Honda knockoff engines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anybody around here ever used one of these Honda knockoff engines for a splitter or anything else. Just curious what kind of luck anyone has had with them. I know Honda makes a great engine and I'd like to have one on my next splitter, but one of the knockoffs at around $250 fits into my budget a lot better than a Honda at $650-$700. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Has anybody around here ever used one of these Honda knockoff engines for a splitter or anything else. Just curious what kind of luck anyone has had with them. I know Honda makes a great engine and I'd like to have one on my next splitter, but one of the knockoffs at around $250 fits into my budget a lot better than a Honda at $650-$700. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

I know a farmer that has serveral of the Harbour Frieght 5hp knock offs that are something like $100-130 depending on the sale and they have worked for years. He loaned me a garden tiller with one on it and it started and ran great. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Sam

I was looking at either a 9 HP or an 11 HP, only about $20 price difference on the knockoffs. At about 1/3 the price of the Honda engine, I'd really like to try one, I just hope it'll be reliable for me in the long run.

I also have a farmer friend who has two of them. They are great engines and he loves them. One is on a grain auger and the other is on a plate compactor. They start great and he loves them. I am actually getting ready to purchase a 13hp w/ electric start from maxtool for a log splitter i am building.

On both of his the choke is backwards from what the sticker shows. He was told that they are made in the same factory as Hondas, but I have no idea if this is true or not. Anybody else heard that????

As bad as I hate to support China, I have one on my splitter. It's split about 18 full cords this year, and seems to be reliable so far. At $130 I can't afford to do much to repair it if it does break down, but Honda parts will enterchange.
I bought a Brigg's a few years ago, it was made in China too (or maybe it was Tiawan). It's all being made in China, might as well save a few bucks.

Andy

I put an 13 horse on my old Bolens 1050.

It runs like a champ, the only prob after 6 years was the plastic fuel nipple came out of the tank.

Easy fix, oh yeah, one other thing, couple of years ago it got super hard to start, and I broke a pull cord. It just needed the vavles adjusted, no problems for the last 2 years.

Starts in 2 pulls every time (even well below freezing)

Last edited:
I had a POS Briggs on my splitter that gave up the ghost. Harbor Freight had one on sale for $120.00. I researched the net and found that a lot of go-cart racers used this engine. It came with a year warranty so I bought one, no problems so far and its starts like a Honda, one or two pulls.

This little engine has already paid for its self and sips fuel. I like the fact that my whole engine cost less than a carb on the Honda and if it blows tomorrow I would buy another.

I had a POS Briggs on my splitter that gave up the ghost. Harbor Freight had one on sale for $120.00. I researched the net and found that a lot of go-cart racers used this engine. It came with a year warranty so I bought one, no problems so far and its starts like a Honda, one or two pulls.

This little engine has already paid for its self and sips fuel. I like the fact that my whole engine cost less than a carb on the Honda and if it blows tomorrow I would buy another.

Yeah mine is real thrifty on gas for a 13 hp.

I do remember one other problem with the engine. It was less than a year old and the choke butterfly stem broke.

Cheap plastic part, I make one from a 10-32 machine screw flattened on one side with 2 tiny 2-40 screws holding the butterfly.

Guess they are OK internally, but they missed some of the quality of a Honda.

I've got one on a water pump thats used all spring and summer, it's a 6 hp.
Was skeptical but the whole unit was on sale for 125.00 compared to a Honda powered unit at 499.99. I though I'd give it a shot as if the motor blew the pump would still be good. This thing has been used for three years without a hitch, sits outside in the weather year round, starts on the first pull. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I have several of them and they have worked well for me. They have some quirks but you can't beat the price. On all of them the muffler nuts backed out in the first day. One burns some oil, but the low oil sensor works! The throttle and governor linkage is a bit light gauge and easy to bend. A kill switch failed on me. A spark plug cap slowly self destructed, replaced it with an OEM Honda cap for $20. The gas caps are finicky and can leak. They are not perfect but I have hundreds of hours on some of them and they start right up.

IMHO they are 2x better than any motor besides the genuine Honda's! I have a clone 6.5 hp that runs for 8-10 hrs a day every day (commercial work truck), and has been doing that for 3 years now. It gets an oil change with synthetic oil twice a year. Still starts every time on the second pull. I think they run much smoother than the B/S and Techumseh motors. Good luck, and you won't regret getting it!

Harbor Freight

Keep a check on HF's sales. They import a Honda clone that is supposed to be a exact copy of a Honda.

I bought a 6hp from HF and installed it on a Troy-Bilt tiller.

Start up just like a Honda for A LOT less $$$.

Tom

Today, between the sale and my 20% off cupon I got the 6.5HP engine for $104! I paid $19.99 for the 2 year waranty and life is good....

Dave
:cheers:

I wish they went up to 20hp twin cylinder models... I think they stop at 13. A 20hp horizontal shaft Honda twin runs about $1300.

Ian

I wish they went up to 20hp twin cylinder models... I think they stop at 13. A 20hp horizontal shaft Honda twin runs about $1300.

Ian

yup but Honda's are well worth the investment. Have you looked at kohler?

Look for a well maintained used.

I use a lot of small engines commercially and would not recommend a Kohler. For a motor that big I would definetly go with a Honda or Kawasaki, perhaps a Briggs (they have gotten much better recently). JME,

I was told if I was to get a Kohler, to make sure it was a "Command" and not a "Courage". Don't know how good that advice was.

Ian

Back