Help Me Mr. Wizards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my Game of Logging info today. It doesn't say much. It says these scary words "come prepared to be actively falling timber all day."
But, they don't start at daylight, they start at 9AM.

My list of preparations?
Ibuprofen
Coffee
More Coffee
Whiskey for afterwards with more ibuprofen.

I only know how much it hurt when I was 20 something...for the first week.

Any other advice will be welcome.

"Short"? That thing's a Monster. Might want to pick up a 16" B/C if you're gonna roll with that crowd. Also consider Husqvarna-branded clothing and accessories. Now't I think about it, a 440 is really too big a saw for anything smaller than OG walnut; you owe it to yourself to pick up a 346 to match the rest of the Husky kit. You want the full "head condom" style helmet with the big, bright flap on the back. Oh, and you'll want to get really worked up when you "safely" fell your first 4" alder using a bewildering series of bore cuts that take a half an hour and use a half a case of wedges.

(truth is, I actually intend to take a GOL course at my earliest convenience, as I'm curious if there's useful tricks to be learned, and I can always use another bullet on my resume)

"Short"? That thing's a Monster. Might want to pick up a 16" B/C if you're gonna roll with that crowd. Also consider Husqvarna-branded clothing and accessories. Now't I think about it, a 440 is really too big a saw for anything smaller than OG walnut; you owe it to yourself to pick up a 346 to match the rest of the Husky kit. You want the full "head condom" style helmet with the big, bright flap on the back. Oh, and you'll want to get really worked up when you "safely" fell your first 4" alder using a bewildering series of bore cuts that take a half an hour and use a half a case of wedges.

(truth is, I actually intend to take a GOL course at my earliest convenience, as I'm curious if there's useful tricks to be learned, and I can always use another bullet on my resume)

What he said, and 20 wedges and lots of orange clothing, the more the better. Like that bright orange forester's vest that's probably tucked away somewhere:pumpkin2: - Sam

What he said, and 20 wedges and lots of orange clothing, the more the better. Like that bright orange forester's vest that's probably tucked away somewhere:pumpkin2: - Sam

It is smeared with green paint but would have lots of pockets to keep coffee and ibuprofin handy. It smells a bit too. I am a firm believer in never washing a cruising vest in the hopes that someday even the flies and mosquitoes would find it repulsive. :msp_wink:

I'll take the blue wedge. It will really help.

It is smeared with green paint but would have lots of pockets to keep coffee and ibuprofin handy. It smells a bit too. I am a firm believer in never washing a cruising vest in the hopes that someday even the flies and mosquitoes would find it repulsive. :msp_wink:

I'll take the blue wedge. It will really help.

I've still got mine from college days, it's now the bird hunting vest......mosquitioes don't come near me......kind of a mix of old bird and wet dog smell.

Better go with an orange wedge......safety first!

Here's the list. They aren't even supplying cookies or donuts! I'll take some peanut M&Ms. Those got me through several hours of engineer testing.

Start Time:

Each day of the workshop is scheduled from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes early on the first day in order to unload your gear, get signed in and be ready to go by 9:00.

Food & Beverages:

You will be responsible for your own lunch, snacks and beverages. Please plan to bring plenty of water and fuel to get you through the day. You will be actively cutting timber both days, so please plan to bring enough nourishment to keep you going and in a good mood!

What to bring:

These items are required: chainsaw, file, oil & gas, safety equipment (helmet, chaps, ear & eye protection, gloves)

Additional items: food, water, camera, pen & paper, weather appropriate clothing, sturdy boots

No coffee or doughnuts....that's ####in' bull####! Don't go! At least they reminded you to bring a file.......the gas and oil will probably help too.........

Got my Game of Logging info today. It doesn't say much. It says these scary words "come prepared to be actively falling timber all day."

A GOL brochure actually said the word falling and not felling?! Holy toledo, the world is ending, hell has frozen over and pigs have flown!

may i suggest a brandi-new barbie pen to sign in.

a battery powered chainsaw would be a novelty

i gots a whole roll of nickels for the parking meter on this thread. :laugh:

No coffee or doughnuts....that's ####in' bull####! Don't go! At least they reminded you to bring a file.......the gas and oil will probably help too.........

Cheap ass mother####ers, they prolly charge for parking too, and I bet that it's a "tobacco free campus"

also, having to wear ear protection is horse####, that should be a personal choice

I'm toying with the idea of wearing my blue plastic hardhat to accessorize with the blue wedge. However, my Mac T has a bit of ancient orange on it that would bring out the fall tones of the orange wedges--and is more comfy.

Ooops, my bad. The write up uses cutting, not falling. We shall be cutters...easier not to get confused that way.

Last edited:

What to bring:

These items are required: chainsaw, file, oil & gas, safety equipment (helmet, chaps, ear & eye protection, gloves)

Additional items: food, water, camera, pen & paper, weather appropriate clothing, sturdy boots

I'm not picking on anybody's personal choice of PPE but I thought GOL was all about safety , where does "sturdy boots" fit in chainsaws and safety ?

Back