Help me decide Stihl MS 362 or Makita 6421 or 7301

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have decided on a 20" bar.

Prices.

Local dealer Stihl MS 362 $695

Home Depot Makita 6421 $649

Home Depot Makita 7301 $ 699

Local Husky dealer wants $900 for Husky 562 XP:dizzy: so I removed it from my list.

ALL come with 20" bar.

Which one to get.

This saw will be for cutting 10 cords of firewood/year. Mostly Jackpine(Lodgepole) and Yellow Birch and some Tamarack and Spruce.

I am leaning towards the 362....just because I have a local dealer.

I was on my way to a big box store about 6 months ago. I decided to stop at a stihl dealer along the way. I bought an ms261 with a 20inch bar for 550 plus acessories. It works great in red oak for me .
What amazed me was the time spent by the dealer on the transaction. He explained the differances with the saws he had. He fetched the accessories for me. He took me outside,fueled it,showed me the dos and donts,then went back into the shop,filled out the warranty registration for me,put all the paperwork into a nice folder........THEN he walked me out to the car and put it into the trunk for me...all at a price slightly better than the big box store's 50 cc model (i forget which one).....and this one had a made in usa label on it.
Try to get that kind of service at a big box store

After checking prices from CAD to U.S I have come to the conclusion we are getting ripped off in Canada(especially from Husky!!!)

The best deal when comparing all prices from CAD to U.S was Echo CS-590 for $499(from a dealer) or Makita 6421 from Home Depot(same price as Baileys $649).

Same Echo dealer also has a CS-670(NEW but still on the shelf) but he wants $579 for it.

If my Stihl dealer doesn't have 20" bar in today I am leaning towards the Echo.

He only stocks 16 inch bars???

After reading about CS-590 I think it will suit my needs...IF it doesn't I will keep it as a quad/hunting/camp saw....and if anyone swipes it I won't be a big loss as $700 Stihl.

Last edited:
After checking prices from CAD to U.S I have come to the conclusion we are getting ripped off in Canada(especially from Husky!!!)

The best deal when comparing all prices from CAD to U.S was Echo CS-590 for $499(from a dealer) or Makita 6421 from Home Depot(same price as Baileys $649).

Same Echo dealer also has a CS-670(NEW but still on the shelf) but he wants $579 for it.

If my Stihl dealer doesn't have 20" bar in today I am leaning towards the Echo.

He only stocks 16 inch bars???

After reading about CS-590 I think it will suit my needs...IF it doesn't I will keep it as a quad/hunting/camp saw....and if anyone swipes it I won't be a big loss as $700 Stihl.

Not a real option to the ones originally listed - heavier than all, and less power than all....

your opening choices were good ones. Now; not so much.

You're overworking the problem. $50.00 (or even $100.00) should not change your mind between a Stihl/Dolmar and an Echo in that size.

And yes, we do pay excessively in Canada for many things. This has become most transparent since the Canadian and US dollars have equal value.

That's why at this point I will never buy a new Husky. I have about as much wrapped up in new 40 and 60cc saws as I would have in one 60cc Husky. And I prefer my Stihl or Dolmar anyway. When I want to run a screamer, I use my Jonsered......

Anyway, good luck with whatever you buy.

Well....The Stihl dealer did Not get my 20 inch bar for the MS362.:msp_mad:

SO....I decided to get the CS-590, I phoned the dealer and bought it over the phone, gave him my credit card info and told him someone would pick it up. I had to go pick up my snow machine which was in for warranty work. I got a text from the person picking up the saw that dealer lost my Visa info.....this was about 2 hours after I ordered it....:msp_mad::msp_thumbdn:

I got to thinking that there was a Husky dealer in same town where I was going to pick up my sled...(about 1 hour away from home)..so I picked up the sled and stopped off at Husky dealer. Low and behold he had a NICE selection of saws including a 562XP.

He quoted me a list price of 899 on the 562 ...and then said how does 750 sound....well he barely finished the sentence when I said sold!

The saw came with 20 " bar, guard, case, hat, 6 pack of XP oil, 1 jug of chain oil. ALL included in the $750:msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup:

He gave me a set of Husky Summer pants at cost to top off the deal.

O.T.D with everything for less than the $900 the dealer(5 mins from my door) quoted to me??? I guess he has seen the last of my business, especially considering I bought a quad and Jonsered saw and many other things over the past 5 years.....I will drive the hour.

Cannot wait to try out.:yoyo:

Dealer said saw was all set up and ready to go I asked him if the gas was 40:1 for first couple of tanks and he said no 50:1.....is that kosher???

So you tossed an extra 250?:help:

Not really.

The MS 362 was $695. Dealer

The Makita 7301 was $699. Home depot. No dealer nearby.

The Makita 6421 was $ 649. H.D

The Echo CS-590 was $499 and dealer was a dips**t!!!

So for an extra $50 over the Still MS 362 I got top of the line Husky.

I am pretty sure that the 562 XP is worth $250 over the Echo 590???

Not really.

The MS 362 was $695. Dealer

The Makita 7301 was $699. Home depot. No dealer nearby.

The Makita 6421 was $ 649. H.D

The Echo CS-590 was $499 and dealer was a dips**t!!!

So for an extra $50 over the Still MS 362 I got top of the line Husky.

I am pretty sure that the 562 XP is worth $250 over the Echo 590???

but not a penny more than the 362. You made a good deal on the Husky, but you did not get a better saw than the Stihl. Different, not better. JFTR

Have fun!

but not a penny more than the 362. You made a good deal on the Husky, but you did not get a better saw than the Stihl. Different, not better. JFTR

Have fun!

My first choice was the Stihl MS 362....but dealer was dragging his feet....ANY dealer worth his sand would have told me to take the saw with the 16 inch bar and worked out some deal on the 20"??? He made ZERO effort to make the sale??? Too bad for him...:laugh:

My first choice was the Stihl MS 362....but dealer was dragging his feet....ANY dealer worth his sand would have told me to take the saw with the 16 inch bar and worked out some deal on the 20"??? He made ZERO effort to make the sale??? Too bad for him...:laugh:

You did good.

Ya gotta hate people who sell stuff, yet don't seem to care if they sell any stuff. I ran across a Kubota salesman like that lately, so I bought another brand. Simple.

The 562 is the best choice out of them all. You will love it. Did he tell you about the four year warranty if you buy three cans of premix gas?

Nope, didn't know about that....is it available in Canada?

Not too worried....I will probably cut 10 cords of Firewood or maybe 20 before 1 year Warranty is up....IF anything major craps out it will likely be fore 1 year is up...

Mixed up some fresh gas...it is so nice that XP oil is now coming in 100ml single containers.....takes all the guess work out of it.

I always burn Premium NON-Ethanol gas in all my quads, boats, snowmobiles, chainsaws, Ice-augers, snow blower, generator, and lawn mowers.

Going wood hauling tommorow....I am even going to look for some oversized trees....just to have some fun...might haul all day long just to get a good workout!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Just got back from cutting 2 cords. Weather was perfect and no bugs.

Saw was awesome, didn't even have to sharpen chain once. :clap:

It is truly amazing how much easier and quicker it was to cut wood with a pro saw with some grunt to it.:msp_w00t:

Back