Here's a few thoughts about this forum's wood burners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowtech,
Not enough to care-not like a wood stove. The furnace is in the basement and very little smoke gets upstairs. A non-issue.

Our antique cookstove's primary intended use was to cook, not as a heating appliance. That said, it throws off a huge amount of heat (ask anyone who runs one often). The oil furnace in the basement kicks in to pick up the slack between 2 and 3am. We used about 150 gallons from November and the middle of March, which was the last time it kicked on.

All my wood was free and I don't suffer from CAD. So my hard costs for this season's heating were 150 gallons @$2.50 ($375ish) plus the incidentals of gas for the saws and trucking wood from cutting sites to home.

A previous owner of our 150+ year old house switched out the wood furnace for the oil. I've thought about hooking up the old model back up (still connected to the ductwork) but the cost of adding a separate flue are prohibitive at the moment.

All my wood was free and I don't suffer from CAD. So my hard costs for this season's heating were 150 gallons @$2.50 ($375ish) plus the incidentals of gas for the saws and trucking wood from cutting sites to home.

At the risk of being accused of hijacking this thread I would like to expound on your point. One of the hidden costs of heating with wood is CAD. This may not be understood or believed by someone considering this form of alternative fuel. If one who goes this route is predisposed to addictive disorders all savings from lower fuel costs go out the window with the purchase of additional cutting equipment purchased through the years. This addiction is exacerbated by the associated purchases of PPE, mauls, wedges, chains, chain sharpeners, trailers, tractors, skidders, and hydraulic wood splitters.

Personally, I am in denial and refer to the chicken or the egg argument. I prefer to take the position that the savings in fuel allow me to purchase these tools that I always wanted anyway. I further enable myself by suggesting that after I have 20 years worth of firewood I may start selling some to support my habit.

If that furnace is inside your going to get the smell...every time you open the door to feed it your going to get some smoke coming out.

So what? I like a little smell of smoke now and then. It is really not bad though most of the little bit of smell there is stays in the basement. If you don't like the smell of a little smoke now and again I guess you shouldn't burn wood for heat.

Incense for us hill folk.

When the stove first went in, Jake (Dalmatian290) was kind of unhappy.

He'd stand outside sometimes, not really wanting to come back inside.

I'm pretty certain he didn't like the smell.

Then he discovered when it's cranked up to about 650º on the flue thermometer and radiating heat like the July sun...it's awful nice to curl up next to it.

Now I think he gets depressed when it's not burning.

"Crappiekeith"
Just to make a statement. Everyone has their own ideas about what will work the best for their situation. Many may not be correct or the best, but if it's what they THINK they want then it is hard to beat. Some just may not have the proper setup for what is best so they do the next best thing. "LIKE ME"

I have a homebrew OWB that works OK but eats wood like crazy. I would LOVE to put in a wood furnace but my layout just doesn't permit it the way I want.
Would a wood furnace in my basement be more efficient? "YES"
Will I put one in my basement? "NO"
I don't want the wood/ mess/ bugs/ smoke/ etc. in my house.
I would love to put one in my garage but that would mean running duct work under ground due to the garage being unnattached. Plus I would be pushing air approx 40' before I even entered my existing duct work. Then I would enter from the small end therefore have no real pressure at the outlets in the house.
If someone could figure out how to accomplish this I'm all ears and by golly I'll do it.
In a nutshell what I'm saying is that my current heat source isn't the most efficient but it's the best for my situation.

I went with the furnace just because it made the most sense for me. I wanted a boiler but the house was forced air so no infrastructure was already there to support it. I briefly thought about a stand alone stove for the first floor, but again, the furnace made the most sense. The wood furnace will heat the entire house evenly just like the oil furnace instead of mostly just heating one room. I've got a firebox that can handle 26" long splits with a 12" x 12" door so large hunks of oak, locust, etc...are not a problem. As far as smoke, bugs, etc...if you've got problems with those you've got, well, problems. If you're getting smoke in the house you've got some sort of draft or negative pressure issue going on. As far as bugs, I would never store more than three or four days worth of wood in the house. Banging the splits together a few times as you take them off the pile also helps.

I'm still debating between the Woodgun 100 and the Cb 5036. I have a new 2200 sf. house that should use very little heat. I used to love cutting wood but I'm 46 next month and not getting younger. I don't have an infinite supply of free wood neither. I like the Cb cause you just drop it in the yard, the Woodgun I have to make a shed and split wood in smaller chunks and make storage and that is costly too. The Cb was 5400 dollars, the Woodgun is 8900 for stainless and 7700 for plain metal. I alao am not sure it pays to burn wood in a very well insulated house after the stove, instulation, time and energy scrounging wood when I could be hunting and fishing. I wonder though how much much wood does a Cb 5036 use to heat a super insulated house with a heat load of 64k btu @ -10 ??? The truth is it's not worth it except for two things. Comfort especially with radiant heat and the fact that I still enjoy cutting wood to some degree.

Very interesting, KT.
So then can someone please tell me why one would want an owb at all?

What is the benefit? (or supposed benefit?)
Not having to bring wood into the cellar / garage? :confused:

-br

1. Yes...mess is outside
2. No indoor smoke
3. Can be set up to heat outbuildings, pools/spas, ect. easily

Yes, OWB's are inefficient. If I had a basement, I'd get a gasifier. but they are salty price-wise, need absolutely dry wood, and to effectively utilize them, storage,dump zones, etc. I have a small wood stove in the house, was the primary source of heat. Having a heated shop is a big blessing too!!

I installed a Aqua Therm 145 five years ago when they went on sale shipped for $2999. Complete with a heat exchanger for my house and one for the pool along with the underground pipe & insulation, I have less than $4500 invested not counting my time with the install.

Along with my 2400 sf house I heat my 900sf shop and in the spring heat my swimming pool.

The year before I installed the OWB we burned around 1500 gallons:dizzy: of propane for heat, hot water, gas stove and gas dryer(no pool). I purchased my tank from the "stealer" five years ago complete for $450 and now I shop around twice a year when its time to fill up.

I last had a delivery in October of 2008, 245 gallons a $1.55. I have another delivery's scheduled for next week should be about the same number gallons at $1.50

I am looking at 1000 gallons per year in savings or $1500-$1800 depending on the price of propane. If you count the cost of my tank $450, saw $500 and what I have into my log splitter $1200 I am just now entering my "break even" stage.

I burn +-10 cords of wood a year along with a truck load of cutoffs from a local pallet mfg once every other week....all free.

Would I do it again? Yes, but like most here I wish I would of purchased the next size stove, but hey money was tight back then and maybe the extra exercise will keep me around another 10 years to drive the wife a little more crazy!

Last edited:
Very interesting, KT.
So then can someone please tell me why one would want an owb at all?

It amazes a simple head like mine to see something as simple as burning wood for heat psycho analyzed as if it was rocket science.

I have burned wood in almost every applaince known to man and have yet to see or operate the pefect one for all needs, all people, all the time.
Could it be that there is no such thing as the fitz-all wood burner???:dizzy: Could it be this is what we have choices?:confused:
Three years ago I spent almost 3 grand in 12 months with ma Gasco. Since my OWB was installed I have spent less than 500 per year. I own my woods, I like to be in them, I like to cut wood and would cut it if it rotted where I stacked it (and have). I save money, enough to more than pay for the thing. My insurance guy is very happy. My neighbors are not complaining. My house is warm all over. The mess is outside. I dont mind loading it outside. Some little birdies were happy to sit by the warm loading door one very cold day ( aahhhh:))

My past experiance is that most people who look at wood burning in less than romantic terms dont last very long at it. The two stoves I currently own are freebies from people who soon tired of saving money burning wood.

Burn in whatever trips your own trigger and enjoy. If it is strictly a mechanical type money saving deal or "how much is your time worth" deal then here is some advise,,

burn gas or 'lectric and be happy.

It amazes a simple head like mine to see something as simple as burning wood for heat psycho analyzed as if it was rocket science.

I have burned wood in almost every applaince known to man and have yet to see or operate the pefect one for all needs, all people, all the time.
Could it be that there is no such thing as the fitz-all wood burner???:dizzy: Could it be this is what we have choices?:confused:
Three years ago I spent almost 3 grand in 12 months with ma Gasco. Since my OWB was installed I have spent less than 500 per year. I own my woods, I like to be in them, I like to cut wood and would cut it if it rotted where I stacked it (and have). I save money, enough to more than pay for the thing. My insurance guy is very happy. My neighbors are not complaining. My house is warm all over. The mess is outside. I dont mind loading it outside. Some little birdies were happy to sit by the warm loading door one very cold day ( aahhhh:))

My past experiance is that most people who look at wood burning in less than romantic terms dont last very long at it. The two stoves I currently own are freebies from people who soon tired of saving money burning wood.

Burn in whatever trips your own trigger and enjoy. If it is strictly a mechanical type money saving deal or "how much is your time worth" deal then here is some advise,,

burn gas or 'lectric and be happy.

Yes, and I did forget to mention that I do enjoy cutting wood, and trying to control the ensuing CAD...As was mentioned in another thread...woodburning is a different lifestyle altogether

We don't get an indoor smoke odor from our wood stove. We have 15ft. of Selkirk Metalbestos as a chimney and burn a Jotul F600cb.

Most indoor smoke issues with wood stoves are from not enough chimney....and opening the stove at bad times. It is almost 100% avoidable.
+1. We never have an indoor smoke smell in the same room as the burning stove. On occasion a down draft will create a smoke smell in other rooms of the hopuse that have a chimney flue. That's because the stove smoke will blow down those flues and trickle right past closed dampers. If no fire is in those flues, then there is no up draft to counteract the down draft.

South winds and low barometric pressure centers generally create the down drafts. They never occur with high pressure centers and north winds.

On occasion a down draft will create a smoke smell in other rooms of the hopuse that have a chimney flue. That's because the stove smoke will blow down those flues and trickle right past closed dampers. If no fire is in those flues, then there is no up draft to counteract the down draft.

Are these occasional downdrafts allowing carbon monoxide to enter your home? Do you have detectors in those rooms?

Shari

Are these occasional downdrafts allowing carbon monoxide to enter your home? Do you have detectors in those rooms?

Shari
Yes, we have CO detectors on each floor. They never come on. These other two flues are gas log fireplaces that are mostly decoration. If the smoke smell gets a little strong, I just light a gas fire and send the draft back up the chimney for a few minutes. That gets rid of the down draft.

not sure if i'm qualified to even weigh in on this subject, but here it goes. I just took the plunge and just forked out just shy of 10 grand for a 2012 epa cert. owb. that's a gasser. ya few bucks more than the regular owb that's just a normal burner. But the neighbor has a reg. owb and i didnt want to put two next to each other with the smoking issue. not to mention that i'll burn only a third of what he does to heat three times the sq. that he has. the roi on this owb. is right at about 4.5 to five yrs. So to spend the little extra money and put it outside and keep the mess outside priceless, not to mention insurance guys really likes that it's outside also...lol As for the wood, i've got the county bringing 6" and up rounds to my house that they have to take care of along side the road or in town for free...cant beat that... so it uses only a third of the wood as normal owb's and it does not smoke like others all in all just my two cents worth...charlie

I have a crawl space, so indoor furnace was not an option. Looked at an EPA fireplace, but the cost was nearly as much as an OWB. So OWB it is. A gasser was out of the question from the get go, I am away frequently and no way my wife is going to start a fire from scratch every day of the winter. Smoke?, what smoke? Not an issue, I burn seasoned wood.

Back