Help me pick a chain.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What chain to buy for my MS 460 32"???

• Full Chisel

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Semi Chisel

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Full Chisel Skip

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Full chisel Semi Skip

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Other??

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Big dead falls means dirty wood in my mind, so I myself vote semi chisel no if ands or buts about it.

Skip would be fine but I couldnt get semi chisel skip in .063 gauge but not a big deal I find no chip clearence problems with full comp 32" in hard wood. In fact I think the full comp semi chisel seems about as fast as the skip chisel did and I know its faster at the end of the day with less sharpening.

This is my experiance with a SXL 925 and power is not a problem.

Semi-Chisel-Skip

You're not in "production" where "time is money", so make it easy on yourself and your saw.

Semi-Chisel-Skip will cut just fine, nice and smooth, plenty fast, easier to sharpen, stays sharper longer.

Just my .0002

Agreed. Although I have used all types of chain on my 32" bars on my 7900's/3120 I'd go semi chisel skip in harder wood.
Skip isn't needed for chip removal on a 32" bar in my opinion, just works the saw a bit less with less cutters to sharpen.

I voted full-chisel skip though I would probably get at least two chains, one full-chisel skip and the other semi-chisel skip. Use the semi-chisel if you have any doubts about how clean the wood is.

CAD also applies to chains & bars!

I just bought a loop of RMC to try out. If the freaking weather would cooperate with me! Rain and more freaking rain. Last firewood season, I almost made with one RS chain. Stihl chains are pretty tough! I tried woodland pro 30RC on bone dry elm. The elm ate up the 30RC pretty bad. I am waiting to see how it handles green pinon pine and juniper before ordering anymore of it. It is a bit harder then oregon LPX chain that came stock on my husky saws. :monkey:

:cheers:

Something is missing here????

picture.php

p.s. How you guys like my $21 bar??

I would go with the full chisel skip, thats what I used on the 32 incher that was on my 046 for a while (I put it on the 066).

Latest posts

Back