How bad is the economy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When was your last saw purchase?

• You plan to purchase a saw in the next 2 months.

Votes: 53 24.7%
  • You do not plan to purchase a saw in the forseeable future.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • You have purchased a saw in the past week.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • You have purchased a saw in the past month.

Votes: 50 23.3%
  • You have purchased a saw in the past 3 months.

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • You have purchased a saw in the past 6 months.

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • You have purchased a saw in the past year.

Votes: 53 24.7%

• Total voters

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just wondering how the economy is affecting the chain saw purchases of fellow CAD afflicted individuals.

Select all that apply.

Last edited:
I was just wondering how the economy is affecting the chain saw purchases of fellow CAD afflicted individuals.

It's like the stock market. So much cheap stuff I can't decide what to buy, so I just stand there like a deer frozen in the headlights. I may cancel my order for the nonexistant Makita refurbs and pick up a John Deere.

I am afraid that the global economy is facing a real deep depression and we haven't seen the end of it. The company I work for is 30% behind budget and people are getting very nervous about their job, including myself.

Saws are a great hobby, but do not rule my entire life. My work and family come first, so that's where my focus is right now. :Eye:

uh oh , did I mention that I will pick up 4 nice collector saws next saturday? :monkey: :monkey:

I am afraid that the global economy is facing a real deep depression and we haven't seen the end of it. The company I work for is 30% behind budget and people are getting very nervous about their job, including myself.

Saws are a great hobby, but do not rule my entire life. My work and family come first, so that's where my focus is right now. :Eye:

uh oh , did I mention that I will pick up 4 nice collector saws next saturday? :monkey: :monkey:

Did you see the BP-1 on Ebay? Supposed to be 2 more going up soon.

I think this is a pretty good thread, may give a feel for what the economy is doing in purchases that we may really not need. I think since gas prices have leveled off, it has helped some, and I still plan to buy several more.

What I see is people wanting to buy saws to help lower their heating costs, but they are looking at saws smaller than they should in order to save some money. Some can be reasoned with and guided toward what they will be happy with, and others will get sticker shock and run to the box store for a Poulan.

The professionals that I deal with are still buying what they need to get the job done and there doesn't seem to be any shortage of work for them at all.

Even in years where the economy has taken a pretty serious dip, I still see people investing in good tools and property improvements, albeit on a slightly smaller scale. There's still fresh construction going on here, not quite like it was two years ago but anyone here with construction skills has all the work they need right now.

High fuel prices are always good for saw sales.
More people are cutting and burning wood so it's good for our bottom line.
People are buying more "firewood cutting" saws over the typical trim and light duty saws.

One trend I did notice this summer was that people were staying home due to high fuel price. And since they were at home a lot of people took on big project like hedge row clearing, and other landscaping and home improvement job.

Last edited:
I still want to be one more saw or two, but I need to sell some unused toys to pay for them.

It's a buyers market right now, but the shame of it is that some people are really hurting and some afraid of their jobs. This time of the year you see people unloading tools and guns, etc because Christmas is coming up.
We all like a good deal, but my heart goes out to some people.

No plans to purchase saws here but, not because of the economy though. We are working 6 and 7 days a week on my job, so it leaves little time to run them. Fortunately here in Arkansas, the job market is still good.

All my saws with the exception of one are all rebuilds that I got cheap, I like the slightly older saws and would'nt buy a new saw even if the economy was great.

I have a friend that works at a Husky/Dolmar dealership and he says they've been selling quite a few saws this fall, and they sold a bunch when that windstorm came through recently.

I've survived a lot of headcount reductions here at Ford. My company employs just over half the number of white-collar workers now as when I joined seven years ago. But I'm not positioned in the company well enough to survive our most-recently announced headcount task (10%), so my ride is likely up at the beginning of next year. (Happy New Year!!)

Free time is now spent preparing for the job market again. I'll not be buying another saw until my employment situation is settled.

Will post inane commentary for food!! :D

In my case it's hard to justify the purchase of a new saw when there is already so much duplication in my inventory...AND new job orders have waned a bit. Better to build the cash pile in case the economy REALLY tanks.

This area is immune somewhat given the U. of I. employs tens of thousands of folks, and there are plenty of retired well-to-do's living here.

However, most of my wealthier clients still mention the economy(& their losses)...But I have'nt seen them cut back on their toys yet.

CAD Über Alles! :greenchainsaw:

Perfect response. I was really moved by the poignant reference to hearth and home before you threw in the zinger about the four collector saws. You should move to the U.S. and run for president.

belgian

My grandfather came over from Belgium about 100 years ago and we still have family over there. I know it's unlikely, but do you know any Grymonprez'? I'm not sure where he was from exactly.

oops ... and our economy is slowing a bit, but if I find the right saw I will snap it up. I was over at a local shop the other day (we rent space to store a bus there during the winter) and he had an 044 sitting on the floor. Sadly (for me), he's keeping it. :cry:

Latest posts

Back