Homelite XL-12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got back in, i managed to find another of the clutch pad which i think is the last one, i still cant find the 2 springs for it tho :(. any idea where i could get these new or 2nd hand?

well im going along to the local chainsaw repair shop on monday, i think they specialize in husky and sthil but im sure they should be able to sort me out with something.

i just had a look at my dads saw and its a jonsered 525, are they any good?

I LOVE mine. It's slowly taking the place of the 455 and 025. I can see a day when I just replace them with more of the '60's gen Homey's. Wouldn't trade mine for a brand new Stihl or Husky. Go onto Fleabay and search Homelite XL-12 you'll get probably about 1500+ hits, parts are everywhere. Also if your cutting in a "flammable" area note there is no spark arrestor, I have seen mine blowing sparks out of the muffler when it's dusk time. I'm trying to figure out a way to put an arrestor on it without possibly sucking it back into the cylinder. Happy cutting, your gonna love it!

well ive had a good look about this fourm and there is nothing but good feedback on them, although i was quite concerned when i took the starter cover off and there wasnt any screws that were in the way until i got the big spanner and gave it a twist and it turned over.

my dad was amazed to see it running after telling me it was going to be impossible to get it running again, but he still hasnt gave me my money lol.

im running it rich with a good bit of 2 stroke oil for the time being just to make sure its all lubed up properly after being idle for god knows how long.

at the end of the day i bought it for £5 as it looked good and my dad said that the last time he seen one was 40 years ago so i thought it would be interesting to see if i could get it runnning, but now its looking like its going to get used as a firewood saw due to the jonsered not running right.

I still run mine at 32:1 with synthetic oil, they claim you can go to 50:1 or higher but I'm not going to guinea pig the Homey, I dump whatever I have into the other tho.

Last edited:
man your site is just amazing, ive been looking for something like that for the whole day lol, how many of them shoes are meant to be in the clutch assembly?

the reason im asking is because when i took it apart earlier there was 3 in it but looking at it again there is room for 6, there is no evidence of there being 6 at anytime in the past either but its just something i would like to know for when i rebuild it.

i might buy a couple of them round springs that hold them in if the local shop doesnt sell them.

man your site is just amazing, ive been looking for something like that for the whole day lol, how many of them shoes are meant to be in the clutch assembly?

the reason im asking is because when i took it apart earlier there was 3 in it but looking at it again there is room for 6, there is no evidence of there being 6 at anytime in the past either but its just something i would like to know for when i rebuild it.

i might buy a couple of them round springs that hold them in if the local shop doesnt sell them.

It would have come stock with 3, but it uses the same clutch setup as an XL-15, which was a gear drive, and because of the gear drive's much higher torque it used 6 shoes.

Latest posts

Back