Home made throw ball cannon!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS Tree Service

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here but wanted to share something cool with everyone. I own and run a small tree service and I was looking for a better way to set my our lines in the trees to better heights and be more accurate and most of all save time.

I saw they sell air cannons on some tree sites for a pretty penny so I just made my own. I got to say I'm pretty blown away how good it actually works lol. It only cost me about $50 to make and now it takes me only minutes to set my lines even in the highest trees. I got everything I needed at the local department stores. I just use a bike pump and it takes about 30 seconds and it's ready to go.

So anyways, if you were planning on spending hundreds for them online, you may want to think about making your own. If anyone is interested, I will post some pics or videos if I can figure it out.

I'll make a video this week. I don't have one of it yet. But I think you will be impressed. It's pretty cool. The picture is from when I just made it. I may paint it now that I know it works so well.

You're doing a very dangerous thing my friend.

My worst nightmare's someone gettin killed or mangled copyin my stuff without a thorough understanding of the dangers involved?

People get hurt from improper use or maintenance of bigshots for heaven's sake!

jomoco

I do appreciate and understand your concern jomoco. I don't mean to step on any toes.

I guess I should have made it more clear that I did my research on the material's and I am sure not to exceed manufacturer psi ratings

I had a customer a few years back that wanted to entertain the idea of setting my throw-ball with a 'tater-gun....
He was a educated fellow that was on the ski team from my area(UT) and had the money ...so I had a few laughs at his expense after I made sure to drag my ball through the wet grass to ensure it didn't get scorched in his attempts. Lol.

How can I transfer this vid. From my Android to here easily so you can laugh at my helper and client?

You're doing a very dangerous thing my friend.

My worst nightmare's someone gettin killed or mangled copyin my stuff without a thorough understanding of the dangers involved?

People get hurt from improper use or maintenance of bigshots for heaven's sake!

jomoco

Ive read some horror stories of the big shot it seems it can be quite dangerous for some. read of a guy getting caught under the chin and loosing some teeth.

I do appreciate and understand your concern jomoco. I don't mean to step on any toes.

I guess I should have made it more clear that I did my research on the material's and I am sure not to exceed manufacturer psi ratings
So you used PVC rated for pressurized air? And they had that at the local hardware store. That is unusual.

I agree Aldegar. I have one that I made. Big Shot is much easier to use.
I couldn't live without my big shot now been using one since they came out. I get the best tie in from the ground without wanting to pull my hair out from a bad throw. I rarely need two shots anymore

So you used PVC rated for pressurized air? And they had that at the local hardware store. That is unusual.
Yeah. The stuff I got is rated at 350 psi. I looked online and mbs is just over 1000psi. They print it right on the pipe.

I have not had the chance to try the big shot yet so I don't know how it would compare to this. I just know this works really well. All in all it takes about 45 seconds to 60 seconds to make a shot which to me is pretty good. Beats spending lots of time throwing.
The only complaint I would have is finding a bike pump that can hold up to the use.

Yeah. The stuff I got is rated at 350 psi. I looked online and mbs is just over 1000psi. They print it right on the pipe.
Not pneumatic pressure, that rating is for hydraulic pressure. Two completely different animals. Pneumatic pressure can be some dangerous stuff.

Not pneumatic pressure, that rating is for hydraulic pressure. Two completely different animals. Pneumatic pressure can be some dangerous stuff.
Really? This may be a dumb question but how is it any different?

I have not had the chance to try the big shot yet so I don't know how it would compare to this. I just know this works really well. All in all it takes about 45 seconds to 60 seconds to make a shot which to me is pretty good. Beats spending lots of time throwing.
The only complaint I would have is finding a bike pump that can hold up to the use.

The launches are cool and maybe pretty acurate but the big shot can't be beat don't need a pump just poles everyone already has on a tree truck and the head. You'll be setting lines at 100ft if wanted no problem.

I was gonna get the air cannon from treestuff.com but the big shot Is just so spot on it would be extra work to use it.

Latest posts

Back