Help me ID this wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is a new one to me, I have been getting a 10 cord truck load delivered of 8 footers for about the last 4 years but never saw this wood before. I usually get Red Oak, White Oak, Ash, Birch, soft Maple, hard Maple. But I don't know about this wood. It has been sitting for maybe 2 years in log length 8 foot, the bark comes off clean as a whistle and in one piece flexable, the skin of the wood was moist and shinny, it split very hard and is very stringy, and had a very pungent odor almost like a sort of Cedar smell. here are some pictures if they work out from photo bucket.

Thank god I had a hydraulic splitter, that was some tough stringy stuff, I was wondering if it was possibly Elm.

I'm still stickin with sweetgum, I;m going to go see if i have any left to take a pic of. I've cut aand split a ton of that stuff and it looks just like his pics. You also gotta remember it is two years old. the log and bark has been mashed down some to make the bark look different I will be back. hopefully with some pics,

Do you have cedar elm up that way? We have it down here everywhere. That may explain the smell. I haven't had that much experience with sweetgum. What little I had was in board form and it was usually very calico in color. The bark in the pics looks like cedar elm. If you had a leaf it would tell us right away. Cedar Elm has a small live oak type leaf except it has serrated edges. Sweet gum is a big maple looking leaf.

Last edited:
My vote is for elm. Here are a couple pics I took trying to split a small elm round. You can tell it isn't that big of a piece. This demonstrates how tough elm can be. This little round never did split.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is some sweetgum, This stuff is two tears old. has been stored in the dry. It was split with a 35 ton splitter. The elm we have here is much whiter than you samples you posted.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This bunch here is over two years old. The greener it is when you split it the more stringier it will be. I try to season it some to keep it down some.

attachment.php

Elm, keep whacking ! Oh you have a splitter. Lucky you !

The ONE thing I like about Elm, when it is dried and seasoned the bark just falls off. The wood will shrink so much that , in a round, the bark will slide off like a sleeve. I split one side of the tube to lay out flat on any muddy spot so I'm not tracking quite as much back in the house.

Last edited:
Another vote for elm. Seems like it takes longer to season than many other species but its worth the wait, makes good heat. You couldn't pay me to take that stuff if I didn't have a splitter (but I gots one). My only complaint with elm is that is a pita to stack nicely since its sooo stringy.

As we call it here in Leesburg....Ell-um. Sure will burn hot. Keep the window locks open just in case if you burn it spring or fall....

Elm, keep whacking ! Oh you have a splitter. Lucky you !

The ONE thing I like about Elm, when it is dried and seasoned the bark just falls off. The wood will shrink so much that , in a round, the bark will slide off like a sleeve. I split one side of the tube to lay out flat on any muddy spot so I'm not tracking quite as much back in the house.

That is exactly what it did, the bark comes off in one piece or with one split, you could lay the bark down like a door mat. Those first 5 pictures are just of the bark tubes no wood in them.

Last edited:
Do you have cedar elm up that way? We have it down here everywhere. That may explain the smell. I haven't had that much experience with sweetgum. What little I had was in board form and it was usually very calico in color. The bark in the pics looks like cedar elm. If you had a leaf it would tell us right away. Cedar Elm has a small live oak type leaf except it has serrated edges. Sweet gum is a big maple looking leaf.

I don't have any leaves but it does have a distinct some what cedar type odor. We had a lot of Elm when I lived down in Illinois that Elm had a kind of piss smell to it.

Latest posts

Back