Help Me Mr. Wizards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
You want to borrow my old Mac-T? The one you wore when you were down here, with all the dents and dings? It's got character.

I know you don't use snoose but try chewing black licorice like we did when we were kids...the spit looks the same.

Mumble a lot.

Practice your "logger stare". You know, the one that discourages further conversation.

Drop start your saw.

When you're not actually cutting stand the saw vertically with the bar tip on the ground and lean on the power head. Engine off, of course.

Use gypo jugs.

Wear the Kuliens.

I'll think of more later. Gotta go to the woods.

Oh...like Randy says...don't hit anybody. At least don't hit anybody important.

slowp
I definitely have the mumble part down well. The stare is what we call "The Stink Eye". I think I have that down well too. Shall I yell, "Need a tool biatch." when I need help with saw maintenance?

The Barbie Saw is not pink but has glittery Barbie Stickers of flowers and Barbies and BARBIE on it. The saw shop guys swarm around it laughing when I bring it in. I wanted to de-manliness it so nobody else would want to use it.

No thank you. I will use my own Mac T as it doesn't have those red reflectors on it. Those would ruin the ensemble.

Perhaps the crayons, pronounced crens, are flavored now?

Samlock

Samlock

Addicted to ArboristSite
- Lots of orange is good. The orange flap on the back of a helmet certainly looks goofy, but actually it is practical - keeps the debris, rain and snow out of the (red) neck. A piece of an orange plastic bag should do it.

- A pair of LARGE earmuffs. Preferably orange.

- A pocket size first aid kit (a good stash for the gummy bears to be worn with the earmuffs).

- Safety distance: At least 2 X the length of the tree. Don't go any closer!

- Chain brake - always keep it on. Throttle - oh yes - click - throttle. Drives people crazy.

lfnh

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Perhaps these might be helpful as a mental frame of reference. Kinda like a picture is worth a thousand words. Well then a movie has got to be better. Right ?

Precision Boring Techniques

[video=youtube;UZLBtFdmKKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZLBtFdmKKU[/video]

Dealing with Heavy Head Leaners

[video=youtube;Xx7J3JMlZlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx7J3JMlZlU&feature=related[/video]

On the otherhand, Flash Cards and some early ZZ Top might be more soothing after the 9-5 work out.

Just trying to be helpful...

2dogs

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Is that video really demonstrating how GOL deals with a heavy head leaner?! Can you imagine if that were a 3' D-fir or redwood and you had the cut an open face notch 4' tall and two feet deep? What a crock! Does the wind not blow in GOL-land? Do you have to stop and touch yourself after each cut or can you just put the friggin tree on the ground? Those people don't what a heavy head leaner really is.

I have a leaning 6 dbh' goose pen redwood that is over 200' tall to take down any time now. I wonder what GOLiphiles would do in that situation. Any time and every time I size up a tree I use the best technique I can think of. I would never become a GOL votary!

lfnh

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
...the "face" in the leaner was truely machete work. no wonder the clip board dude just walked away....he did look up though. just once.
the precision hinge one was just. something. else. and the exit from the stump was a perfect 90. look up. never. not even a quick glance. It should be put over in the wedges thread. I learned wedges are good for drawing lines on the stump. Never seen that one before.
Maybe it's related to throwing rocks... :laugh:

(mods can we get a Darwin smilie ?)

2dogs

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
...the "face" in the leaner was truely machete work. no wonder the clip board dude just walked away....he did look up though. just once.
the precision hinge one was just. something. else. and the exit from the stump was a perfect 90. look up. never. not even a quick glance. It should be put over in the wedges thread. I learned wedges are good for drawing lines on the stump. Never seen that one before.
Maybe it's related to throwing rocks... :laugh:

(mods can we get a Darwin smilie ?)

Or maybe a GOL smirk.

dave k

dave k

Addicted to ArboristSite
I assume you intend to stun them, the rest of the class, when you break out the Slopping back cut ?
Im feeling a bit sensitive now as I sit here at the visiting head of state residence in Dublin in my Husky protective trousers, orange Husky jacket and waiting to put on my orange Stihl helmet with back flap... just waiting for a passerby to call me a dweeb ! Still it's an easy day Im just here as rescue climber, HSE requirement, and will stand and watch my pal climb a Redwood to knock out a broken branch.

floyd

floyd

ArboristSite Operative
You're braver than me.

I thought we decided they didn't give you a hat?

They won't even feed you food. Course a hat don't come with it.

Sport Faller

Sport Faller

Gate Pimp
It looks like the Scandihoovian Candle making might have been good practice.

Will I be OK with my green chaps??

hmmmm, that's a pretty grey area Patti, if you bought some reflective tape and took a few wraps around your legs after you put the chaps on in would be prolly only be half smirked at, also a long strip of ref. tape and both sides of the Barbie saw's bar might be in order. If you really want get in the good graces of the powers that be you should get one of those deer-scare garden windchimes that have the long billowy reflective tails and hang it from the back of your tin hat :msp_biggrin: