Help Picking A Small Limbing Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the posts guys!

I have been reading through everything in this thread plus the other small saw threads. I really can not tell if all my research has made my decision easier or harder :dizzy:

I think most of you are correct, I do not "need" another saw, but I have an itch to buy another one. I also have a tax return to spend (lol) and a good man for a father.

I am shocked how expensive some of these small pro saws can be too... I bet they are built very well, just overpriced. I guess it comes down to how much I am willing to spend per pound of saw. The husky 339xp is just a shade pricier than my NE346XP (but 2.4lbs lighter).

I do like to buy professional quality equipment even though dad and I are far from YOU real pros. I am a believer that you get what you pay for and I want to inherit these saws someday too.

Blsnellig, I am not sure if I located the thread you referenced, but I think there is some consensus that the small Stihls might not be worth it over the long haul. I believe by this you mean the 170/180/192? Would you include the MS200 in this category? Something is pushing me towards the MS200 (probably the Stihl name and the low weight). Now if I can just close my eyes when I swipe the credit card!

The 339xp is also calling my name...

My preferred dealer sells Stihl, Husky, and Redmax. I really do not know how to modify a saw and I don't want dad to feel compelled to do it, so I think I have narrowed my choices down to:

Husqvarna 336XP (about $500) 8.8lbs
Stihl MS200 Rear Handle (about $630) 7.7lbs
Redmax G3800AVS (about $300) 9.1lbs

Thank you for the reply. I did end up reading that thread today. I agree with you, the MS200 is very very expensive for a little saw.

I was just in the same position looking for a small saw, really wanted a rear handle 200 but settled for a 211. The 211 is a little more heavy than the echo 346 I got but that 346 is just a dog.:cry:

I just went through EXACTLY this decision a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=91325

Basically, in lightweight saws it really comes down to:

MS200
339XP
CS-346
PS-341

This started when I bought a CS-346, which works but a) is underpowered, and b) not built to "professional" standards. I wanted something with better construction and performance, so I bought a 339XP.

The Husky, as I mentioned in that thread, cuts like crazy but I wasn't happy with the ergonomics. It's more suited to someone of larger stature, so I bought the Dolmar. So far, I'm fairly happy with it though I'm still getting the carb dialed in. It cuts well, has a surprising amount of torque for a little saw, and handles like a small saw should.

I didn't consider the MS200, because it's almost $200 more than I paid for the 339XP, which itself was expensive.

Now I need to get off my duff and put that 339XP on eBay.

-=[ Grant ]=-

The CS-346, for some reason that I will never understand, still gets purchased, and compared with other saws of similiar size and construction.

The CS-346 is nothing but one of their old reed valve engines with a rear handle on it, obsolete, slow and WAY underpowered.

I'm hoping that Echo has discontinued all those models by this point, as we keep seeing folks compare them with far superior designs from other manufacturers.

Even worse than that, folks still run out and purchase them, even after we report that they are basically "turds" in comparison to the new piston ported models. We owned several 300's, 301's and still have a 3450 here, which stays at my dad's house in case I need to cut up a twig when I'm over there for a visit. We don't use it for firewood, because we can start making a cut thru a 10" log, then go back in the house and have another cup of coffee and a donut before it would get through it. Certainly a lesson in humility and a complete JOKE to call any of those saws "professional" at any level......Cliff

For those who have used the 339XP with a small bar, do you agree with Grant that the ergonomics are not very good? I am pretty darn short but somewhat stocky. My dad is not tall or slender either, but he is much closer to average than I am.

The Husky, as I mentioned in that thread, cuts like crazy but I wasn't happy with the ergonomics. It's more suited to someone of larger stature, so I bought the Dolmar. So far, I'm fairly happy with it though I'm still getting the carb dialed in. It cuts well, has a surprising amount of torque for a little saw, and handles like a small saw should.

I called my Stihl dealer today about the MS200 (yes, I know WAY too expensive) and they said that since they do not normally stock it, if they order it for me I have to buy it. That means that I bought the saw before I even held it. They also said there is no wiggle room on the price... I think I am going to walk away and focus my attention more on the Husky or Redmax.

For those who have used the 339XP with a small bar, do you agree with Grant that the ergonomics are not very good? I am pretty darn short but somewhat stocky. My dad is not tall or slender either, but he is much closer to average than I am.

I called my Stihl dealer today about the MS200 (yes, I know WAY too expensive) and they said that since they do not normally stock it, if they order it for me I have to buy it. That means that I bought the saw before I even held it. They also said there is no wiggle room on the price... I think I am going to walk away and focus my attention more on the Husky or Redmax.

The ergonomics do not seem bad to me.

But I am probably a little over average height as well as a little stocky.

I sure do enjoy the speed.

346xp MSRP = $479.95
339xp MSRP = $499.95

The Husky tophandles are stupid expensive too, the 338xpt is $499.95 and even the 334t is $369.95, nearly $100 more than a 192t! For an extra $50-60 you can get the 200t instead of the 338. I wonder why their prices are so high on their small pro saws?

Maybe because they want to scare "homeowners" off......:confused:

....but could be low production numbers as well...

Maybe because they want to scare "homeowners" off......:confused:

....but could be low production numbers as well...
I still can't get over the fact that these little saws put out so much power. That little 346xp puts out near the power of my 70cc Mac from the 90's, with the 357xp putting out equal or more. They even define the little buggers as being built for loggers. It's all marketing strategy......

I think they're under the impression that it's where the most demand is. There are a lot more homeowners than there are loggers. My theory is........they make a bunch of cheaper models.....people see that they are built inferior to the "pro versions", hence decide to buy the spendy models. So the company has got a vice going in there direction. They build cheap saws, don't put any time or tech into building them, and put cheap prices on them. Word spreads around that they are also built cheap, so people end up paying for the quality product with power and technology because they have no other choice. :dizzy: Or maybe people are attracted with high prices?

Or I could be completely wrong........ :monkey:

I still can't get over the fact that these little saws put out so much power. That little 346xp puts out near the power of my 70cc Mac from the 90's, with the 357xp putting out equal or more. They even define the little buggers as being built for loggers. It's all marketing strategy......

I think they're under the impression that it's where the most demand is. There are a lot more homeowners than there are loggers. My theory is........they make a bunch of cheaper models.....people see that they are built inferior to the "pro versions", hence decide to buy the spendy models. So the company has got a vice going in there direction. They build cheap saws, don't put any time or tech into building them, and put cheap prices on them. Word spreads around that they are also built cheap, so people end up paying for the quality product with power and technology because they have no other choice. :dizzy: Or maybe people are attracted with high prices?

Or I could be completely wrong........ :monkey:

Most likely, yes! :cheers:

if you want something smaller than your 346xp, you can find old homelite xl's everywhere for dirt cheap....fun fun little saws

After running my 335XPT for a couple months now, I truly love it. Tons of power and very light... so, the Husqvarna limbing saws have my vote.

TFB

Latest posts

Back