Hitchclimber extension??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjo75

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all. I've recently changed my climb system to the Hitchclimber system. Hitchclimber pulley and 30" Bee Line, 10mm.

I do a lot of body thrusting. I have the Pantin and Croll knee ascender for rope walking. It's just faster for me to body thrust. I have tried the floating prusik where you run your climb line through the biner at the bridge and back to the bottom of the Hitchclimber pulley. Then you have to have a prusik cord and micro pulley for tending. That works good.

I have been just adding an extension to my Hitchclimber by placing an extra Bee Line doubled up on another biner between my rope bridge and the bottom biner of the Hitchclimber. That extends my Hitchclimber out away from my rope bridge another 15". Plenty enough room for body thrusting. When I get where I'm going and after safely tying in with a lanyard, I simply take the Bee Line and biner out and attach the Hitchclimber back down directly to my rope bridge.

I've not seen this done. I know I didn't invent anything. But is there a reason I shouldn't be doing this? The only thing I see is the Bee Line bends sharply over the biner. The Bee Line I use is rated at 10,350 lbs. Then I double it. That would be 20,700 lbs. I know it will weaken it at the bend. Possibly add a roller to the biner to decrease the bend? How about just using a rated sling the right length? I just so happened to have an extra Bee Line hanging from my belt. That's why I used it.

This system works well for me and I can't see a downside to it. If I'm missing something please let me have it. I'm open to any and all advice and suggestions. Thanks, Ben.

Watch the Hitch Climber's Guide to the Canopy video series on Youtube for the different positioning modes. You might want to try the floating prusik. You can also use a longer bridge. Petzl makes the new adjustable bridge for their Seqouia harness. I have my rope bridge long enough that I can body thrust and not need to change hitch positions to reach the hitch.

I just use a loop runner / webbing sling. The CMI heavy duty ones...
The small radius of a 'biner isn't going to bother one of these, much.

Back