Help Selecting A Firewood Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skynugget

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, first time caller, long time listener :) (thanks for all the info)

I grew up in the mountains, and have been felling, bucking, and splitting firewood ever since my dad would let me pick up the saw, i think i was 10 when he handed me that little McCullough for the first time.

At any rate, my wife and i have left the roost, and have our very own house to heat, and i am in need our happy home. Last year, i acquired (for free, wheew) a Homelite (Poulon?) UT10540, and it survived about 4 cords of wood, so I'm in the market!

A little background on my needs:
I've been mainly cutting red oak, black/honey locust, and american chestnut that died in the blight. I rarely cut anything over 20in diameter standing, but any thing on the ground is fair game.

I'm a little guy and spend alot of my energy skidding logs on my shoulders up to the cutting area, and my wife (90lbs dripping wet, but one tough cookie) runs it quite a bit as well. So a small, light, easy starting saw is a must.

I beat the piss out of these lil saws cutting hard/ large rounds and rev'em high and long at least 2 days a week, to get the job done in the fall and winter. I really only have to money to buy one saw, and i don't want to do again it for a long time.

I maintain all of my own equipment and sharpen my own chains so as long as i can get parts I'm ok, but i like the idea of having a knowledgeable service crew to lean on if i get over my head.

I split the case and threw the clutch off of that little homelite so I'm very hesitant to buy a new saw that has the engine mounted on plastic, should i worry about this with a quality saw? i just want this thing to stand up to years of abuse. (with some TLC at the end of the day of course)

I have no brand loyalty at this point, and have narrowed my choices down to 3 saws( but I'm open to other suggestions).

Stihl ms200 - (rear handle) Great Reviews, but damn its expensive, and has alot of plastic, and is listed for occasional use (really?)

Husvarna 435 - great reviews, price is right, but the local dealer kinda sucks, more plastic, and listed for homeowners

Dolmar ps420 - great reviews, the best dealer out of the bunch, feels like a tank, very little plastic, seems to be the most bang for the buck(pro features/mag case), but its also the heaviest. (most likely at the teetering edge of my wifes limits)

what do ya'll think?
thanks for reading :)

I'd go either the ms200 or the Dolmar 420. The Husky 435 isn't made to take the punishment you sound like you'll give the saw. I love my 200t but the 420 would have more torque and is probably the best bet for your application. A good used 024 or 026 for $150-$225 might be an idea as well.

If you're willing to spend the money on a ms200 then maybe you should look at the 346xp and ms261. They should be close to the same money and more saw for the money.

I'd spring for a Dolmar PS5105. It's only .7 lbs heavier than the 420, turns an extra 1000 rpm, and will handle a 20" bar if needed. I'm not sure what the price difference is but I think the 5105 would be a more versatile saw while still being small enough to not wear you out lugging it around. JMHO...not to be confused with fact or reliable information:msp_biggrin:

The MS200 is way too expensive. Looks like 50cc class is what you need. Could get either a MS261 or Husky 346XP. The homeowner saws are OK for ocassional use: Look at Stihl MS250 or Husky 450

Hi, Welcome to ArboristSite. Great bunch here. Make yourself to home!

You are cutting some big stuff for the size of saw you are looking to buy. I understand the weight limitations especially for your wife. She is a great gal for wanting to help with firewood.

Really cutting hardwood in the 20" range, you should be looking at a 60cc size saw.

Of the three saws you mentioned, the Dolmar is a good choice, especially since you like the dealer. The Stihl would be fine as well, as it is the same saw as the MS200T. It just has a rear handle instead of the top handle. Both are truly professional saws. Trouble is, they are very expensive.

Bob

Welcome to AS. I would try to get atleast a saw nearing 60ccs. Especially cutting wood sizes up to 20 inches. I would go for a Stihl 361 or 362. Or something similar to that like a Husky 357. These are pro quality saws and will stand up to your uses much better. Firewood cutting can be demanding on a saw from the repetitive cuts.

I also would recommend you get a quality 50 cc saw...
There perfect for what you need!! Not too heavy and strong.

For NEW...I would recommend the Stihl 260/261 or Husky 346.

But if was really in you shoes and (and have a good Dolmar dealer)...
I would buy the one that nmurph has for sale in the classifieds.

It is a Makita 540 ...54cc...3.3hp. ...and has 150lbs. compression
(compression gauge in photo shows 150 + lbs. compression)

And for $170 without bar and chain....you put on what you want!!

It's on page three in classifieds...about half way down...(under saws)
I'd buy this saw myself if I didn't have a pristine Stihl 026!!

nmurph is a very well respected member here for sure!!
(full disclosure....I have No connections to nmurph...never met or spoke to him)
This is just a whale of a deal...With ship and new bar and chain = $250 ??)
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:

Dolmar ps420 - great reviews, the best dealer out of the bunch, feels like a tank, very little plastic, seems to be the most bang for the buck(pro features/mag case), but its also the heaviest. (most likely at the teetering edge of my wifes limits)

what do ya'll think?
thanks for reading :)

At least let her try to handle the 346xp - as it is a much more suitable saw, without a lot more weight. If it is a bit too heavy, look at a MS260 (not 261) - it weights about like the PS-420, but is a somewhat weaker 50cc saw.

Since your in Maryland...I'd go to HD and buy a used 6401 and save a ton of that money for something else. Got mine for under $250, it's a 64cc saw, came with a 20" bar and was a steal of a deal! And if you were going to spend $600 anyway....room for a nice little saw for her. A used Stihl 026 in used condition runs $250-300 all day long, that would be a good combo.

Dolmar 6401 and a 026, yep, that's my vote!:msp_wink:

Leaves $100 left over for a new bar and chain if one of them needs it and a Fiskers super splitter too!

30-40cc saws are not what you want for bucking lots of firewood.

Move up to 50cc. You can get a 346XP for less than an MS200. 90lb Wife can probably handle it just fine. If not, feed her more cheeseburgers.

Welcome, and I agree with many above, 346-260-261 We just got a 026 from this site with less than ten hours on it for my buddy. 300 shipped to California good deal. Got him the saw with the money he had, and application just like yours. Primary actually only saw, and in 20 in stuff. I have a 51 husky been running it in that size wood, all hardwood to since 98, 3/8 full skip on it 20 in bar. Still runs like a champ piston, and comp. Like new. Those 50 plus cc pros are underated by quite a few peopl I think. They are made for firewwod, and a heavy dose of it. If not I dont think they would build them to run a 20 in bar. Good luck Norm...........

Whoa Nellie!!!!.....your wife weighs less than 90 lbs.????
And you're gonna have her cutting firewood???

Man...the saws that are being mentioned...including mine...
are waaayyy too big for the little lady to handle...IMHO.

They're prolly ok for a guy...even a smaller guy...like you.

If she's gonna be cutting...I'm thinking ms181 or ms211 max!!
at 9.5 lbs. powerhead only....and that's if she has some experience!!
Just don't want her to get tired or whatever and get hurt!!!!!

What I'm saying is a 10+ lb. saw is more than 10% of her body weight.
I weigh 180+ and would not like using a 20+ lb. saw!!!
J2F

Last edited:
That's a good point dude! My girl get's her own saw I got her one of those echo mini pruning pole saws. Its about 3 feet long its a shrunken pole saw, light easy to hanlde, safety chain, and she is totally out of harms way. No kick back worries.

Look at the Efco 152. It cuts great, starts great... and will be all the saw you'll need. For the price you can't beat it. It's a lot cheaper than a Husky 346xp. I just got done cutting with mine and everyone that handled it was impressed. You won't be dissappointed with it!!

Best bang for your buck would be the Stihl 028 in this sites classifieds. Guy is asking $160 and lives in N.C. Meets all of your requirements and is absolutely durable (mag case) decent power. Oldie but goodie. Love mine.

I reckon she would handle any of the lower 50cc saws, if not buy her a small dolmar or maybe a shindaiwa and get yourself a 60cc banger, like an ms362, solo 658 or maybe even a dolmar 6401/21

wheeew thanks for all the posts/suggestions all, keep em comin!

I'd spring for a Dolmar PS5105. It's only .7 lbs heavier than the 420, turns an extra 1000 rpm, and will handle a 20" bar if needed. I'm not sure what the price difference is but I think the 5105 would be a more versatile saw while still being small enough to not wear you out lugging it around. JMHO...not to be confused with fact or reliable information:msp_biggrin:

The dealer told me this is the only dolmar saw hes had consistently back in the shop with problems, he thinks it maybe rev's to high, and didn't recommend it.

30-40cc saws are not what you want for bucking lots of firewood.

Move up to 50cc. You can get a 346XP for less than an MS200. 90lb Wife can probably handle it just fine. If not, feed her more cheeseburgers.

man thats a light power head, we'll have to check it out.
vegan...

Whoa Nellie!!!!.....your wife weighs less than 90 lbs.????
And you're gonna have her cutting firewood???

Man...the saws that are being mentioned...including mine...
are waaayyy too big for the little lady to handle...IMHO.

They're prolly ok for a guy...even a smaller guy...like you.

If she's gonna be cutting...I'm thinking ms181 or ms211 max!!
at 9.5 lbs. powerhead only....and that's if she has some experience!!
Just don't want her to get tired or whatever and get hurt!!!!!

What I'm saying is a 10+ lb. saw is more than 10% of her body weight.
I weigh 180+ and would not like using a 20+ lb. saw!!!
J2F
if ya want to get technical, i think she weighs 93lbs (don't tell her i said that) and maybe 5'3, you ever try to find a set of size 00 chaps?!?!? :) shes got a fair amount of xp, she could safely run the old Farmboss, but with noticeable fatigue after bit of bucking.

a bit of background on the stubbornness of my wife:

if i get her her own "girl saw" she will just flood it on purpose and pick up mine, she'll also busted a couple perfectly good bow saw to prove a point. And lord don't tell her she can't do something, last time someone did that she ended up dodging IED's in Iraq for two years (her driving scares me now).

i know i should get bigger saw but honestly this season i had the choice between my buddies stihl magnum with a 20" in bar (*grunt) and the lil'homelite. After i got past the novelty of 70'cc, (im used to a Farmboss with a 20") i found myself using the homelite more and more, and finally stopped taking the mag to pack more wood. i got real used to being able to whip it around through long walks in the woods hunting for diseased/dead wood.

Latest posts

Back