Hearing protection and visor minus hard hat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone makes a visor and hearing protectors without the hardhat. what i am looking for is a system that can be worn with a baseball cap. I cut on the ground and would like that combo. I am looking for the bug shield visor not a clear plastic. I have seen a few but i dont believe the visor sits far enough away for the brim of a ball cap.

I am wondering if anyone makes a visor and hearing protectors without the hardhat. what i am looking for is a system that can be worn with a baseball cap. I cut on the ground and would like that combo. I am looking for the bug shield visor not a clear plastic. I have seen a few but i dont believe the visor sits far enough away for the brim of a ball cap.

Well, to each his own, but as a business owner, I would be nuts to have someone working in that set up -- OSHA, you know.

It's never happened to me, but it IS possible to have kick back send a saw into your head -- might want a hard hat. Also, ever cut shoulder high or better while on the ground? The saw in your hands can be an "overhead hazard".

Just saying.

I am not a buisness owner. I just cut for myself and would like those saftey features. GF says I cant hear her anymore and tired of crap in my eyes. i have Glasses that fog up all the time and lots of earmuffs the I forget to put on. Just thinking if i have the 2 as a unit id remember to wear them more often.

I'll send this over to the Firewood forum. A lot of those guys wear protective head-gear...maybe some of them can help you out.

And, for what it's worth...a hard hat is always a good idea.

I'll send this over to the Firewood forum. A lot of those guys wear protective head-gear...maybe some of them can help you out.

And, for what it's worth...a hard hat is always a good idea.

I got clocked by a pretty large branch this cutting season that would have likely knocked me out had I not been wearing my helmet. I would recommend wearing a hardhat/helmet system from that experience alone not to mention the accidents I've seen on construction sites and industrial plants.

I got the husky helmet combo last summer and its great. Use it all the time, even just bucking. Added bonus, first pair of earmuffs I ever tried that dont pinch my eyeglasses bad.

I only wear radio headphones and glasses. Some people just can't take a hint. This was from a branch breaking on a top laying on the ground. Had a little bit of pressure on it. I must have been listening to Katy Perry and not paying attention. At work I wear a hardhat, gloves, hearing protection and glasses at all times. Your type of gear required depends on what you are cutting. If you are just cutting rounds on logs laying flat on the ground you likely don't need a hardhat. I keep saying I'm going to buy one of the ballcap style hardhat but haven't yet. Don't think I've seen a mesh shield and muff setup.
PS, I'm much younger than this picture shows.
View attachment 276630

I only wear radio headphones and glasses. Some people just can't take a hint. This was from a branch breaking on a top laying on the ground. Had a little bit of pressure on it. I must have been listening to Katy Perry and not paying attention. At work I wear a hardhat, gloves, hearing protection and glasses at all times. Your type of gear required depends on what you are cutting. If you are just cutting rounds on logs laying flat on the ground you likely don't need a hardhat. I keep saying I'm going to buy one of the ballcap style hardhat but haven't yet. Don't think I've seen a mesh shield and muff setup.
PS, I'm much younger than this picture shows.
View attachment 276630

Nice. Did you get a side order of "raccoon eyes" with that? Reminds me of the time I was emptying a pick-up at the green waste drop -- which I always swear is gonna be the last time when I do it on occasion -- and I hit myself in the head with a stick. A green, 2 in by 3 ft. piece of maple, as hard as I could.

Why would I do that? I thought it was big limb -- wasn't. Shoulda coulda woulda had my hard hat on.:clap:

Cutting on the ground is when you need a helmet the most..

I suffered similar issues as the OP. I was using safety glasses everytime I cut but they would fog when I would sweat. Hearing protection was either foam ear plugs or worktunes earmuffs.

I recently bit the bullet and ordered the Husqvarna hardhat with mesh screen and ear muffs. It arrived yesterday and I assembled it today. I'll try it out cutting soon enough but from trying it on at home it seems comfortable.

I wear a carbon fiber hardhat with foam plugs and prescription safety glasses. I refuse to work without a hardhat, only takes one good hit to put you in a nursing home as a drooling idiot. Seen too much strange crap happen in industry and in the woods to even consider taking a chance.

If you sincerely believe you don't need head protection, you're right ... you don't. :rolleyes2:

Alright guys i get the drift. I am a Stihl guy are there hard hats as good as the competition? If i buy a husky hard hat all my friends will laugh n call me names. Maybe i shouldnt have bought that Husky 285 last wk. Guilty as charged. Maybe i did suffer one to many blows to the head.

I have a stihl hard hat right now and it works well. The fit and function is fine, never let me down. I just ordered the husqvarna hard hat so I have a spare and to see if the fit is any better.

Around here, all of the stihl dealers stock the "trimmer/brush cutter" head gear which is as you described. You'd likely have to turn your baseball cap around backwards in order to use both simultaneously.

I ordered the Stihl Pro Mark helmet today. We will see how I get along with these helmets. I am looking forward to the mesh saftey shield.

Yesterday I cut down a standing dead red oak that was about 22 inches at the trunk. I dropped it and got it to come down right on the spot. While I was cutting I made my dog lay back about 15 yards behind me. When the tree hit the ground he jumped up and came trotting to me. I had started to walk over in a clearing beside the tree. I stopped to pet the dog and here comes a limb about 8 inches in diameter falling out of a tree I was headed towards. The limb has broken off the cut tree. When that limb hit the ground I thanked Morgan, my dog, and wondered about a hard hat. But then I decided if I had a had on a hard hat it would have probably kept my head from being split open, but my neck still would have been broken. So I just wonder if it helps?

Latest posts

Back