Heart pounding tree felling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? A 6 pack and a wild thing saw and you can do anything lol

Many years ago the locust borer moved in here and killed lots of Black Locust. When scouting for wood I saw one place that had dozed down a bunch, stopped and asked. His Son-in-law was working on cutting them. I eyeballed them, they were running 24-30" DBH. Saw his equipment 1 Wild Thing and an ax. I offered to help cut them and split 50/50. Done deal but I got much more than 50% when all done as he finally realized he didn't stand a chance with that micky mouse saw.

A few years ago the county cut the trees along the right of way of the county road I live on and these 2 characters decided to cut a cottonwood stump off that was 2 stems coming out of the stump and each stem was about 24" across. The county had cut them off high and for some reason Laurel & Hardy decided they were going to get their free wood from the stump, despite the pile of branches right down the road. They were using a Wild Thing or some other box store Poulan and it took them over 1 1/2 hrs to cut it off. They then rolled it down the embankment and to the rickety old trailer I wouldn't even haul my old crappy mower on they were pulling behind a pretty-well used up rusty mid-90's Ford Ranger.

I have pulled lots of trees using a rope or cable. If i can get high enough in a tree to hook the cable, I can pull a mighty big tree about any way I need it to fall. I had a wood peckered white pine right next to my house. It was leaning right where the power service went from the pole to the house. Other trees made it impossible to pull any direction without doing either serious damage to other trees or striking the house or power line. Had a tree climber come look at climbing and falling from the top down. He wouldnt touch it. Called the power company and they sent a crew that day with a bucket truck. Took down the peckered pine and 3 others that where dead or leaning. Chipped all the brush and was in the process of bucking the rounds when I stopped them. I can move whole tree trunks easier than short rounds. When power lines are involved, it best to let someone do it that has the right equipment and experience to get the job done.

I had another 30in dia white pine almost on my house after a storm. Woke up and looked out the window and had a Oh Crap! moment. I took a cable and snatch block and a 20ft ladder to hook up the cable. I ran the cable thru a snatch block to pull away from the house. My original plans where to just hook to my pickup and put tension on the cable to help hold the tree before it fell on the house. When I started pulling with the truck, the tree just kept coming and I kept going. I was able to pull the tree away from the house, root ball and all. I had the tree on the ground before I even cranked up my saw. Some times you have to take the chance and sometimes you dont. Power lines I dont mess with, but the tree on the house required something be done now. Choose your battles wisely.

I had a dead oak that I let fall naturally because I didn't wanna drop it on my power service. I didn't think the power company would like if I dropped a tree in their line. I have a tall dead standing tree by the road I'm gonna let nature take that one down unless I need the wood so it's got a few years.

Just called a tree service for a bid. I'm clear cutting a willow grove for a farmer just to have something to do. Yesterday I told him I would be out there today to tackle two huge old willow trees right in front of the house. No problem thinks I, the 441 with 32 bar is going to look like a toothpick against the stumps but both lean away from the hosue and I can pretty much 'beaver' them down. Not to be. I saw it as I crawled out of the truck, stems that had grown out of wher the tops had broken off probably 50 or so years ago are crossing and interlocked, one stem is full lodged in a "Y" coming off a stem fron the other tree.

Probably will be a no sale for the tree service unless he cuts me a very good deal. Farmer won't pay. I will take another look at them if Mr. Farmer comes up with a front end loader that can get me high enough to cut the stems one at a time - about 6 of them.

Bid was $250. Pretty stiff for me not needing any wood and working for nothing :). I contact the farmer and see if he wants to split it.

Also a bid of 250 to cut 4-5' off the top of 3 trees that look like the the very tip top small stuff might brush the powerline on the way down if felled normally.

Bid was $250. Pretty stiff for me not needing any wood and working for nothing :). I contact the farmer and see if he wants to split it.

Also a bid of 250 to cut 4-5' off the top of 3 trees that look like the the very tip top small stuff might brush the powerline on the way down if felled normally.
After seeing the top of an oak that snapped off in a freezing rain / high wind event hang from a power line for over a week I'll brush the lines without worrying to much if it's the best option. The oak was ~16" where it snapped and straddled the line with 10-12" limbs.
It does get the adrenaline flowing a bit :)

After seeing the top of an oak that snapped off in a freezing rain / high wind event hang from a power line for over a week I'll brush the lines without worrying to much if it's the best option. The oak was ~16" where it snapped and straddled the line with 10-12" limbs.
It does get the adrenaline flowing a bit :)

20170226_080334.jpg

I'd say they are pretty strong. This was like this when I bought the house. The green box has my electric meter in it and the post is crooked as a result of the tree falling on the line.

Latest posts

Back