Help me choose an atv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Reaction score
This may sound a little snooty and I hope I don't come off that way but....

I don't have a price point. Meaning if there is a better machine that is new I will consider it.

That being said, I need an atv that I can use to pull my wagon. I have two requirements. It must have front and rear locking diffs and it must have the grunt to pull what I want.

I don't care how old it is, I don't care if it is pretty, heck I don't care if its pink. I need a reliable machine that I can use.

I would much rather buy used but if there is a bike that goes above and beyond for this purpose please tell me.

Thank you.

I have a grrizzy 700 with power steering its an o7 with 3600 hard miles on it - its been very reliable ! Just have to remember to put in 4 low when pulling the heavy stuff or you will wear out the engine brake bearing ( its called a one way bearing ) Other than that its a beast for a big bore atv. Everyone said not to get the power steering cause it would break - they where all wrong its the best thing on the bike and I will never have another one with out it

I just purchased a 2014 honda pioneer sxs. When I put it in 4 lock it will spin all 4.The rear axle is locked always and the front has a manual locker. I used it to pull 14-18" dia x 10-15' length ash logs outa of the woods the other day and it worked great. Also I was running in 4-6" deep snow. The machine has a receiver big enough for a 2" reese insert. I pulled a 5x8x2 trailer loaded w firewood and it had plenty of power.Close to half a chord. I'm sure that load was over the rated towing capacity. Sticker price was $10,000. Thats cheaper than most other manufacturers.

Have you considered a side by side. I replaced my ATV with a Polaris Ranger two years ago and I love it, so much more handy here on the farm. It has one wheel rear drive, posi rear and all four selectible drive.

I've been very happy with the 4 different Polaris ATVs that I've had. The Polaris system is on-demand AWD so the fronts engage only when needed and it happens automatically on the fly. When the fronts do engage it is both of them so you get all 4 wheels pulling. Whatever you get be sure it has selectable hi/lo range for pulling trailers.

Yes I have thought about sxs. But if I was going to go that route (you may laugh here) I would grab a samurai.

My buddy has several of them. They are by far in stock form the most capable off road rig. And they are cheap. Great aftermarket support and did I mention cheap.

I want an atv for the ability to pull my wagon at home, and then to put on a very small trailer to pull behind my dump truck. I want to use the trailer I haul the atv on to get wood out of the areas I can't get the dump closest enough to.

I was at the yamaha shop this week. They had a used honda (iirc 350) with a plow for 4k. But yet a new 450 yamaha out the door cash was 6400.

I have ridden both bikes with and without power steering, in the conditions I'm pulling from its not a deal breaker.

Have you considered a side by side. I replaced my ATV with a Polaris Ranger two years ago and I love it, so much more handy here on the farm. It has one wheel rear drive, posi rear and all four selectible drive.
I currently have a Ramger and a Honda 420 Atv,,we use the ranger twice as much as the 420.Haul you saw,oil and gas in the bed and pull trailer to haul wood out.

If you are looking for a work quad you can't go wrong with a Honda Foreman.

I don't think you can get one with a stock front locker, but they are available aftermarket.

I have a Polaris 800 and a 6 wheel 4x4 gator. My next hunting atv would be a can am though. My friends that have them have a lot less issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Yamaha Grizzly 700 last year with power steering. I was set to buy a Honda until I looked at Yamaha. They are very sophisticated in the suspension, just look at it.

I also wanted one where the motor/transmission would hold the machine back while going down steep inclines. With the Yamaha I virtually never hit the brakes, just let off the throttle.

Obligatory pics.

99kr2d.jpg

Had to get this so I could pull something around.

zl7msh.jpg

750KQ here. Diff lock, and really good holding back in low range, a must in the hills around here. Rides wonderfully too, very comfortable. Plenty of power too, no worries of keeping up with most, but I ride slow anyways.

The only thing is that it's big, especially me coming from an old 250 fwd quadrunner. I don't feel as comfortable on it in the hairy situations, it seems just as stable though, but also know I can't take it where the ol tank would go.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I just purchased a 2014 honda pioneer sxs. When I put it in 4 lock it will spin all 4.The rear axle is locked always and the front has a manual locker. I used it to pull 14-18" dia x 10-15' length ash logs outa of the woods the other day and it worked great. Also I was running in 4-6" deep snow. The machine has a receiver big enough for a 2" reese insert. I pulled a 5x8x2 trailer loaded w firewood and it had plenty of power.Close to half a chord. I'm sure that load was over the rated towing capacity. Sticker price was $10,000. Thats cheaper than most other manufacturers.

IMO, the only bad thing about the Pioneer is only having a 3 speed transmission with no low. We used to have a Rincon atv with the 3 speed transmission and did not like it at all. Granted the Pioneer could be setup different but still. Why market a machine for work and only put a 3 speed in it? Without having looked at one, that is the only thing stopping me from getting one right now, well that and the price tag.

I would agree with getting a SxS. We have an atv and man would it be nice to have a SxS. Now, they may are a little bigger than atv's so they may not get around as good but I think the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages.

If you are set on an atv, you may want to look at a Honda Rubicon. We have one with over 13,000 miles and it has done everything we asked of it and then some. We have even pulled empty silage wagons with it, we don't do that all the time but it is possible. The only major thing done to it was the engine was rebuilt. The engine was not bad, it needed a new timing chain so while they had it apart, they went ahead and rebuilt it. Before it was rebuilt, the engine still had plenty of compression.

Grizzly or the rubicon
There's many options out there honestly if I was in your shoes I'd just buy an older 600 grizzly or a 350 wolverine both torquey proven built proof and can be had in good shape for under. 3 grand where anything new is going to be double that amount to do the same thing

I have a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin..... Ton's of torque, lot's of clearance and if I get it stuck it's only in only when I am ice fishing in deeeeep powder snow.... Unless you have tracks or a sled where I fish, anything will get stuck. I use mine to skid logs out out of the bush or haul a 5x11 trailer loaded with rounds with no issues. It has only ever had oil changes and regular maintenance till this year, had to replace the solenoid. Great bike, reliable and a real workhorse. I would not think twice about getting a new Polaris.

Ive got a 350 Honda rancher 2wd. Its not fancy but it does everything I need it to do. Only problems Ive had are the brake cables rusting up. Whatever you decide on don't buy below a 350cc model. Anything under 350cc just doesn't seem to have the power for farm use.

IMO, the only bad thing about the Pioneer is only having a 3 speed transmission with no low. We used to have a Rincon atv with the 3 speed transmission and did not like it at all. Granted the Pioneer could be setup different but still. Why market a machine for work and only put a 3 speed in it? Without having looked at one, that is the only thing stopping me from getting one right now, well that and the price tag.

I would agree with getting a SxS. We have an atv and man would it be nice to have a SxS. Now, they may are a little bigger than atv's so they may not get around as good but I think the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages.

If you are set on an atv, you may want to look at a Honda Rubicon. We have one with over 13,000 miles and it has done everything we asked of it and then some. We have even pulled empty silage wagons with it, we don't do that all the time but it is possible. The only major thing done to it was the engine was rebuilt. The engine was not bad, it needed a new timing chain so while they had it apart, they went ahead and rebuilt it. Before it was rebuilt, the engine still had plenty of compression.

My pioneer is "smart" the transmission can detect the way the driver is using the machine. It has two modes ands adjust itself accordingly. I absolutely abused it pulling logs out the other day, not to mention the 5x8x2 trailer full of wood i pulled a couple wks ago. I honestly see no reason for a low range. just as you think its outa power it seems to pull some more grunt outa nowhere.

Check out a coot or better yet the newer coot2! I have a coot and it does everything I ask plus some! And it even floatsimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back