HEY BOB! What's steel, sharp. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They won't float like a soccer ball....:msp_mellow:

Hmmm...maybe when they get here I'll name them Wilson.

Gotta find them first though. They made it from Montana to Hawaii in record time so I'm thinking air freight. Now they've left Hawaii for...somewhere...and they can't be found. I'm thinking a Sause Bros tug and barge and a leisurely trip through the South Pacific culminating, someday, in an arrival back on the Left Coast. Probably Seattle. Then we can start all over again.

I'm building up to a rant on this but it's a ways off yet.

Springboards are cool and very interesting. can you guys that have expirience using them or knowledge about using them tell us more about them? Have springboards always had a steel shoe? i thought i read somewhere that they were cut in the woods. do you typically install a few springboards and plank between them or just work of the springboard itself (depending on the tree)? We dont ever see any old springboards around the east at flee markets or anywhere.

Springboards are cool and very interesting. can you guys that have expirience using them or knowledge about using them tell us more about them? Have springboards always had a steel shoe? i thought i read somewhere that they were cut in the woods. do you typically install a few springboards and plank between them or just work of the springboard itself (depending on the tree)? We dont ever see any old springboards around the east at flee markets or anywhere.

If you want your springboard to last and to be a stable platform a shoe is a big advantage. I prefer a shoe.

That being said, I've seen them made out of limbs, slabs cut from trees, old boards with a couple of nails driven in the end, ax handles, a jeep fender, a Dodge Power Wagon fender ...anything really that you could grab quick and poke into a tree. They're not as good as a purpose made 'board but they'll work in a pinch.

On the big Redwoods we'd often build an entire scaffolding system, crude but effective, from springboards and cross planks that we free handed. On smaller trees a springboard, or a pair of them, was all that was needed.

Do a search on YouTube...there's better videos on there than my explanation.

LOL, That's funny! :laugh:

"Bob, how are you fixin' tah get up high in that tree there?"

Bob: "Wilson. . ."

Or if you had somebody that needed schooling you could send him looking for Wilson.

Or if somebody asks you "you single jacking today?" you could say..."Nah, I got Wilson with me.".

Man, the possibilities are just endless.

Now all we need to do is get Wilson here after his South Seas voyaging.

Or if you had somebody that needed schooling you could send him looking for Wilson.

Or if somebody asks you "you single jacking today?" you could say..."Nah, I got Wilson with me.".

Man, the possibilities are just endless.

Now all we need to do is get Wilson here after his South Seas voyaging.

Depart USPS Sort Facility
March 23, 2013
REDDING, CA 96049

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

If you want your springboard to last and to be a stable platform a shoe is a big advantage. I prefer a shoe.

That being said, I've seen them made out of limbs, slabs cut from trees, old boards with a couple of nails driven in the end, ax handles, a jeep fender, a Dodge Power Wagon fender ...anything really that you could grab quick and poke into a tree. They're not as good as a purpose made 'board but they'll work in a pinch.

On the big Redwoods we'd often build an entire scaffolding system, crude but effective, from springboards and cross planks that we free handed. On smaller trees a springboard, or a pair of them, was all that was needed.

Do a search on YouTube...there's better videos on there than my explanation.

thanks for the information bob. i guess if you were taking down a huge tree you would need i decent crew to bring all that geaqr to the tree.

How long have hydraulic jacks been in use? i cant imagine lugging a big saw (or two), springboards, silveys, fuel,other misc. gear into the deep woods.

Let's say a line-ground unit was 16 sets wide, and 1,100 feet deep. A set is around 120' wide -- so that's 16 x 120. That'd be 640 yards in length.

So, again, lets say a cutter can do 1.25 sets a day -- he'd be there sawing for 13 or so days. On such semi-short (depending on the yarder's capabilities) units, 13 days is plenty long enough to know what is in there. Most cutters walk their stuff before hand, and get an idea of how they're going to lay it down. So you'd see the ones you'd have to jack or pull (once the yard's there, the rigging crew can do one or two).

You'd know when you'd have to pack in yer jacks, or a board, or whatever.

On the bigger shows, where you might not be able to walk it out -- a lot of guys will 'stash' gear the whole time they're cutting that job. Trying to keep it central enough where it's not a 40 minute hike for a new bar or something.

Most jobs these days, in the lower 48 anyway, you'll be close enough to the landing, or your crummy to just hike up or down and grab what you need.

Bob, out fer delivery!! :clap:

Let me know how their tan turned out. . . Wouldn't want them too brown. :msp_rolleyes:

:laugh:

Latest posts

Back