Help! One saw to fit my needs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need some advice, please! I have been through some POS saws, and I am now saw-less and I am looking for advice on a saw to fit my needs. Here is what I need it for:

I cut about two face chords per year at my home, mostly 4-10" aspen for camp fires. I also maintain about 8 miles of ATV trails, which can be anything too big for my FS130 brush cutter to handle to 24"+ white pines that blow down across the trails. I also cut 3-4 chords per year of fallen pine 8"-24" and ash up to 12".

What are my best choices? I have been looking at a Stihl 250, but I like the idea of buying a 261 and owning it forever, though it is stretching the budget a bit. I wouldn't be opposed to going with something smaller than the 250, as the large white pines are only about 10% of the cutting that I need to do. I would like to be able to run an 18" bar, but 16" would be the minimum that I would feel comfortable with. The local dealers that I have experience with carry Stihl, Husqvarna, and Jonsered, so I would like to stick with those brands. Do I really need a 50cc or bigger saw? Can I get away with something smaller? Do I need to get into the Professional series to get 10+ years out of a saw? I would also add that the majority of my cutting is an hour away from the nearest hardware store, so reliability is very important. Also, this will spend most of its life in the bed of a UTV, but weight is still a factor.

Thanks in advance! I have learned a ton lurking on the site already!

Well, I would Say Either a

Stihl MS441CMR/461
Husqvarna 372XP/390XP
Dolmar 7310/7910

and a 24"-36" bar size (I wouldn't go over 28" for 70cc saws)

From what you mentioned a 70cc and a 24" bar should be plenty.

i'd grab me a 600P with 18" and 24" bars and call it a day, simple, reliable, reasonably priced...no brainer

I think you would do just fine with an ms250. It will last ten years as long as you maintain it. A ms 261 is a big step up in price but you get a lot more saw( build quality and power)

I'm a Husky owner....

And would say look at the 562xp. Should do it all well yet not be too big a saw.

Not sure if it's in your budget, but the pro saws for an engine capacity are both lighter, more powerful, and often lower vibration as well compared to homeowner/farm saws.

All mean more wood gets cut in the same amount of time.

And I'd then say, just keep a couple of different length bars and a couple of chains for each.

Maybe a 16 or 18 for general use, and a 24 for the big pines.

Welcome aboard, for a first time poster you have done a good job of describing your situation. This is a great example of why a multi saw plan is needed, a 40-50 cc saw for limbing and a 70 cc saw for the bigger stuff. Since the majority of your cutting will be smaller stuff I would go with a 261, 346 or 562.

The 346xp is a sweet saw, you won't be disappointed. Light weight,dependable and a screamer. A lot depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Lol, don't listen to the guys recomending 70cc saws for the occasional 24" pine. Easier to cut it from both sides then cutting brush with a 24" bar and a heavy powerhead 90% of the time.

But i wouldn't want to touch stuff that big with less then 50 ccs either. 261 and a 18" bar would be a good choice imo.

What's your budget? I honestly don't think you need over 70cc's. My 562xp covers a broad range and is a good 1 saw plan for my needs.

I'd pick up a new (or lightly used) pro saw ~50cc's, 346xp or 550xp for the majority of your cutting. Pick up a larger used saw 60-70cc+ for felling bigger stuff.

What's your budget? I honestly don't think you need over 70cc's. My 562xp covers a broad range and is a good 1 saw plan for my needs.

I'd pick up a new (or lightly used) pro saw ~50cc's, 346xp or 550xp for the majority of your cutting. Pick up a larger used saw 60-70cc+ for felling bigger stuff.

:clap:

A pro-grade 50cc saw is a nice choice, especially since the 24" stuff is pine.

Lol, don't listen to the guys recomending 70cc saws for the occasional 24" pine. Easier to cut it from both sides then cutting brush with a 24" bar and a heavy powerhead 90% of the time.

But i wouldn't want to touch stuff that big with less then 50 ccs either. 261 and a 18" bar would be a good choice imo.

I kinda agree, these guys are suggesting some big saws for trail work and soft wood. I ride with 40cc saw for trails and fence lines.....and go get a 60CC saw for bigger hardwood. If only one saw, the 261 and 346xp suggestions are great saws.

p.s. #1: I may be the only one, but I have a MS 250 and thought it was a good little saw for what you pay. (and I am a bit overboard on maintenance)

p.s. #2: I don't believe you can stop with one saw:dunno:

Pro-grade 50cc saw will handle what you intend to cut, including occasional 24" softwood. Stihl MS261 or Husqvarna 550xp would be my choice depending on which dealer you felt would service you better. Used Stihl MS260 Pro, 026, or Husqvarna 346xp in good shape would work, too. The secret is a sharp chain with depth gauges set to correct height. My MS260 Pro gets through the wood you describe with little fuss.

I also agree with a 60cc. For a one saw to do anything and, trouble free its a 361/362 style. Remember, the 70cc will use more fuel, a bigger gas can and oil supply in your UTV might be required if it can be dealt with. The MS250 is a good lighter saw, but might be over worked and most noticed in the down the road future.

Latest posts

Back