Help me choose an atv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Suzuki Eiger, its a 400 4x4 with manual trans with hi and low gear ranges, I have pulled some decent stuff with it, traction is the issue with the stock tires. I have chains on the front right now and was able to plow 12 inches of light fluffy snow no problem.

I wanted to get one that was bigger / more powerful, but that low range really makes a big difference.

I have a 2-up Bombardier. Narrow enough to be legal on any trails, legal to ride 2 people. I'm VERY happy with it. IIRC it's the Traxter Max. 500cc Rotax. Not the fastest thing out there, about 50 mph max with 2 people. More of a trail/work ATV than a play ATV, but that's what I needed it for. To make it perfect, here's what I'd like to see on it.
1) Switchable 2/4 wheel drive. Right now its full time 4x4. Have yet to get it stuck.
2) Power steering
3) Fuel injection vs. carb. It's VERY cold blooded in the morning, or anytime it's cold out.
4) Add switchable white rear facing lights.
5) Windshield for long rides in cold weather. I bought an aftermarket one and take it off during warmer weather.

That's all that I would change. Plenty of power, will plow good, high/low range, manual or auto shift trans.

A friend of mine has a yamaha rhino and he did say yamaha has the best belt system. However, he tells me the other day his clucth is absolutely whoooped. Its headed to a shop to have a new clutch and clutch kit installed. As far as atvs go I don't know why they ever got away from manual transmissions. Probably because everyone has became a buncha darn sissies

You can "whoop" the clutch in anything, even a tractor.... What i keep hearing about late model Honda's is electrical problems... I quit buying Honda ATV's when they took the low range out of them and once i tried (and now have owned) Yamaha's belt drive, i'm NOT going back to a manual tranny.

Don't even get me started on Polaris reliability OR should i say, LACK of reliability!!

I think the OP just wants a toy to play with, no one in their right mind would spend the "price of a tractor" to get a "toy" to do the "work of a tractor!" lol

SR

I got my atv first because I wanted the ability to do work, but mainly play. I don't regret buying it, but I wish I would've spent less and then gotten a cheap tractor too.

Lack of weight is the biggest problem with atv's. I have 49hp, but I can't put it to the ground because I don't have enough weight or contact patch.

I have a rear winch as well, and it's a must have! I usually use it to anchor the machine to a tree so I can use my front winch to pull leaners over to where I want them to fall, or pull snags down. If I had 3,000# more weight, it wouldn't be needed. I could just hook chain to them and drive.

Atv's are great for getting into tight places. I had a 24" basswood pinch my bar before I knew I was going to need to wedge it, and the machine barely fit in the spot needed to pull the tree up off the saw. There's nothing bigger than a garden tractor which would've made it in there (no trails and several 8" trees to avoid). I was cutting the tree for habitat, not wood, so getting it out wasn't part of the plan.

I can't fault anyone for getting a wheeler, but a tractor is going to do more work for the same investment.

You can "whoop" the clutch in anything, even a tractor.... What i keep hearing about late model Honda's is electrical problems... I quit buying Honda ATV's when they took the low range out of them and once i tried (and now have owned) Yamaha's belt drive, i'm NOT going back to a manual tranny.

Don't even get me started on Polaris reliability OR should i say, LACK of reliability!!

I think the OP just wants a toy to play with, no one in their right mind would spend the "price of a tractor" to get a "toy" to do the "work of a tractor!" lol

SR
Well so far my Honda "toy" has skidded logs outa the woods,pulled a trailer I'm guessing weighed 2000 lbs total loaded with firewood,and hauled dog boxes while running squirrel and coonhounds.With out low range I might add.It will also be used several times trail riding in WV and KY. The only thing I see missing is a front end loader and hydraulics. Did I mention it was built and designed in South Carolina. My guess would be you won't get much of a tractor for $10,000.Keep in mind my opinion of a descent tractor and what someone elses opinion is could vary greatly.I'm the third generation to farm with tractors from the 50's thru the 90's. Dad has a japanese sub compact utility tractor and it is a handy s.o.b..I'm guessing it cost at least $10,000.He never said.BTW dad has a polaris quad its been used and holds up well. It requires maintenance like every other machine.

Well so far my Honda "toy" has skidded logs outa the woods,pulled a trailer I'm guessing weighed 2000 lbs total loaded with firewood,and hauled dog boxes while running squirrel and coonhounds.With out low range I might add.It will also be used several times trail riding in WV and KY. The only thing I see missing is a front end loader and hydraulics. Did I mention it was built and designed in South Carolina. My guess would be you won't get much of a tractor for $10,000.Keep in mind my opinion of a descent tractor and what someone elses opinion is could vary greatly.I'm the third generation to farm with tractors from the 50's thru the 90's. Dad has a japanese sub compact utility tractor and it is a handy s.o.b..I'm guessing it cost at least $10,000.He never said.BTW dad has a polaris quad its been used and holds up well. It requires maintenance like every other machine.

Well, do you think "your" Honda or anyone elses ATV will out pull this??

standard.jpg

It has 52 PTO hp diesel FARM tractor, MFWD, 3 point hitch, live hydraulics WITH remotes, hydrostatic power steering, 16 speed tranny, locking diff's, ect... It's a modern "narrow" tractor that will narrow to 48", but i have it at 60" right now. It will EASILY pull ALL of these (and more) at one time, even in the snow.

standard.jpg

It starts and runs just fine, and it's $4,000.00, it's an SLH and they are GREAT tractors, i have three of them.

I've been around tractors all of my life and i bought my first ATV in the late 60's... SO, i do know what they will, and will not do....

SR

Well so far my Honda "toy" has skidded logs outa the woods,pulled a trailer I'm guessing weighed 2000 lbs total loaded with firewood,

*SNIP*

The only thing I see missing is a front end loader and hydraulics.

One of the most amusing posts I've read on this site. Thanks for the laughs!

My old Suzuki King Quad only has 300 CC's, but that thing has been a tank for sure. 2wh/4wh drive, with high/low range and super low locked differential. Its dragged logs, pulled trailers with hay or wood and plows snow for me. It's been a real tough little 4 wheeler. There are bigger machines with more power, but for handling in tight spots with a good turning radius and power in a little package those old King Quads would be hard to beat.

You can "whoop" the clutch in anything, even a tractor.... What i keep hearing about late model Honda's is electrical problems... I quit buying Honda ATV's when they took the low range out of them and once i tried (and now have owned) Yamaha's belt drive, i'm NOT goingt wants a toy to play with, no one in their right mind would spend the "price of a tractor" to get a "toy" to do the "work of a tractor!" lol

SR
The op knows what you think is wrong. Im looking for a tool not a toy.

Regardless, Im looking.

Owning a tractor and winch I still feel a ATF has it's place in the woods for a firewood guy looking to get his own wod out. I recently sold a yamaha grizzly, cannot say enough good things about yamaha quality. I sold it to purchase a side x side for more comfort and ended up with a polaris rzr, I love my razor but the quality, fit and finish is not even close to yamaha, however yamaha does not make anything that will compare to a rzr for pleasure riding.

Sawyer rob get a which for that orange, you will be amazed in you productivity increase, sorry but that pile wood is pathetic, my nieces could pull that out wih her pedal tractor.

Well, do you think "your" Honda or anyone elses ATV will out pull this??

It has 52 PTO hp diesel FARM tractor, MFWD, 3 point hitch, live hydraulics WITH remotes, hydrostatic power steering, 16 speed tranny, locking diff's, ect... It's a modern "narrow" tractor that will narrow to 48", but i have it at 60" right now. It will EASILY pull ALL of these (and more) at one time, even in the snow.

It starts and runs just fine, and it's $4,000.00, it's an SLH and they are GREAT tractors, i have three of them.

SR
You're right I can't out pull it. I'd guess $4000 for that machine is a heck of a buy. I guess the point I was trying to make is so far I have not used my "toy" for much play. I dragged logs with it most of today. I also have a yamaha 350 4x4 wolverine thats been a heck of a machine.I bought it new in 03" or 04". Its mostly a toy tho for me. Its a 5 spd standard trans. It does not have a low range and doesnt tow anything real well. Also it doesnt having a locking fron diff. so for the OP the old yamaha wolverine is prob not for you.

Sawyer rob get a which for that orange, you will be amazed in you productivity increase, sorry but that pile wood is pathetic, my nieces could pull that out wih her pedal tractor.

You mean one of these??

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I keep it on a "different" MFWD tractor...

I was only showing the tractor in the last picts., but i'd like to see a 4 wheeler pull all those red pine out of the woods at one time... They were FREE, and made some nice 2x lumber,

standard.jpg

Now, do those red pine, still look pathetic to you???

BTW, i got a lot more of them than were in the above picts...

SR

Now that's a nice setup you got there, you are right they look much better sawn out.

Dodge still as manual tranny trucks in the heavy duty don't they?
I was told by a ford guy that they stopped making manual trans in their pickups in 06 or so, but then i realized that I had a friend who bought a 2013 ram with a manual trans. so guess i'm wrong on that, must be another reason why I like dodge. I tell you what, im driving a chevy half ton single cab 8 foot box right now, and while yes it drives like a dream (when there's a little bit of weigh in the bed), I call it the FPCP model. Because it's only qualified for hauling flowers, potato chips, and pillows. That thing is so light duty. It can barely handle a load of wet wood that's not even about the bed rails. I had a similar year dodge 1500, and that thing was heavy duty as all hell. The tailgate on that thing weighed more than my chevy does. My next truck once this one is driven into the ground I'm going to look for another dodge first gen diesel. Favorite truck there is.

Something else for the OP to take into consideration is that with most machines, especially those with low range, you will run out of traction before you run out of power. I'd expect chains would help but then they create limitations at higher speeds.

I've thought about converting to a side-by-side but my ATVs also get used for riding trails (and the river in the winter). I'm hard pressed to believe that I'd get the same level of exhilaration from a Ranger or other utility machine as I get from an ATV in this setting.
While yes, that is true with less aggressive tires, if you slap on some wicked aggressive grips, and you know how to tickle the throttle, and where to put your weight, the low range will work wonders, and you will be able to put the power on the ground. It also depends what kinda terrain you're on.

Make sure you add a 1500 lbs of calcium carbonate or beet juice in the rear tires or tire weights. I think I have 950 in each wheel on my 55hp tractor and when lifting decent size logs I really don't want to drive far or fast as it's sort of light on the rear
or get one with a 3pt hitch and rig up a weight.

or get one with a 3pt hitch and rig up a weight.
Then you can't mount a winch or pull an arch. Weight boxes on 3 points a very constrictive. Also it puts a lot of stress and strain thru the hitch, housing, and rear axels. Wheel weights/fluid puts none of this stress on any thing. I have seen tractors broke in half carrying large amounts of weights on both the front loader and 3 point hitch and drive into a small divot.

I really like my Arctic Cat 650 TRV. Use it to plow with, haul a 4x6 trailer around the woods, and of course play. I really like the fact that it's convertible of sorts can swap out a box for an extra seat or rack. I use the box to carry couple saws, oil, fuel etc when I head to the woods. Has a reese hitch reciever that is conveniant for moving trailers around etc... I did have to beef this up significantly due bending it b/c of yanking trailer around loaded with wood. No issue with belt but do all the work in low range. Running strong since 06.
Doesn't take the place of a tractor but I'd be hard pressed to get rid of it if I had to choose btw it and my tractor.

Latest posts

Back