Help build Tanaka's new top handle saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on the mini saw concept, but there should be a high end one as well that uses titanium and carbon fiber to make it as light as possible, like 4lb. If it was proven as durable as other pro grade saws I would buy one, even if it cost a grand.

Know how much a sugoi or ichiban weighs? Or even a fanno?

At 9.1 pounds you might as well drag an ms361 with a 1/4 tank of gas and a short bar up the tree.

Eric's reply is dead on. None of the real world features made it to that design.

A better air filter, less fragile on off switch than the Husky 338.
Better cold manners than a Stihl 200, (since they seem to have fixed the carb problem, I will not mention that, I just have to get a new carb for my 200).
A variable timed ignition with a really good timing advance curve. Lots of piston skirt width, for better wear and more room to port. Make the piston squish clearance about .018 plus the thickness of the base gasket.
A good solid place to mount lanyard. No flip up sheet metal eyes or steel rings that slide up the handle.

some good ideas...

(but I've run the 335's since inception, have had but one or two switch issues.....

Make sure the saw is piston ported, and not clamshell design..but bring it in at no more than 7.5 lb...shoot for 2.2 hp......and hi revs, don't restrict the muffler too much....
more room in the handle area than the new 300 series Echos, and the 200T.....filter in the back if possible....

steamlined to fit thru brush like the 338....

all this will be hard if you're meeting EPA...you'll need strato charging, I'm sure....

EDIT...reckon I didn't read the thread....

NO pro will buy that saw......go back to the drawing board.....9.1 lb and 1.6 hp..get real!! sorry, but that's a fact, Jack

Last edited:
Have they lighted up the 192? The ones that I see feel real heavy for 7lbs.
HUH? I now have three, and they're noticably lighter than a 335/338/2139....gutless stock, but I won't run them stock.

Originally, I thought they were spec'd at 6.5 lb...to me they're a joy to use.

Last edited:
k5.jpg

Motley collection of 12" top handle pruning saws, work saws used up trees, the 009 the last ditched desperate, no other saw running, no other option, bottom rated choice, it's better on the ground than up trees, you're better off just not using it, the vibration's evil, gives long dragging nightmares to anyone unfortunate enough to be using it for more than a day. Yep you're better of just not using the 009 and fixing one of the others instead.

The 192T a homeowner style saw, you run the most expensive 2-stoke synthetic available to keep the motor running a long time(you hope!) very light, the handles on this one sprung with two thin looking springs and a rear rubber mount, doubt you'd want to be wrenching too much on those handles, but unbelievable, stihl now copying husky after years of heroic refusal to use springs, wow the die-hard stihl fans must find that hard to swallow, hehe, the 192's muffled engine grunty enough but not a touch on the 335 and 200T, but still better than the dreary dull as ditchwater echo motors.

The poulan a bitter and vindictive machine, infuriatingly unreliable and when you do get it running right it feels like a major accomplishment, even then it'll loosen ya fillings from sheer spite.

The 200T, ferrari motor giving a wicked kick and lightning chainspeed, also the saw hurts your fingers, These ones 1/4 pitch sprocket worm bar and chain setup, 1/4 pitch chain light-years better than 3/8LP chain on 12" bar, and 335 husky the comfortable sleek saw to hold, no trouble with sore hands apart from thick skin on trigger finger, motor snarls when the mufflers opened, then it's up with the 200T on branches. From idle, snagged on a small branch, squeeze the trigger, the 200T tries to haul you towards it, short stroke screamers have a weak point, extreme nit-picking, the husky just cuts the branch when you squeeze the trigger. You can also go the tanaka, echo, morrison, wing -tong route , but don't waste ya time, those type of saws always run out of steam when the going gets hard ... cackle cackle

Can you say Propane Boys and Girls?

@ NTU;
Propane fueled (no ethanol problem; EVER). Oil stays in the crankcase (EPA happy).
Like the new weed eaters, but a top handle chainsaw. Maybe time to refit the entire line for propane. I think all small 2 cycles will end up like this. And like some suggested bring back your larger saws. Be a leader again!
Lou

How difficult would it be to make it convertible? A top handle when in the tree a rear handle on the ground. I visualize two different handles and ball lock pins to lock your choice into position. The throttle could be a cable that connects to the saw body from the chosen handle. This would be perfect for home owners.
Lou

Latest posts

Back