Help, I need advice on a new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorsettseahawk

Reaction score
I need a new saw, i intend on cutting 5 or more cord of wood per year. I'm torn between the 460 Rancher and the Shindaiwa 488 any opinions on either.
I'm kind of leaning toward the Shindaiwa ( even though I don't know much about them.) I have never had anyting that was made in Japan that was bad (Except the food, everything tasted Fishy)

Five or more cords per year? I would look at the 460 or maybe a 353, 346,or maybe even a 359 if the budget allows. The cream of the crop would be either a 346 or the 357.

Welcome to ArboristSite. You may get better results on this question if it is posted (or moved, which I can't do but others can) to the Chainsaw forum.

5 cords is a respectable amount of wood. What type of wood are you going to be cutting, species- and size-wise? That seems an important consideration in helping steer you in the best possible direction.

Husqvarna 460 = 60cc, Shindaiwa 448 should be something like 49cc, right? Unless you'll only be cutting small stuff, the displacement advantage of the 460 seems like a factor that should not be overlooked. Both are respected saws. Though the plastic body of the homeowner/farm/ranch Husqvarna 460 is not especially popular, they do seem to work in non-professional (i.e. not everyday) use.

Neither saw would be my first choice for any purpose, though. If you're limiting yourself to $400, there are better choices out there than either model mentioned. Husqvarna 353 or 359, Dolmar 5100s would be good choices at that pricepoint. Obviously, more money gets you into better/more versatile saws, but that may or may not be something you wish to consider.

A lightly used saw might be a better choice if $400 is your limit, and knowing what I know now I would certainly prefer a lightly used pro-grade saw over a new homeowner-grade one.

Husky 359

This past January I purchased a Husqvarna 359, I beleive it was right at $400 with 24" bar and the 3 chains they throw in. Normally I cut between 10 to 15 cords a year and so far the 359 has handled about 7 cords on its own. I think the 24" bar maybe a little much for the saw but cutting mostly cherry,locust,and maple it does a fine job.

Mike

359 with a muffler mod is SICK!!!!!!!! I got my 359 with a 20" bar, three free chains shipped for $409!!!!! I have always been a Husky person but I did take the time to look at everything out there. I seriously considered a Stihl 290 or 310 but they just felt like boat anchors in my hand. I also tried to buy local but the price difference was huge. Since I was going to mod it anyway that throws the warranty out the window so dealer support was not a factor.

Last edited:
I cut roughly 8 full cord a year with a stihl 290 and an 18" bar. I am on my fifth season with that saw. It also double for felling and gets taken along for our tree business as well. Nice saw, nice price.

hammer0419 said:
359 with a muffler mod is SICK!!!!!!!! I picked mine up at www.*****.com. 359 with a 20" bar, three free chains shipped for $409!!!!! I have always been a Husky person but I did take the time to look at everything out there. I seriously considered a Stihl 290 or 310 but they just felt like boat anchors in my hand. I also tried to buy local but the price difference was huge. Since I was going to mod it anyway that throws the warranty out the window so dealer support was not a factor.

I also did alot of shopping around. Read more literature then I every want to do again before I settled on the Husky.(before finding thise site) From what I gathered performance wise the list goes Stihl and Husky/Jonsered were close to equal for the pro saws followed by echo and then a million other saws on the market. Lot of people make their decision on service...well I'm not a big dealer freak and the only local Stihl dealer seems like he only wants to sell his ATV's. There is a one servicing Husky dealer close by but checked his prices and man were they way out there compared to the online prices. So I decided on the Husky with 24" bar from speedwaysales.com ... I got it for $430 in January but 9 monthes later it seems its $473 delivered. ***** seemed to have it a bit cheaper. Even if this saw should take a crap I've already saved over $100 toward next saw purchase by not buying local from the Stihl or the Husky dealers.
Mike

Like I said I went to three places and the best offer was the 359 for $480 instead of $489 & I had to twist his arm for one free chain and each extra chain (2) for $20 each. So here it is...$480 + 20 + 20 X 8.25% tx = $562.90 - $409 that I paid = a savings of $153.90. How in the hell could I justify paying an extra $154 just to support local dealers? Nice thought but I am not made of money.

dorsettseahawk said:
I need a new saw, i intend on cutting 5 or more cord of wood per year. I'm torn between the 460 Rancher and the Shindaiwa 488 any opinions on either.
I'm kind of leaning toward the Shindaiwa ( even though I don't know much about them.) I have never had anyting that was made in Japan that was bad (Except the food, everything tasted Fishy)
I LIKE THE HUSKY 372 24IN BAR OR STIHL 036 24IN BAR THEY COST A LITTLE MORE BUT WORTH IT IF YOU ARE CARFUL AND ALWAYS HAVE SHARP CHAIN U CAN SAVE A LOT ON CHAINS IF I WAS CARFUL I CAN GET A YEAR OUT A CHAIN USING IT 5 DAYS A WEEK THATS A LOT OF MONEY SAVED JUST BUY CUTTING CARFULY

Back