Hi kids :-)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my bike. A Cogburn CB4 Shimano . in Realtree Snow camo. size L/XL.
Since I never use my old International dump truck, I sold it and bought a fat bike. Since I started riding these fat bikes my knees feel and work so much better. Some how Ill figure out how to take and upload a vid so Jon will be able to see me . :)

I saw a fat bike just recently. The tires & rims I noticed immediately. Back when was a serious rider the beefiest wheels tou could get where called double wides made by sun rims. 26"x2.75 or 80 in front &a 24x3 in back of a Santa Cruz super 8. 8.75 of travel out back & the boxxer was like 7.5. Ive still got the bike minus front brake rotor & assembly, bottom bracket & crank arms gonna put a new fork & rear shock on it one day and go see if i can still huck myself off of small cliffs and navigate narrow catwalks just high enough in the air so you hurt yourself if you fall off. With the 24" in the back i could manual that bike as long as there was a hill to pull me. A manual is a wheelie sans brakes and pedal power. Just chllin on the back tire doin about 30mph. Those big wheels & tires made it easy if you got the front spinning before you put it in the air. Gyro effect.. anyhow, how stout are the wheels on those fat bikes? I punished he **** out of those doublewides and never even had to true one up. Popped tubes from casing rocks, stairs/curbs, rim still fine. I need to get back into what we called freeriding. Go find a good long double set of stairs, gap the first set & the landing and land on the second set. Roofs to downslopes. Walls. 18 wheeler trailers to downslopes. Id probably break my leg in 20 minutes if I tried any of that now..

I think you would find the fat bike wheels too light for free ride or downhill. Some of them have holes through the wheel on the spoke side to save weight I suppose.

I was suspect that that would be the case. Its certainly not a freeride rig. Back when i rode it was kool to be up to date on the latest & gratest. That bike was almost 5,000 back in 01. I thought that was insane, but i was fine with delegating every penny I got towards it. I got help... bikes are twice if not more than what they where back then. Cross country bikes that are like 9000 bucks. Is it REALLY that much better than an old trek 8000? I mean if it has breaks air in the tires and the derIlers are on point, the rest is kind of up to the rider. Same with road bikes. Downhill & freeride actually require some beef. You're just paying for weight loss & arrowdynamics with the others. I rode a friends brandnew cross country type freeride cross and his almost brand new scott road bike last year, and they felt like the bikes i rode 10 years ago...

I've always thought pedal bikes were expensive, but was never heavy into the sport. If I'm laying out that kind of money for a bike, you can bet it will have an engine.

The new suspension technology might be light years ahead of what you rode around 2000?

The geometry on that thing was impressive. Most DH bikes feel like your constantly pedaling around in some sand. Ill definately upgrade the shocks tohigh. The boxxer, i let a friend rebuild it and he did something to it it has no rebound dampening any more and bottoms out with a clank. If it didnt do that id run ir. Good good triple crown forks foe their day

I have Roling Daryl , non holed rims on my cogburn. My wife's Boris has 32 hole factory rims. the thing about the cost of bikes is more about shaving weight and things that aee for play. . If heavy duty cargo bikes were available with 5" tires I probably got one of them . Even if it took 4" tires. Surly, reccomends against doing much jumping on the Rollin Daryls. they aee 82 mm . Im hoping someone comes out with a 6" bike this year. they would need to come up with a 150 mm bottom bracket and 240ish mm hubs. But . it would b doable.

IMG_20150826_161428.jpg My wife on her Boris. That would make for a great off highway freight bike. !! as we have at least half the year with snow on the ground , riding on snow is where its at for a bike for me . I can go up to about 4.3" wide rear tire wider in front ofcourse.
The price has come down on front suspension fattys. with the Bluto fork. . I need front rack capability so I dont do front suspension. But, a full suspension fatty would be a fun ride. Lots of $$$$ tho. My Cogburn was 1900$ so thats about as high dollar as I want to go.

Ya . Thank you ! . I put studded tiresfront and rear on both our fattys. I wasnt satisfied with the studs being long enough on the rear of my wife's Botis . So I took one of the Nate's from my bike and put about 300 3/8" steel framing screws thru the knobs and basically turned it into a corked tire. ( similar to a " corked boot " ) . I covered all the screw heads with silicon sealant and put the tube back in aired it up to 20 psi and bounced it around . Then put it on the bike and dropped the pressure to around 10 psi. . Lets put it this way. She aint wiping out because There isnt enough steel on the ice . :) . I put a Dillinger 5 on her fork and put a set of studded Vee Snowshoes XL on my bike. . Ive hot $850.00 in studded tires on our bikes now.

Latest posts

Back