Help with MS 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
City Slicker

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
On a stock MS 361 I purchased a couple months ago with a 20" bar and 3/8" chain. What size of file do I use to sharpen the chain? Can't seem to locate my manual right now and there's plenty of daylight left for cutting!

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Common 7/32" files (5.5mm)

That is OK, but Stihl prescribe 13/64" (5.2mm).....:greenchainsaw:

I use the 5.2 initially, then change to 5.5 (the 5.5 Husky (pferd) files here have a lot more "bite" than the Stihl 5.2 ones), then change back to 5.2 for the last part of the chain......

Last edited:
Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
Troll you like the Pferd files better than Stihl? I need to try them. I been using Stihl, what is the price difference? Imma try them when my current files need replaced.

pgg

Addicted to ArboristSite
The hard to find 13/64" file is ok for the initial one or two sharpens on 3/8" chain but they leave too much hook eventually, the 7/32" easier to get a good shape on most 3/8" chain and a spare .325 3/16" file comes in handy when the chains' teeth are on their last gasp..

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
The hard to find 13/64" file is ok for the initial one or two sharpens on 3/8" chain but they leave too much hook eventually, the 7/32" easier to get a good shape on most 3/8" chain and a spare .325 3/16" file comes in handy when the chains' teeth are on their last gasp..

I agree, except for the 3/16" files...:)

Pablo26

Pablo26

ArboristSite Guru
Interesting alternation of file sizes up 7/32, down to 3/16 will have to try that next time I get there, but I do like the Pferd files. I think baileys has "red box" 13/64 for super cheap, could try a box if you have an order.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Interesting alternation of file sizes up 7/32, down to 3/16 will have to try that next time I get there, but I do like the Pferd files. I think baileys has "red box" 13/64 for super cheap, could try a box if you have an order.

Well, as I said, I prefere the Husky/Pferd files - but they don't come in 13/64".....:greenchainsaw:

pgg

Addicted to ArboristSite
The 3/16 only for reshaping the last dregs of teeth if desperate enough to be wearing the whole lot to the last thin rivet, by then tending to burn bars with loose blunt chains and no bar oil, a saw'll run like that for months light duty with not much problem, the chain and bar steam in the rain, but bar oil does help, but back to files it's the stihl chain that'll wreck oregon files, but after the stihl chain is filed then the oregon files are fine

Latest posts