Help me choose a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When on a budget, do what we all do, watch pawnshops and craigslist.
I paid $400 for my 660 last year and just found an 064 that needs only a little work for $200. I'm in the PNW which makes a difference but just keep watching and something will turn up. (don't bother with ebay)
before you know it buying new saws will come easy,,,
and selling them becomes more difficult......lol

You know how it goes with that, he said he cuts hardwood and wants to mill pine probably wont be long before he mills some hard boards. You can have to much power but can only manufacture so much. I agree with a previous post, you'll probably end up with a big saw might as well do it now. Your 290 will be great with an 80cc + saw, you wont regret it.

I think you are right, soon I'll be wanting to mill all the hardwood. (alot of red and white oak here in the south) As of now, the hardwood lacks girth in my land. I guess the combination of the hilly terrane and densely covered wood. (I've thin out alot hence all the pines that I've been felling)

I guess to stay in my budget, I could always do a used or rebuild 066 or something. Pretty handy with mechanical thing so I'm not real scare to get my hands dirty. Thanks

I don't know about $300 + for a used 290. I'm sure you can pull it off but for me it would be hard sleep at night.

Do you have any j-red dealers in the area?

Well, the 290 is only 2 month old technically still under warranty.

I don't know of any j-red dealer around here. I have one Dolmar in the other side of town.

I think you are right, soon I'll be wanting to mill all the hardwood. (alot of red and white oak here in the south) As of now, the hardwood lacks girth in my land. I guess the combination of the hilly terrane and densely covered wood. (I've thin out alot hence all the pines that I've been felling)

I guess to stay in my budget, I could always do a used or rebuild 066 or something. Pretty handy with mechanical thing so I'm not real scare to get my hands dirty. Thanks

If you have under a thousand you honestly won't regret a 650, I'm pro husky and stihl and think the 650 is a great deal for under a grand. I had guys tell me they were getting it for less than the 460, if you factor in all the free stuff I did to. My bigger saws meaning 70 cc's and up are a 575xp 044 650 372 and love them all but 650 is my bad boy. I wanted the 660 but couldn't see the extra couple hundred for a saw that is overkill for what I need. Not that thats a bad thing.

I love my 361 so much I wouldn't wanna burn it up on a mill

Agreed!! :cheers:

Even though i've never done it it seems to me that when milling, the more power the better and weight is not quite as much of an issue. is that close to right?

...Dolmar is not my first choice of saw since the dealer is in other side of town. Husky or Stihl dealers are in my side of town...

Birmingham isn't THAT big and gas isn't THAT expensive...yet. Go get a 7900. It's price, weight and power combination is unmatched. Don't cheat yourself.

Birmingham isn't THAT big and gas isn't THAT expensive...yet. Go get a 7900. It's price, weight and power combination is unmatched. Don't cheat yourself.

True, but I don't want is to have to make an emergency parts run on the weekend cross town if I don't have to. However, I'm going to make the run tomorrow and check out the dolmar. For the cost, weight and power, I think it might be a winner. Dolmar still sells parts online right?

Back