HL carb kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help, I need a kit for this Tilly HL83-A carb.

Stopped by a dealer today and he looked at me like I had 3 heads or something. I said never mind I'll find out and have you order it.

Anyway, I checked the Tilly sited and downloaded the carb kit file, only to find it is in Microsoft Excel format and I can't open it. Downloaded the 74mg Excel viewer only to find out that the HL83-A carb is not listed.

Anyone know which RK (full repair kit) is needed for this old of a carb?

Oh and it's on this Mono/Wards saw I got yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

Look your saw up at Mike Acres site, it may show the kit number you need.
It's listed for some saws and not others maybe you'll get lucky.
I've gotten a few kits from the numbers there.............454

Unless the mixture needles are damaged, you should be able to get by with just a diaphram and gasket kit. Look for Winderosa brand, they are top quality. I would name a kart supply catalog to get good ones from (not winderosa, but good too), but I don't want to break any rules of the forum. Snowmobile supply catalogs sell them too. I've not checked with any AS sponsors. Don't waste your money on any of the tiawan made repair kits, they are junk. You are better off using used parts.
Scott

No this things leaking out on the floor from the air cleaner neck, I want to do the needle and seat also.

The Tilly list has several full repair kits listed, like 5 or 6 for the HL series.

Mark, one of our sponsors, Lawnmower Tech [ Calvin ] has the full kits, they are original Tillotson kits with needle and seats. I personally use them and they are first rate. Check out CM Small Engines, his prices are good as well.
Pioneerguy600

Unless the mixture needles are damaged, you should be able to get by with just a diaphram and gasket kit. Look for Winderosa brand, they are top quality. I would name a kart supply catalog to get good ones from (not winderosa, but good too), but I don't want to break any rules of the forum. Snowmobile supply catalogs sell them too. I've not checked with any AS sponsors. Don't waste your money on any of the tiawan made repair kits, they are junk. You are better off using used parts.
Scott

Yup....Winderosa and the place in PA make top notch stuff..... a lot of the OEM kits are now getting pretty dicey....wrong diaphragms....mis punches......

"Some or all of the parts in this package MAY be made in USA, Japan, or Mexico"

And then they may not.......

They neglect to mention Taiwan Philippians or Haiti for some reason.....

When you get the kit and see what is in it for parts.......post again.

This kit is a universal and you need to make it work.

tillotson dont show a HL 83 A however they do show a HS83 A as well as a HU83A also they show im starting to think its very likely this one is going to be one of the special made carbs that tillotson made for mont wards just like walbro and zama make special carbs for stihl that can only be purchased thru the dealers of that brand

i am thinking more on that line cause if it was a carb that was available anywhere they would have it listed on there site but this one is not listed for some reason i notice the HL series start at 108 and go to 386 and stops its possible that this carb was like some of the ones that Homelite had that is not even listed on tillotsons site

so its possible this may be a special carb built for that manufacture mont wards

calvin

There is only one kit for the old HLs..

You have it....RK 88 HL

thanks if that is the one i have about 12 in stock everytime someone orders one i take and order 2 from the distributor

that way i never run out

cause i normally ship them the same day if it falls between working hrs on the east coast

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is the only one they offer now

The needle and seat fit.....the lever may be different...most likely is

thanks for the order mark instead of first class i went ahead and shipped it priority did not change the price any either so its on the way to you

now comes the test to see how long it takes to get to your place

Mark, Thats the kit i use on all my old
HL carbs. The RK-88-HL kit
You should be good to go with that kit.
And they can be bought almost anywhere.
I prefer to use genuine Tilly kits.

Lee

When you get the kit and see what is in it for parts.......post again.

This kit is a universal and you need to make it work.

I don't know about universal, but the RK88HL kit fit like a glove. All the parts I needed and everything fit right.

I'm glad I didn't settle for the diaphram and gasket kit, I for sure needed the needle and seat along with the welch plug.

This carb had a plastic needle in it, I have never seen them work very well. I'm sure it was replaced at some point as I doubt it was original in 1959.:)

Started on the 3 pull after the carb rebuild, even with both screw set 1 1/2 turns out.

Now I need to figure out whats wrong with the clutch as it keeps spinning at idle.

Thanks Calvin, for shipping this right out!

I don't know about universal, but the RK88HL kit fit like a glove. All the parts I needed and everything fit right.

I'm glad I didn't settle for the diaphram and gasket kit, I for sure needed the needle and seat along with the welch plug.

This carb had a plastic needle in it, I have never seen them work very well. I'm sure it was replaced at some point as I doubt it was original in 1959.:)

Started on the 3 pull after the carb rebuild, even with both screw set 1 1/2 turns out.

Now I need to figure out whats wrong with the clutch as it keeps spinning at idle.

Thanks Calvin, for shipping this right out!
does it have shoes ?

or is it one complete solid clutch ?

since i am not familiar with mont wards saws

actually never seen one before

is it a mcculloch style saw or poulan ?

your welcome on the kit like i say when i get orders i ship them as soon as possible

but right now its slowed down to a crawl

Back