Hit by tornado

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob1276

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Tornado hit where I live it missed my home by a half mile it was coming head on then shifted destruction everywhere none of these pictures are my house by the way a half mile is in my opinion to close when it comes to a tornado I'll post more pics when I can

Glad you came through OK. I am sitting here with 72* heat watching TV while some of you neighbors are experiencing maybe the worst week of their life. Sometimes you just need to step back and smell the roses! My thoughts are with the people in your area and hoping that you can get back on your feet as soon as possible.

It really a eye opener I was away from my family I work in ems and was listening to it all on the fire radio I knew it was coming It a horrible feeling trust me that is a dump truck in one pic sad part is I'm sitting in my home with a warm fire and barely a half mile away people have no homes makes you feel fortunate and guilty both

I found a whole room carpet and 1\2 of a canopy off of a Kubota and tin and insulation in my hay field, 5+ miles away was the closest touchdown that i know of.

Glad you came through OK. I am sitting here with 72* heat watching TV while some of you neighbors are experiencing maybe the worst week of their life. Sometimes you just need to step back and smell the roses! My thoughts are with the people in your area and hoping that you can get back on your feet as soon as possible.

Don't mean to be rude, but why are you sitting back smelling the roses when your own neighbors are in trouble? Get off yer duff and go help! :rock: That's what being a man is all about. I drove 4 hours on Thursday just for the privelege of helping out people I didn't even know. I wish I lived as close as you to the damage, for then I'd be out there from dawn to dark, burning fuel and throwing chips, and I guarantee you that Avalancher is doing that right now. I look forward to hearing how much fuel he burned this time.

Don't mean to be rude, but why are you sitting back smelling the roses when your own neighbors are in trouble? Get off yer duff and go help! :rock: That's what being a man is all about. I drove 4 hours on Thursday just for the privelege of helping out people I didn't even know. I wish I lived as close as you to the damage, for then I'd be out there from dawn to dark, burning fuel and throwing chips, and I guarantee you that Avalancher is doing that right now. I look forward to hearing how much fuel he burned this time.

Agreed. Alot of good folks needing a hand right now.

Don't mean to call you a #### but I am. If you would take the time to read my post I am certainly not setting at home gloating because the people down south had a tornado. Some times when bad things happen to other people you know in the back of your mind it could have easily been been you dealing with that kind of turmoil. By some stroke of luck it did not happen to you so count your blessings and think of the people that were not quite so fortunate. Did you ever think that even if I could that there may be obligations that would prevent me from just dropping everything and heading down from North Central Iowa to help. Judging by your dumb a$$ post I am going to go out on a limb and say no. Most things I can take with a grain of salt on this board but your comments IMHO were way out of line. I am sorry if I was out of line hoping those affected could find the strength and courage to pick themselves up and do and make the best with the hand that was dealt to them. Finally I always read your post and thought of you as a stand up guy, not anymore.

Hey you nozzle I've been out all day yesterday and last night and today I've not been in my duff dumb #### and I could care less about throwing Chips right now when people are hurt and for your info wise ass there are scavengers out everywhere looking for houses that have now signs of any one home so they can steal you blind there are wires down everywhere it not safe at night you can see it cold I just ate for the first time in two days and had a shower only a idiot fool would want to wish they was close to something like this Your a complete moron don't tell me about being a man you don't have a set half the size of mine going through wreckage with live wires down looking for people. I could really care less about cutting wood it obvious people like you have don't have a clue. Want to be a man try holding back tears when you have a 4 year old screaming in pain because his femur broken and you have to move him. You sir can kiss my ass and for that matter anyone else can too I'm doing my part and I don't care if you throw me off this forum with ass clowns like you here it may be best

Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes - to assume that these guys are doing nothing is pretty shallow,

For the record you asswipes when all of this was happening and I was away from my family who was in danger I was carrying a dying women out if her home to get her to the hospital soayne her family could have some peace with her before she passed all this while the wind and lighting all around be a man don't tell me be a man when you aren't

Don't mean to call you a #### but I am. If you would take the time to read my post I am certainly not setting at home gloating because the people down south had a tornado. Some times when bad things happen to other people you know in the back of your mind it could have easily been been you dealing with that kind of turmoil. By some stroke of luck it did not happen to you so count your blessings and think of the people that were not quite so fortunate. Did you ever think that even if I could that there may be obligations that would prevent me from just dropping everything and heading down from North Central Iowa to help. Judging by your dumb a$$ post I am going to go out on a limb and say no. Most things I can take with a grain of salt on this board but your comments IMHO were way out of line. I am sorry if I was out of line hoping those affected could find the strength and courage to pick themselves up and do and make the best with the hand that was dealt to them. Finally I always read your post and thought of you as a stand up guy, not anymore.

It's idiots like him that are like the ones I seen today loading scrap metal into there trucks and wood from the side of the road for their benefit not anyone else's he don't mean helping others he means help himself Thank you for having some common sense

Thoughts and prayers to the people in the path.

My sisters house that we helped them build got hit about 18 years ago in Northern Indiana. We spent a lot of time up there trying to help them get back. High emotions/stress go with this as it's so overwhelming. In there area, one of the neighbors emptied out a barn and everyone brought stuff there for people to reclaim. Those pictures and heirlooms mean more than anything to get back.

You just can't imagine the power of these till you see the effects in person. My sisters yard had half a pole barn roof from a neighbors place a 1/2 mile away. When they started pulling them out some were stuck in over 8 ft deep! There soil is a little sandy but still, 8 feet.

In contrast, I was walking with my sister in a field behind their place about a mile away the day after. No one had been where we were and we came across our great grandmothers cut crystal dish sitting upright. Here is where it gets weird. The lid was in place and there wasn't a single chip on it. How something like that can happen boggles the mind.

Those people you helped will NOT forget and means everything now. I remember the faces of people in the effected area when we started helping others. The outpouring of help in their case was amazing but it takes a long time if you ever can get back to normal. Again, thoughts are with you.

First of all I'd like to apologize for my comments. As blackdogon57 said, I shouldn't have judged anyone without knowing the facts, and I certainly don't know. I guess I took a bit of umbrage at Dogsout's comments about 'smelling the roses' while his 'neighbors' were suffering. Yes I did read your post carefully, and it sure sounded like you were being pretty heartless, but as you say, I don't know your situation, so I'm sorry for offending you.

The problem with text is that you can't really tell the tone of what someone is trying to communicate, and I was trying to be more encouraging rather than scolding or judgmental. Obviously it didn't come out the way I intended, so I apologize for that as well.

As for my own comments about "throwing chips" - I wasn't at all referring to gathering firewood for myself, but about helping people get the trees off their houses, cars and property. I signed up as a volunteer helper rather than as a business wanting to get paid from the Government for my assistance. I spent only a day in Harrisburg, 8 hours working, 1 hour waiting, and 4 hours driving. I didn't eat much either, and took home not so much as a scrap of firewood (or scrap metal either, for that matter). I seriously considered spending 2-3 days there, but since I live so far away, I wasn't able to do that.

For Rob1276, I don't know why you're so upset with me. I made no comments to you. I certainly applaud you for your work and help, and you're right - I'm not one to go among live powerlines, unless there was someone trapped needing help.

Again I apologize for my comments and I sincerely hope you all can forgive me.

If I'm a douche for feeling that every able-bodied American, within a reasonable drive to the tornado devastated areas, should be out helping their fellow Amercans...... then so be it. I'm a douche. And I'm not talking about doing it 'on the clock'.

My area has been spared this latest outbreak of tornadoes. But the saw is always gassed up, and I'll do what I can when it needs to be done. I'll gather the firewood later. UM, I'm with you in helping people, and Dug, I know that you have to keep up the homefront. As long as we do for others to the best of our ability, we will do alright.

First of all I'd like to apologize for my comments. As blackdogon57 said, I shouldn't have judged anyone without knowing the facts, and I certainly don't know. I guess I took a bit of umbrage at Dogsout's comments about 'smelling the roses' while his 'neighbors' were suffering. Yes I did read your post carefully, and it sure sounded like you were being pretty heartless, but as you say, I don't know your situation, so I'm sorry for offending you.

The problem with text is that you can't really tell the tone of what someone is trying to communicate, and I was trying to be more encouraging rather than scolding or judgmental. Obviously it didn't come out the way I intended, so I apologize for that as well.

As for my own comments about "throwing chips" - I wasn't at all referring to gathering firewood for myself, but about helping people get the trees off their houses, cars and property. I signed up as a volunteer helper rather than as a business wanting to get paid from the Government for my assistance. I spent only a day in Harrisburg, 8 hours working, 1 hour waiting, and 4 hours driving. I didn't eat much either, and took home not so much as a scrap of firewood (or scrap metal either, for that matter). I seriously considered spending 2-3 days there, but since I live so far away, I wasn't able to do that.

For Rob1276, I don't know why you're so upset with me. I made no comments to you. I certainly applaud you for your work and help, and you're right - I'm not one to go among live powerlines, unless there was someone trapped needing help.

Again I apologize for my comments and I sincerely hope you all can forgive me.

Your fine guy I was a little out of line myself I was tired and not thinking clearly normally I would have not said a word I apologize for my words

This thing has me scared I wish I could show on a map and show just how lucky I was if it continued its same course my home would have been hit it shifted at some point and best I can figure it was still close by any terms but within a half mile of my house honestly I don't know what it will be like for my family and all of us here when a storm is coming

I've always had a agreement with my neighbors who are up in years and live in mobile homes to come to my house when a storm is coming I find now I am even more worried about them now since this has happened what will they do if they can't make it here. Luckily my basement was a full house so I'm told

A elderly couple who was in there basement was killed it hit there house when it was at its peak strength it was a finished basement it even sucked the carpet off the basement floor yet they had a swimming pool and it left it and the cover on the pool

The pic of the dump truck I have posted shows where the truck landed about 400 yards from the road it was on it killed the driver they found him in the field he drove right into it had no chance

I will post more later it time to get back out there

If I'm a douche for feeling that every able-bodied American, within a reasonable drive to the tornado devastated areas, should be out helping their fellow Amercans...... then so be it. I'm a douche. And I'm not talking about doing it 'on the clock'.

Haven't been in the clock for a while hoss I was Friday but I was already working when it hit I'm not going back to clock out I can tell you that and I don't care about the pay they can have it I'll give it back

I wish I lived as close as you to the damage, for then I'd be out there from dawn to dark, burning fuel and throwing chips, and I guarantee you that Avalancher is doing that right now. I look forward to hearing how much fuel he burned this time.

Well I guess it is all directed at me then? Did you take note where I live. To say the above quote was not directed at Rob is a flat out lie! If I should report from Northern Iowa to assist where possible, then you are questioning a lot more board members manhood, as I am sure there are a bunch between me and the affected area. I will give you that my choice of words possibly could have been better but I think the intent was clear. I still stand by my original statement that BAD things happen to people all of the time, "Smell The Roses" during the good times as they may not be there tomorrow through no fault of our own. There are a bunch of us not in the AFFECTED area that need to do just that. You question a persons manhood up in my neck of the woods you better have that moustache glued on pretty tight because better then even odds that someone will give their best shot to remove it. Finally I stand by my original comments, the OP was not offended and if you were so be it. With all of the really nice members on this board I have officially made you the second member of my board members AHOLE club. (badge and sticker are in the mail)

I think everybody needs to understand the stress and incredible emotions involved in this time of pain. Things are said that come from frayed nerves and exhausted bodies and minds. So take it as such and help if you can, if not, believe me, you time will come when you can. Two tornado's hit us here last year. So I know frayed nerves and the smell of death can really get to ya.

Latest posts

Back