that they typically get a little more if they order it delivered, I dont mind giving more because the only time i typically touch the wood is carrying it to the splitter, from there it is up the conveyor into the truck or into the pile. I know what the trailers hold, and if some one calls and say they are a cord short, I know they are screwing me and I would rather not do business with people like that any way. Eventually those type of people will run out of places to buy there wood, and that wont be my problem

Latest posts

Back