Help me decide - new 346XP or PS5100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How bout you make a video, being the top notch Stihl wrench that you are, changing out the rim/sprocket on a Stihl outboard clutch saw. I am sure it will take you an eternity, as you and others like to claim it does on the Huskys. I'll be waiting. Done yet? :monkey:

Scott

Awwwwwwww Speedy listen at you, you stuck that foot in ya mouth and now you wanna turn the tables, sorry buddy, wasn't me that made that stupid claim, it was you.

Now I'll be glad to remove a outboard on a Stihl as soon as you put up that vid I've yet to see, whats the hold up man, should take over a 1:55,LOL

So what does Stihl pay you on a warranty claim to replace the clutch on an outboard clutch saw? It's obviously a very labor intensive operation, 2 hours, 3 hours maybe. As I said before, I don't need to replace my rim as I swapped .325 for 3/8 a short while ago so no video in the near future. Sorry to disappoint.

Edit: Here's some English chap performing the very operation you are whining about, 2:09 on the video. Hope that helps you understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdqkIuVNUQc

Scott

Last edited:
Mine came from the dealer with 3/8, don't what you're talking about, let me rephrase that, you don't know what you're talking about...:monkey:

Scott

So what does Stihl pay you on a warranty claim to replace the clutch on an outboard clutch saw? It's obviously a very labor intensive operation, 2 hours, 3 hours maybe. As I said before, I don't need to replace my rim as I swapped .325 for 3/8 a short while ago so no video in the near future. Sorry to disappoint.

Scott

Scotty, I'm not sure you know what story to tell anymore, first you say it came with a 3/8" from the factory and now I see you tell Tom that you swapped it, no big deal just try and keep your stories consistent:cheers:

Scotty, I'm not sure you know what story to tell anymore, first you say it came with a 3/8" from the factory and now I see you tell Tom that you swapped it, no big deal just try and keep your stories consistent:cheers:

I never said my 346XP came from the "factory" with with a 3/8, I said my dealer installed one no charge. I have swapped it to .325 to test it out after listening to Snelling rant about how fast it was but in the end I have alot of 3/8 .50 chain and 3 Windsor Mini-Pro 3/8 bars so that's what I am running now for good. Nice try though.

I bought my 346XP NE powerhead only with 3/8 sprocket installed, but my dealer rocks and would do pretty much anything I ask within reason. I wanted a better bar and chain than he had on hand so I went with a Windsor Mini-Pro 16" soid steel bar and Oregon LGX chain. My muffler modded 346XP NE pulls it just fine, no bogs and stays sharp longer than .325. Pixel bars and chain are junk in my opinion.

Couldn't resist, especially after my dealer offered to switch out the .325 rim to 3/8 no charge. Non cat model. Bought powerhead only for $420+tax. I just got done ordering a 16" Windsor Speed Tip Mini Pro bar and some full chisel chain for it, should have her together and killing trees early next week. Rounds out my ultimate firewood combo/two saw plan of Husqvarna 346XP NE/372XP. I'm stoked! Now I have to start saving for an Iron & Oak 30 ton horizontal splitter.

Scott

Last edited:
I never said my 346XP came from the "factory" with with a 3/8, I said my dealer installed one no charge. I have swapped it to .325 to test it out after listening to Snelling rant about how fast it was but in the end I have alot of 3/8 .50 chain and 3 Windsor Mini-Pro 3/8 bars so that's what I am running now for good. Nice try though.

Scott

Sorry Scotty you got me on that one, Factory, dealer there is a differnce glad you pointed that out, But where did you say "my dealer installed one no charge" I must have missed that could you point that out for me. Thanks:cheers:

Opps I see you edited your post again on me, I see it now but that wasn't even mentioned on this thread and from another not that it's a big deal. :cheers:

Last edited:
Sorry Scotty you got me on that one, Factory, dealer there is a differnce glad you pointed that out, But where did you say "my dealer installed one no charge" I must have missed that could you point that out for me. Thanks:cheers:

Opps I see you edited your post again on me, I see it now but that wasn't even mentioned on this thread and from another not that it's a big deal. :cheers:

Apology accepted.

Its nice to see everyone in the holiday spirit! LoL Reminds me of people in the shopping malls parking lots. lol:cheers:

:givebeer:

Scott

Last edited:
I have swapped it to .325 to test it out after listening to Snelling rant about how fast it was but in the end I have alot of 3/8 .50 chain and 3 Windsor Mini-Pro 3/8 bars so that's what I am running now for good. Nice try though.

Scott

What did you thing about the .325? I understand keeping it 3/8 for your reasons.

It was harder to sharpen with my poor eyes and poorer angles. Dulls alot faster too! :) I'm sure it is indeed faster, if that is what you are getting at. Remember I am a firewood guy, not a cookie cuttin', video sharing AS allstar so roundground 3/8 is there to stay from now on.

Scott

I have heard the opposite, that for some they have never been able to get .325 to go as good as a 3/8". I personally haven't tried it and never will, becasue like Scotty all of my saw are 3/8" except the dinosaurs I have.

I think Brad put this debate to bed a long time ago, square ground .325 pretty much owns my beloved 3/8 roundground on a 346XP.

Scott

and poor sharpening skills too, I'm sure. :dizzy: :laugh:

Actually I am getting pretty darn good, my brother taught me and he runs a saw for a living, Eagle Timber Management in southern Indiana. Keep it out of the dirt and touch it up often.

Scott

Now where did little Tommy Hall go? Don't tell me he ran away and hid? Maybe he is off trying to remove an outboard clutch on a Stihl, It takes quite a while you know...:monkey:

Scott

Edit: Here's some English chap performing the very operation you are whining about, 2:09 on the video. Hope that helps you understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdqkIuVNUQc

Scott

I'm not whinning at all Speedy, I'm having a good laff with you. Yeah there is no video and we know why, takes alittle longer than you thought huh,hehe

Changing a clutch on a Stihl takes 30 minutes or less , where are you getting 2-3 hours, man you need to back away from these claims you make, that is another whopper.

That little vid you posted there is missing something isn't it, like a few frames and a saw not put back to together, thanks for proving me right and you dead wrong, good job man!!!

Now where did little Tommy Hall go? Don't tell me he ran away and hid? Maybe he is off trying to remove an outboard clutch on a Stihl, It takes quite a while you know...:monkey:

Scott

Maybe if you look up you'll see I just buried one in you,LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Back