HEY BOB! What's steel, sharp. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good lookin work Nate! Might have to purty up the old mans spring board with the draw knife this summer. May even get adventurous and make one just so I have a lil smithing project!

Hey thinkin maybe we should start a thread on our forestry blacksmithing projects or any related projects having to do with forestry and metal. I suppose saw dawgs could be included. I'm gonna dig my plot center staff out and snap a picture and start it in a few here!

Hey TRX if you get some from Nate I wouldn't mind taking a look sometime in person this summer if you don't mind. I'll be working up your way.

Wes

Last edited:
Grain orientation is important on the boards, old Ray was very picky, often disrupting most of a unit for the perfect board.

Wondering if 1/4 sawn wouldn't be the best grain orientation for strength?

quarter-end.jpg

Good lookin work Nate! Might have to purty up the old mans spring board with the draw knife this summer. May even get adventurous and make one just so I have a lil smithing project!

Hey thinkin maybe we should start a thread on our forestry blacksmithing projects or any related projects having to do with forestry and metal. I suppose saw dawgs could be included. I'm gonna dig my plot center staff out and snap a picture and start it in a few here!

Hey TRX if you get some from Nate I wouldn't mind taking a look sometime in person this summer if you don't mind. I'll be working up your way.

Wes

Hey, if you do purdy it up, post some good picture of it!

Anybody figure out what they were tryin to do there? I don't speak French lol. Only thing I can tell is they didn't want it to roll down hill off the stump...

Spring board looked pretty good. I'd for sure want more than just the diamond plate for traction. Small dimple dies and smooth sheet aluminum would be the ticket I would think...

It seems like they are trying to keep the butt on the up hill side using the stem as a deflector? Waste of wood and time.

It looks like that cut is acting like what we do with plastic wedges,makes the tree aim the way they want to fall

It seems like they are trying to keep the butt on the up hill side using the stem as a deflector? Waste of wood and time.

Zackly what I'm thinking. No wedging, though. Might be useful on burnt stuff where the good wood is up higher and the down-low stuff isn't strong enough for a wedge. Of course, hingewood would be at a premium, too, so... I guess one way to test for the suitability of this cut would be to bore vertically, where the hinge would go, to check if the chips are good wood. If so, the stem stob might be preferable to bouncin' one off a power line (not that I would know anything about that, nor would my crew watching in horror and amazement while I did it). Not in much of a hurry to try it out, I'll say that much.

It's an Austrian developed technique for rock slide and snow slide abatement.

Cutting that way makes the tree into a big spoon, as apposed to a round high-stump that falling or moving objects would tend to just 'roll around'. From what I've read, it works pretty good until they rot or break off.

Ah that makes 100% sense now! Interesting approach for the landslides and clears up why the weird cut.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

So, we haven't had a real bad winter here in Montana -- in fact, it's been kinda down right mild. But apparently, it's been bad enough that Bob's springboard shoes had to get a little sun on the way home. Who would'a thunk Ol Hawaii was in between Nor Cal and Montanny?

WTF!?

:dunno::dunno:

attachment.php

:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL...that's the same thing I got when I ran the trace number. I thought maybe I'd made a mistake when I entered the numbers but I guess not. No wonder they're not here yet.

Maybe they'll throw in a free pineapple or coconut with the package.

One thought disturbs though...the shoes have left Hawaii, but for where? This could get interesting.

LOL...that's the same thing I got when I ran the trace number. I thought maybe I'd made a mistake when I entered the numbers but I guess not. No wonder they're not here yet.

Maybe they'll throw in a free pineapple or coconut with the package.

One thought disturbs though...the shoes have left Hawaii, but for where? This could get interesting.

No more updates today. . . Maybe they had to stop off in Australia or Papua New Guinea on their way to Northern Africa? :laugh:

Back