Help pick a saw to complement an MS210

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an ms391 a few years back and have never been disappointed. I'm still running the 20" bar that came with it, but have been told it can run up to a 28" if needed (but was advised that, that much bar would strain the motor some) put a full chisel chain on it and there won't be much it can't run through.

Most people whenever I'm helping them cut up a tree end up shutting their saws off and just move limbs for me, Bc they can't keep up with it.

If I were to head out tomorrow to cut firewood and had to take a saw that I own other than one of my stihls it would be the 357xp. This saw has blown this stihl guy away. I gave $50 for it and fixed it myself.and my stihl collection is deep with the ms250/024/026/028/036pro/044/ms660.

For the sake of helping me make an informed decision, please open the recommendations to include comparable models from Echo and Dolmar. I am guessing CS-590, 600P and PS6100, 6400 respectively?
Yes, you'd be right with such a guess. For firewooding, another prime saw is the Dolmar PS-421, way beyond any "comparable" Stihl. For general firewooding, such a saw will often get more work than a larger saw. Light, maneuverable, powerful = a big PLUS.

I was under the impression that saws in big box stores were poor quality and should be avoided. But I see that the recommended 455 Rancher (two flavors in 20") as well as the 460 Rancher are available at a certain big box store that is not orange. I get a 10% discount from said store which means I could have a 55cc Husky 455 Rancher with 20" bar for around $375 or a 60cc Husky 460 Rancher with 24" bar for $450.00.

I do assign a high value to a dealer network and the ability to get parts quickly. But at the same time I do much of my repair and service work DIY and the Internet can get me Husky parts pretty quick if I need them. Plus I need to keep in mind I have the MS210 as a back-up.

I know these are not pro-quality saws but I'm looking at a 55-60cc saw with a 20-24" bar for $375-$450. That seems like a tempting deal. Thoughts?

For $450 you can have a new husqy 545/Jred 2252 shipped to your house. No brainer between that and a 455/460.

Just throwing this out... the 291 isn't going anywhere. It's a fairly new design. The 290 went away.
Thanks for the heads-up. I think sales guy might have misheard me or we just miscommunicated.

All the Husqys referenced 455, 460, and 545 are in the 3.x HP ranges. Is that enough?

I've pulled together a "short list" of the best candidate saws to date which has actually grown - my fault because I asked for more information on saws and brands I was not familiar with. Thanks to everyone who has provided input so far. Having said that, I need a way to cull this down a bit. I know that HP and especially displacement numbers on paper do not tell the whole performance story. But I believe there is enough of a correlation between HP numbers and expected performance as a 20-24" felling/bucking saw to use that to filter the list. So I'm refining my selection criteria based on HP and price.

The revised objective is identifying saws that are above 4HP (~60+cc) and below $600. Why? My MS210 16" covers all limbing needs and some light felling and bucking tasks. I want the second saw to add felling/bucking capability beyond what the MS210 can do more than overlapping it. Based on that I seem to be coming back to the Stihl 311 and 391; the only two saws that meet both criteria. I'm open to other brands but I must admit to feeling most comfortable with Stihl given the number and proximity of dealers in my area and real time availability of parts and service combined with my firsthand experience using them.

If I can negotiate an increase in my purchasing budget the 441 and the 362 become #1 and #2 on the list. Capture.JPG

For Husky I would step up to a 555. The 555 is a solid firewood saw and is nearing the 562. The 555 will drive a 20 inch bar well . The 555 has pro quality construction to boot.
Anyone have a lead for the 555 or any of the other saws at competitive prices? I don't see this available for under $620.

Just sold a few of those on your list in the last couple weeks. Lol. You may pm fin460 and see what he has or just put a want to buy add in the trading post. And i know you have your list but if 20" bar is what you want to run. Take a serious look at a 562xp.

If you're at $600, and you have to buy new, I would make the jump to a 362. You'll be glad you did. I'll say it again, you can get a lot more saw for your money if you get a nice used one from the Trading Post, $600 should get you a nice used 70cc saw.

PM spike60 or tlandrum. Ask for a price on a husky555/jred2258(60cc), 365/2166 (70cc) I'd bet they will give a better price than you have seen. Better than your list suggests without a doubt. The 2166 is as much a pro saw as any. If you got $600 you should try to make 70cc happen. It'll pull 24" no problem. Give'm a call. They are sponsors here.
tlandrum(Terry)-423-346-5399 (Tennessee)
Spike60(Bob)-845-657-6395 (New York)

I fear that if you buy a consumer saw and start using it, you will only want more after awhile and you will end up trading saws and spending more money in the long run. Save up for a 362. It is excellent. Mine runs a 20 with authority in the hardest of wood. I occasionally put a 24 on it (turn up the oiler) it cuts OK with that. I really should get it ported though.

I've pulled together a "short list" of the best candidate saws to date which has actually grown - my fault because I asked for more information on saws and brands I was not familiar with. Thanks to everyone who has provided input so far. Having said that, I need a way to cull this down a bit. I know that HP and especially displacement numbers on paper do not tell the whole performance story. But I believe there is enough of a correlation between HP numbers and expected performance as a 20-24" felling/bucking saw to use that to filter the list. So I'm refining my selection criteria based on HP and price.

The revised objective is identifying saws that are above 4HP (~60+cc) and below $600. Why? My MS210 16" covers all limbing needs and some light felling and bucking tasks. I want the second saw to add felling/bucking capability beyond what the MS210 can do more than overlapping it. Based on that I seem to be coming back to the Stihl 311 and 391; the only two saws that meet both criteria. I'm open to other brands but I must admit to feeling most comfortable with Stihl given the number and proximity of dealers in my area and real time availability of parts and service combined with my firsthand experience using them.

If I can negotiate an increase in my purchasing budget the 441 and the 362 become #1 and #2 on the list. View attachment 371216

This has just become a no brainer;
Used MS441/440/044

Hypothetical decision scenario (any similarities to actual persons or saws is purely coincidental):

A ported 545, 550, or rebuilt (non-ported) 372xp?

If most of the wood you cut is <20" in diameter, the ported 545/550 would be fine. If you are routinely cutting wood >20" in diameter, the stock 372 would be a better choice.

Stumbled across a 2010 MS361. Its a dealer used and they are asking $400. Spent a few minutes looking it over and it appears to be in cosmetically fair condition but it obviously used (guessing a landscaper or work saw). Dealer staff said they went through it, did a tune-up, and everything checked out ok. Kicking myself now for not getting pictures.

Anyway, plan to go back tomorrow to get eyes on the sprocket, ask about compression numbers (120+ is what I am looking for?), and of course fire it up. Anything else I should look for or ask about?

Assuming it all checks out, does the price seem ok?

Back