Hinge question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your back cut should be above the notch.
I think the video you're talking about has the bore cut ? That bore would be above the notch right where a normal back cut would end. Then the holding strap on the back of the tree gets cut above or below the bore cut to release the tree.
Now we're way off topic, though.

It's your thread do as you please.:msp_smile:

Your back cut should be above the notch.
I think the video you're talking about has the bore cut ? That bore would be above the notch right where a normal back cut would end. Then the holding strap on the back of the tree gets cut above or below the bore cut to release the tree.
Now we're way off topic, though.
I was refering to the pines in the back yard.
If there was any boring going on I missed it.

I was being kind as I don't always agree with his techniques, but he is an arborist not a faller. If I had to guess a certified arborist knows quite a bit more about trees than you do.

Just sayin. .

If it came to passing a test in a class room perhaps. If it was about knowing the wood & how it acts, perhaps not. .

Swinging a tree like you described is much more involved than simply tapering the holding wood, correct?

Not necessarily. Lots of trees that don't land exactly where they are "supposed" to simply tip before the hinge is cut fully, then the top is steered a bit off before falling. Nothing is more important than a good plan! Nobody is bigger than Gravity!

Back