Help me choose an atv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?ok?? so what is a = "The SCUT is the perfect option"..... been reading this thread now for a few days and have no clue!

A SCUT is a Sub-Compact Utility Tractor. And was coined when Mfg like Deere and Kubota started making smaller tractors than their CUT's (Compact Utility Tractors). So the Deere 65x and 75x are examples of SCUT typically with a 25-30 hp diesel engine. Often with 4wd. Property owners have been buying them for maintaining larger properties. They mow, plow, come with 3ph, can be fitted with an FEL (front end loader), for that matter can also be fitted with a back-hoe. They are not cheap. They have plenty of passionate owners. I considered buying a nice used one till I discovered how much owners want for clean ones. Couldn't touch a new one. With the 3ph and 4wd they make a great small operation woods tractor.

A SCUT is a Sub-Compact Utility Tractor. And was coined when Mfg like Deere and Kubota started making smaller tractors than their CUT's (Compact Utility Tractors). So the Deere 65x and 75x are examples of SCUT typically with a 25-30 hp diesel engine. Often with 4wd. Property owners have been buying them for maintaining larger properties. They mow, plow, come with 3ph, can be fitted with an FEL (front end loader), for that matter can also be fitted with a back-hoe. They are not cheap. They have plenty of passionate owners. I considered buying a nice used one till I discovered how much owners want for clean ones. Couldn't touch a new one. With the 3ph and 4wd they make a great small operation woods tractor.
thanks for the reply! did a search and found some info on them... not for me either!! I will stay with the 1961 d-14 allis .. it does and has always done what ive needed to get done or not!lol

Didn't you read one of the earlier posts. The 1 guy only had $4000 in his.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. Fwiw I have been hauling for the last several years with a 2wd. it does ok until the snow flys. So anthything with 4wd and some more grunt will be a God send.
View attachment 332771
If you like what you got, but want 4wd then go with a Traxter. Not the most maneuverable ATV, but dependable and heavy. 5 speed manual with Hi/Lo range. Ron

thanks for the reply! did a search and found some info on them... not for me either!! I will stay with the 1961 d-14 allis .. it does and has always done what ive needed to get done or not!lol

I think it is because they are so small, you can snake them around the woods and yard easier.

Basically, the idea behind the original garden tractors, the little case/simplicity/wheel horse, etc tractors, not these lawnmowers they sell today shaped like a little tractor. I know there's a huge difference in power and ruggedness between an old rally riding mower I have, and my wheel horse. The rally can mow and tote a small trailer, the wheel horse can mow..and..must be two dozen different attachments for it ..which I don't have, but I do have the tiller, main reason I bought it. I firewooded with it a lot though before we moved here, drug logs out with it, boulders for landscaping, towed my heavy van down the street once, 6000 lbs plus..

What's best?

This:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4273577581.html

00I0I_gqmZooQZpiA_600x450.jpg
Ha, I was just thinking about the old Gama Goats just the other day. These things were just being phased out of the Army's lineup when I enlisted but did get a few chances to drive them.

6x6, Detroit Diesel 3 cylinder, 2-stroke and loud as hell. They are made to swim as well but I've never personally experienced that mode of operation.

I wold love to find a Gamma Goat!!
Everyone do me a favor and do not tell my ATV that it can only pull 500lbs! Otherwise I'll have to quit pulling a 4x6 trailer stacked full of firewood with it. My 06 is on it's original belt and I have hauled 10 full cords a year with it out of the woods a face cord at a time. I'm guessing that 500lb towing capacity is more about stopping than pulling.

I wold love to find a Gamma Goat!!
Everyone do me a favor and do not tell my ATV that it can only pull 500lbs! Otherwise I'll have to quit pulling a 4x6 trailer stacked full of firewood with it. My 06 is on it's original belt and I have hauled 10 full cords a year with it out of the woods a face cord at a time. I'm guessing that 500lb towing capacity is more about stopping than pulling.

I have decided on either a foreman or a grizzly with a solid rear axle. Just looking for the right onem

Never had a grizzly, Did have a big bear for quite a few years. They are very good machines. Sometimes the ifs rear concerns me but I have never had a prob. with any of them. Good luck

I have a friend with a Grizzly and it's an excellent machine. For the fun having purposes I really like the ride that independant rear suspension provides. Maybe that is my age showing that the comfort of the ride is important to me.

I have a friend with a Grizzly and it's an excellent machine. For the fun having purposes I really like the ride that independant rear suspension provides. Maybe that is my age showing that the comfort of the ride is important to me.
I know it's more parts to possibly break but the independent rear suspension is well worth it for the backs comfort. I knew I had to have it when my buddies would just accelerate right thru a chisel plowed field when I was just trying to hang on on my old 2000 Yamaha big bear 400. That old machine treated me well and I wouldn't shy from recommending one for mainly work. But the 04 can am outlander 400 I have now is lights years better in every way. It has been dependable too. I like that its heavier now that I'm older and don't try to jump and climb everything I see anymore. The weight helps on the work side.

If you go with a Honda the chances are that the exhaust systems made here in ohio by the company I work for. And if Honda's as picky as they are with the rest of the atv as the exhaust then you'll be happy with it. I'd buy one just because I know how high of standard they require their parts to be.

Back