high temp wall liner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a small insulated shop that I would like to heat with wood occasionally. I also have an old unused Thermo-Control woodburner in good condition sitting around doing nothing. Not wanting to lose shop space, I was kicking around the idea of adding a little shack onto the side of my shop to put the TC in with no wall or door between them. Is there a high temp wallboard available to line the small room with? There will only be a foot or two of clearance and the walls will get awfully hot.

Since the shop will only be heated occasionally, do I need to invest in an insulated SS chimney, or would I get by with uninsulated stovepipe? Probably not, but maybe you people know of a good way to do it. Thank you for your time.

What I would do is put a layer of concrete based tileboard on the studs and then attach steel barn siding with some 1" spacers over the tileboard. This will make a shielded, non combustible wall surface I would make sure that the clearance listed for your stove "to a protected surface" and "alcove installation" is followed. I would use insulated chimney to go through the wall/roof and make sure it is high enough that you get a good draft.

What I would do is put a layer of concrete based tileboard on the studs and then attach steel barn siding with some 1" spacers over the tileboard. This will make a shielded, non combustible wall surface I would make sure that the clearance listed for your stove "to a protected surface" and "alcove installation" is followed. I would use insulated chimney to go through the wall/roof and make sure it is high enough that you get a good draft.

Yup...cementboard is your friend here and spacers. 1+

On my old stove set-up I cut copper pipe into spacers, say, an inch and a half long each. Then screwed cement board to the wall with the spacers behind it, driving the screw through the center of the copper spacers to hold them in place. Wasn't pretty, but did the trick.

Latest posts

Back