How are the Echo Saws (quality)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rock:

Good info. Just a quick question. Does the CS-400 have two bar nuts? I like the Husqvarna 445 but I think they only have one bar nut and my dad has had trouble with those coming lose. I'm kinda shopping for my first saw. My dad's little Husky is at least 15 years old and he's got a SuperXL that's older than I am. I plan on using wood for heat when I build my own house and will eventually need a new saw, and I'd like to get away with only having one. I wouldn't tackle anything over 2 ft in diameter and I would think most of the stuff I would cut would be under 18". With modding and tuning will the CS-400 handle 18" occasionally?

If not for budget restraints I'd probably start collecting saws. They are pretty cool. I like the Echo CS-500 and the Makita DCS510 but I just don't need them. The Makita is one of the coolest looking saws I've seen. I bet the big companies could charge %20 more for special color editions of their saws.

Sorry to ruin the party, but I do not particularly like my cs330t. The filler necks are too small, and lead to overfills because you can't barely see past the gas/oil can nozzle while filling the tanks. The safety trigger on the top of the handle, was another issue, the wire spring inside of it kept popping off so I finally just taped the thing over. The air cleaner cover also seems to magically move enough that it lets in additional air/dirt in on the underside. It also dies off idle after running it on and off for about an hour or so. I does start reliably though, and is nice and light. I use it for anything 8 inches and under in size, mostly for cutting grape vines off trees in my woodlot. Any ideas on why it dies off idle after running it a while? This problem not present until it gets hot, starts out having off idle lag then proceeds to stalling as soon as you give it throttle. Which way do I turn the low speed screw? I assume its the culprit.

Sorry to ruin the party, but I do not particularly like my cs330t. The filler necks are too small, and lead to overfills because you can't barely see past the gas/oil can nozzle while filling the tanks. The safety trigger on the top of the handle, was another issue, the wire spring inside of it kept popping off so I finally just taped the thing over. The air cleaner cover also seems to magically move enough that it lets in additional air/dirt in on the underside. It also dies off idle after running it on and off for about an hour or so. I does start reliably though, and is nice and light. I use it for anything 8 inches and under in size, mostly for cutting grape vines off trees in my woodlot. Any ideas on why it dies off idle after running it a while? This problem not present until it gets hot, starts out having off idle lag then proceeds to stalling as soon as you give it throttle. Which way do I turn the low speed screw? I assume its the culprit.

Turn the low screw out about 1/4 to 1/3 turn, the filler necks are kinda small and I overfill mine sometimes also but the caps almost always come off without a wrench unless you hosre them tight. Steve

Thanks for the reminder about the caps, another pet peeve, my filler caps seem to over tighten themselves alot. have to use flat screwdriver blade to turn them open more times than not. but they will open by hand right after you secure them after a fill. I guess they put those screwdriver slots in the caps knowing this will happen occasionally. Overall design just not well enough thought out on this little guy. Thanks for the advice on the tuning.

I like them. The echo 450 pound for pound the best saw I've ever run for limbing. Its light, smooth, starts and it cuts. I also have the cs600 its not in the picture, and I like it better than my stihl 036 and its 1.8 cc smaller

I have had nothing but good service from any/all Echo products I have owned. I got 10 years or more of hard use from both my Echo weed eater and lil' Echo chainsaw. I just replaced my old Homelite back pack blower with an Echo.

I use my lil' Echo saw,cs306 w/12" bar, a lot harder than it was probably designed for and just last nite took the screen out of the muffler and "opened up the carb" a bit. I've never tried to mod my equipment, hope it goes well. I'm open to any advise.

I like them. The echo 450 pound for pound the best saw I've ever run for limbing. Its light, smooth, starts and it cuts. I also have the cs600 its not in the picture, and I like it better than my stihl 036 and its 1.8 cc smaller

You'ld really like a muff modded CS400. Steve

Last edited:
Hey mountain lake I love my 400 but for some reason the bar oil pump is squealing when cold any ideas

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Never had any trouble with the oil pump, it's all metal . Are you sure it's the oil pump, try it without the bar and chain, if no help pull the clutch off . Could be some derbis under the clutch or the needle bearing might be dry. Steve

I have started clearing some new land, and have been using both of my saws a lot -- Stihl MS-261 and Echo CS-400. I have ended up reaching for the Echo more often while clearing a tractor path in, and it's been great. Tough little saw and hard working. Good size for saplings up to small trees. Yesterday I had to cut off a 20 year old stump that had a surprising amount of solid holding wood left, and the Echo attacked it like a champ. I have no concerns throwing a tough job at the saw.

I took off the stock 18" low profile bar and safety chain, and now run a smaller 16" ArborMax setup. I think that size bar, and the more aggressive cutters, work better for this particular saw. If I need something bigger, I reach for the MS-261 anyway.

good little saws,, but like it was said,, do a MM on it and take the cat out and then trim the limiters,, i have cut many,,many cords with a 370 and never had any trouble

Squeals at idle. I bought from the box store so even though it's modded I can return

good little saws,, but like it was said,, do a MM on it and take the cat out and then trim the limiters,, i have cut many,,many cords with a 370 and never had any trouble

1st time poster--been reading for awhile. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've had no luck finding an answer with search!!

Will removing the cat converter increase muffler noise level--significantly? I have an Echo 370, and just recently acquired an Echo 346. I mostly use these saws in storm cleanup--working close to others. I also have a couple of Mac PM10-10's--bought one of them new back in the 70's, and the other is very lightly used, bought new by my FIL. The 10-10's cut great but are very loud--I've learned from reading AS that this is very common. The 10-10's are just too loud to be working close to others--I don't want the Echo's to change much but would like to open them up a little. I've already remove the limiter caps.

1st time poster--been reading for awhile. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've had no luck finding an answer with search!!

Will removing the cat converter increase muffler noise level--significantly? I have an Echo 370, and just recently acquired an Echo 346. I mostly use these saws in storm cleanup--working close to others. I also have a couple of Mac PM10-10's--bought one of them new back in the 70's, and the other is very lightly used, bought new by my FIL. The 10-10's cut great but are very loud--I've learned from reading AS that this is very common. The 10-10's are just too loud to be working close to others--I don't want the Echo's to change much but would like to open them up a little. I've already remove the limiter caps.

If done properly, a MM doesn't make it much, if any, louder.

Squeals at idle. I bought from the box store so even though it's modded I can return

After thinking about this for a little bit some times the clutch shoe will hang a bit and just rub the housing a hair, and cause the squeel. If i could hear the squeel i would know, to describe the squeel it, kinda sounds of like a rooster?

Latest posts

Back