help with 3-10e

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeymt33

I bleed YELLOW!
Reaction score
For those few that have experience with the electric start macs. I have a 3-10e that I've been working on and the saw runs great but I need help with the electric start. It may be missing a wire or two. I don't have the batteries for it but I want to test the electric start with a motorcylce battery and I need some help with testing that. Where should I connect my positive and negative wires from my battery??

I'll post some pics of what I got for you all to look at and tell me what I"m missing

thanks in advance

picture.php

I would like to use the motorcycle battery to test the electric start option to make sure it works before I spend the money on a battery pack. thanks again

I'll have to take my 3-10E battery out to see. Basically 2 wires that the battery hooks to could be used to jump it. You really need a pack so you can get one rebuilt. There are 5 sets of 2 "C" sized NiCads, and they have to be joined just so so that they will fit in the tray and have the cover fit.

Send me a PM sometime tomorrow to remind me, and I'll see if I can get some pics up. While you have the flywheel off, clean the copper on the commutator, and make sure the grooves inbetween are clean of carbon.
While you're at it, put your email adderss in the PM, and I'll get you a copy of the E start manual supplement.

Last edited:
I will do, thanks.

I'm hoping that it will start with the motorcylce battery. I have a battery plus store that is close to the house so I can give them all the info I have on the battery pack. Which consists of a picture and I know it is 12v.

I don't have any experience working on the electric start models but I do have a copy of the Mac 10 Series shop manual which includes several pages of info on servicing the electric start models. PM me if you are interested in a copy.

I now have a copy of the shop manual. thanks

I am still having trouble, in the above pictures you can see that there are some places wires should go and I don't have the wires. I tried to look at the shop manual but with out a real clear picture i'm still not sure on it.

OK, Junior, here goes.
Start with a 3-10E

DSCF3490.jpg

Here's the battery box

DSCF3491.jpg

Under the hood.

DSCF3496.jpg

DSCF3495.jpg

the wires you need to connect to the bike battery ( I hope it's less than 6 amps)

DSCF3497.jpg

Now for the good stuff. The long black wire from the handle sneaks through the battery box, under the shroud, and connects here: (the wire going to the coil in this pic is from the kill switch.)

DSCF3494.jpg

The other wire at the opposite end...

DSCF3493.jpg

comes from here....

DSCF3502.jpg

The bigger plastic coated wire that goes to the choke coil is from the stator, the cloth covered smaller one goes from the points to the coil, here.

DSCF3492.jpg

The other wire that attaches where the stator does to the choke coil is the negative lead that goes to the battery.

If you wondered who was in on this technology in the 60's, here's your answer...

DSCF3499.jpg

When you get a battery pack made by Batteries Plus, make sure they give you enough room b3etween the cells to put the hold down bar completely between them.

DSCF3501.jpg

When you go back together, the hold down straps will make the bar sit higher. If the bar will not go completely between them, then the bar will sit too high, and you will have a gap between the covers. Like this on our 5-10E

DSCF2864.jpg

Hope this helps out.

Last edited:
you put in alot of effort, I really appreciate it. I will try to work on this over the next couple of days to see if it will start.

thanks again

Ok MacTodd, thanks again for the pics. I have tried hooking up my battery to see if it would start. You can see in these two pics where I placed my positive and negative wires. When I hit the start button the fly wheel will "click" and barely move. I can feel it move if it put my hand on it but I can't really see it move. I can only feel it "bump". I've tried this with the spark plug out and even tried to spin the fly wheel when I hit the start button. I did clean between the grooves of copper behind the flywheel like you mentioned. I'm not sure if something is bad or i'm doing something wrong. Maybe I need to get some blue "fruit-of-the-looms" underwear next to my saw like you have.:laugh:

picture.php

picture.php

Don't be hatin' on the Fruits, man. They make great rags :D

What size is the battery? Is it fully charged? Only other thing I could think of is the brushes may not be making good contact. Hit them with some fine sandpaper to knock of any glaze. Otherwise, get out the ohmmeter, and start checking out the circuits like the manual says.
Make sure there isn't anything causing a short. The 5-10 we have starts good, but doesn't charge. Not a big deal to me, as the wall charger works pretty good.
I've got the complete setup minus batteries and the cover from another 5-10 if you find a bad part.

the battery will start my 350cc honda. I will try tomorrow sanding the brushes and where they make contact. I'll let y'all know

well, the 3-10E has a functioning electric start now. While using the 3-10E manual for trouble shooting I was following the directions under "shunt winding check" and found this piece to be defective according to the test results. so, I took it out and washed it with some degreaser because it was really greasy. I figured I'd give it another try and it started upon the first push of the button. Thanks for all the pictures and the manual.

Its now time to go to batteries plus

Eggselint :clap:

You'll find that using the E start is more of a thing to impress folks with. I think a good Mac 10 starts easy enough with the rope. It'll definitely be a conversation piece!

Let us know what your local Batteries Plus charges for the set. Last one (only one) I bought was $69, I think others were able to get a set up for around $35.

I took an 18v DeWalt battery to the same place to have it rebuilt, they wanted something like $70 for a rebuild...I can get two new one for $99 so now I have a small collection of defunct DeWalt 18v XRP battery sets as well.

Mark

Latest posts

Back