hitting metal in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, it's just something that comes with the work. Ya win some, ya lose some. Charging extra for cement might not be a bad idea though. Hey tom, do you ask your customers about concrete in the tree during the bid or do you just have that written in each contract?

If it looks like a fence was or is attached to the trunk of a tree that is being removed. I charge for the TD and add 1 brand new chain, and 1/2 hr to sharpen the old chain on site. Might push through a nail or two. Then, you might hit it good and miss it all. However, I hit a rail road spike in a maple that cost me three chains. That time I was beat for the $ cause there was no sign of metal. I do not have a standing clause for hitting metal, only if it was a verbal agreement at the bidding.

LT...

If there is or was a fence or other metal I can see and we're going to be cutting in that area, I'll work the cost of a chain and some extra filing into the bid. If I know there's cement, it's a game changer (I think there was another thread on cement a while back). I have found cement, backed off, explained the situation to the homeowner and gone at it other ways, with the extra cost passed along to the HO. Never been a problem.

:cheers:

I'll usually ask the HO if they know of any metal in the tree. As for concrete, i'll take the tree down to about where the concrete starts for a normal price. The price for flush cutting the rest or the tree and/or grinding out the stump depends on how bad it gets. I'll tell them "normally it would cost this ......, but it may cost this ....., and this is only an estimate, not a quote."

Latest posts

Back