Help me whip my buddies saw!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another saw would help and I never compared the Mac Cat I had but I got it running and sharpened the chain and it cut good. I had a friend that was in bad need of a saw and his family had two hundred acres select cut so he had plenty of fire wood to cut. He said the saw would cut like H$#> and his buddy had a small Husky and the Mac cat out cut him. Well I imagine the buddy didn't know how to sharpen his chain correctly, so maybe your buddy doesn't know how. I personally would have at least a Stihl O28 or a Husky 55 cause all I have are old saws.

Wow! Thanks for all the help even though I said I didn't want to buy a new saw. My buddies are running the same P.O.S. machines that I am (small engines, green in color, but I don't know the type) and their's run much much better. In fact, I think I have the biggest cc motor in the group. They all run stock chains, etc.

Howz the fishing going?

You really want us to get serious?

1. Clean your air filter.
  2. Run fresh fuel.
  3. Have the carb tuned to factory specs.
  4. Have your chain sharpened by someone that knows what they're doing.

Brad, THANK YOU!

I will get started with 1, 2, and 3 and am waiting for a reply from McCulloch for a manual so that I can tune the carb to factory specs (but I am in Colorado and often cut wood at 10,000 feet - is there anything special I should do?)

Concerning Sharpening the chain, are there any tutorials on how to do this correctly? I would like to learn. Thanks again!

Brad, THANK YOU!

I will get started with 1, 2, and 3 and am waiting for a reply from McCulloch for a manual so that I can tune the carb to factory specs (but I am in Colorado and often cut wood at 10,000 feet - is there anything special I should do?)

Concerning Sharpening the chain, are there any tutorials on how to do this correctly? I would like to learn. Thanks again!

What kind of chain are you running? If it is the chain it came with, toss it and get some from Bailey's. Often times they ship cheap 3/8" LP skip chain with the cheapo saws.

Brad, THANK YOU!

DANG! You just showed the fish your shadow... You shouldn't have used Snelling's first name... You being a :newbie: to this website and all.

Guess you'll have to move your boat, and cast elsewhere eh?

Stop racing them and get you're wood cut and let them worry about theirs. So what if theirs is faster as long as you'res gets the job done. If you are really worried about speed then you will need to get a bigger saw but since you're not buying one, The answer is simple. Stop racing them.

Probably the best suggestion yet. Try the WoodlandPro 34LP or 30LP, depending on your bar.

I have a 16" bar, does that help? I am still using the chain it came with, but this is the one my buddy said that he sharpened and it would be better, but it wasn't.

I am new to all of this and appreciate the help. What about tuning the carb to this altitude?

Latest posts

Back