HELP - Trouble with 044 #2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had two people who I consider to be knowledgeable tell me that if the primary windings in the coil are good and the secondaries are bad, this could be the result. I hope they are correct.

I appreciate the support. Where in LI are you? Nice place to be, just terrible getting there, the Bridge tolls alone will kill you. What are they about $15 a day now?

I'm still a noob here but do you have a multimeter? If you wanna check ohms at the coil to see what it's reading. Couple good videos on YouTube. My HT lead on my 044 had a short . But my coil was still reading good. Process of elimination

Edit: I believe the service manuals show the range of ohms. Also you can check the electrical and see if it's shorting somewhere. I learned a lot how to properly test with a multimeter on my 044.

I've had two people who I consider to be knowledgeable tell me that if the primary windings in the coil are good and the secondaries are bad, this could be the result. I hope they are correct.

I appreciate the support. Where in LI are you? Nice place to be, just terrible getting there, the Bridge tolls alone will kill you. What are they about $15 a day now?
When you get time, running it on the squirt will tell you immediately if you have a coil problem. If you deliver the fuel, the coil works and she stays running there might not be a need to grab a coil. If she wont run on the squirt, Its electric.

Eastern part, tolls suck

Did you check the compression and/or inspect the P&C thru the exhaust outlet? Just wondering... It only takes a couple minutes. It's always the first thing I check.

Problem solved, it was the coil. The saw has a lot of new parts now, including Huztl Coil and Carb (with snorkel). Will keep you posted on how they hold up and perform.

Since my 044 did not originally have a snorkel carb, I covered the snorkel with a cloth (.22 patch) and a tight rubber band. So far, it works.

Other than the snorkel, the carb fits right on, and even has the narrow adjustment screws, which I prefer. It is also labeled ZAMA! The coil itself was a direct fit, but the spark plug line is longer than need be, a bit of a pain, but hey, it runs and it was a lot less expensive!

It was so nice to finally get that thing fired up and running again. RELIEVED!!!!!!!!

To Brad,

Thanks, me too!!!

I tried that (with the carb), it does not work. The holes are a little different, and the alignment pins are not in the same corners.

I think what I did will work.

To Brian,

As long as it works, I'm happy.

I'm just glad that it is running again, and that the problem was not something I previously addressed!

To Brad,

Thanks, me too!!!

I tried that (with the carb), it does not work. The holes are a little different, and the alignment pins are not in the same corners.

I think what I did will work.

To Brian,

As long as it works, I'm happy.

I'm just glad that it is running again, and that the problem was not something I previously addressed!
Let me know how you like that carb ,i have a new one in the box i have not put on a saw yet

OK, I could not resist it, got it for $18 shipped!

It sounds good now, but I will see what I think when I put it to wood, and how well it holds up.

Hey, if everything is being made in China anyway, who knows, it may be just as good!

The last rebuild kit I got was made in China also, so it seems you just can't avoid it.

I'm also curious how that coil will do. Will have to give 044 #2 a good workout when I get a chance.

Oh, for anyone who cares, those vents (w/the flat top) that they say will work on 440/044s DO NOT FIT THE 044S WITH THE TUBE VENT.

Glad I only purchased 2, I almost went for 10.

Mike, I hope you'll give us some feedback both now and follow up in 9 months to a year. You've had enough experience and trigger time with an 044 to give credence to your opinion of the power output. I'm interested in how it starts, how she performs at WOT, and if it "feels" right to you in the cut.

I would also add that in my experience with Chinese electronics they tend to have a rather alarmingly high infant mortality rate. Either DOA, or die very early (say first week to a month). The experience I'm drawing from is not related to ignition coils, but rather individual components in PC boards. The good news: if they actually work up to spec and last more than a week, the "good" ones perform well for years.

Good to know. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and provide feedback. I don't know if they are really any different from any one else, or if they are all selling the same stuff, but I went with Huztl because the feedback from AS members seemed to be more favorable to their stuff. I was just so glad when it fired & kept running. Even today, the old coil fired, then died about 20 to 30 seconds later. Makes you want to scream!

I started to think it was ignition instead of fuel because every time I pulled the new plug, it was wet.

I got a imitation eleasto start recoil cord from a sponsor and it came apart in my hand in less than a month (on this saw). So now my one 044 has factory elasto start, and the other does not. The elasto is much more comfortable, the 044s don't have C/R.

I did not put it to wood, but started it several times (when tuning, etc), and it sounds good so far, and seems to have good response. I started with both Hi & Low out 1&1/16 to begin with. I left the Hi alone, but had to crank the low in a good amount to get it to idle.

It will be at Bob's GTG on Saturdy.

Back