How close can the driveway be to Oak tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taddat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm clearing a lot to build a house. The lot is mostly Maples with a few Red Oaks and the soil is brown clay.

The Oak I'm concerned about is 26" dbh and stands about 90 ft. I know more is better but how far should the driveway be from the bottom of the tree?

Also - the same tree has a vertical scar about chest high that is 3 ft long. Is this something to worry about?

I have tired to include a few pics - hopefully they work and help. I have more pics if needed -

Thanks for any advice!!!

View attachment 243805View attachment 243806

I would install your drive where you have your access road now.Compaction damage to the root zone already done. Don't worry about the old wound on the Oak, looks like it has closed up nicely.

As far away as possible, keep the equipment away from it as well. Damage that is done .......... is done, don't add anymore!

I would install your drive where you have your access road now.Compaction damage to the root zone already done. Don't worry about the old wound on the Oak, looks like it has closed up nicely.

What's been done now the tree can probably survive......What will be done to pour will be a different story. Likely a dozer will scrape off the top 6" and cut off most of the roots on that side. Then a very heavy gravel truck will lay the bed for the drive, then an even heavier concrete truck will pack it down some more as the drive is poured.

I see that mature oak in serious decline in 6-8 years if a concrete drive is poured where the dirt drive is now. Mature oaks simply do not tolerate significant root disturbance.

In the mid 1990's I bought a tract of wooded land to build a house in. I pushed a road in and cleared the lot, and ended up with more firewood than I could burn in the time I was there. I ended up shifting the location of the house in order to save a white oak tree. It too was near the driveway, but at the terminus near the house. Between running the dozer and tractor over it, the trucks coming and going, etc., I had to take it down within 2 years. Ended up milling the trunk (still have some of the lumber) and burned the rest in the stove.

Compaction and root disturbance are your enemy.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

So far the heavies thing anywhere near the tree has been a mid-size skid loader. My plan is to use gravel (limestone) and curve the driveway as much around the oak as I can. It's hard to tell from looking at a flat photo but I have some wiggle room in staying away from the tree. I just hope I can stay far enough away. Thanks again for the help on this.

Latest posts

Back