How did you get started on working on saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There's a lot of good saw mechanics here. I'm just wonder how some of you got started.
I'm hoping to be able to do my own work soon.

if it burns fuel has wheels and wears skirt its trouble, kinda that kinda train of thinking.

i work on everything ive taken classes courses deisel tech stuff air brake stuff, welding fabrication stuff. drafting. my life has envolved all aspects of turning wrenches from lawnmowers to 18wheelers and all toys inbetween, never have taken small engine courses.

I was a wheeled diesel mech in the Marine Corps. Since I was twelve or so I've been tinkering on things. It just kind of fell in place. At work though? I was getting sick and tired of everything breaking down and taking 3 to 5 days to get stuff back from the saw shop. So I just jumped in head first.

Just always enjoyed tinkering really love old cars. Got a free 041 farmboss and started working on saws found this site and have been ruined ever since but I also have to say that I am far from a good saw mechanic I know alot more about chevy small blocks.

Well,

In my case....."Poor folks have got poor ways"

Have had to fix, rebuild, patch, tie together with baling wire, and otherwise create "presidential solutions" for all of my JUNK all my life.

When I was still living home (with my parents), my father picked up a IDC weed wacker that wouldn't run. I bought a house, and mentioned that I was going to need one, and asked if I could buy it from him. He sold it to me for what he paid, $7. I rebuilt the carb, and it's still in the shed to this day (12 years later). I use it on a weekly basis every summer. (Although, I just picked up a Stihl FS-80, so it might start to get used a little less).

Anyway, I learned a few things when I rebuilt that carb... I can remember spending the WHOLE DAY fiddling with the adjustment screws, because it just wouldn't run right! Finally, I found my dad's service manual for his 031AV Chainsaw and read through the carburetor section and found out that I had the diaphragm cover turned the wrong way. There's a vent in that cover and it needs to be in the correct position. I changed it, and the thing started and ran like new!

After that, I bet I bought and sold 50 weed eaters in the next couple of years, just to have something to tinker with. In the last year or so, I have graduated to chainsaws, and with the help of this site, I'm not limited to carb work anymore.

That's my story, but I'm FAR from a *good* saw mechanic... I just do what I can, ask questions about what I don't know (here on AS), and have been successful with my projects so far.

My whole family has mechanic history. I am a mechanic/operator, and have always worked on equipment. I never messed much with saws until I bought my first house that had a fireplace. So naturally, I dealt myself into a chainsaw to cut firewood for this fireplace. I was researching "026 pro" one night and Arboristsite popped up on google search. The rest is history....

lol, i researched 359 one night and timberwolfs 359 on AS poped up, been here ever since and even have ported my 359, cut out a set of dogs and recently aquried a 026. and am lookin to get another 026 as a project ported as far as my abilities allow with possibly a 046 carb.

this will for sure never end. also lookin at biddn on few project saws on ebay.

so basicaly this is mostly all AS's fault that im hooked so stinkin bad.

lol, i researched 359 one night and timberwolfs 359 on AS poped up, been here ever since and even have ported my 359, cut out a set of dogs and recently aquried a 026. and am lookin to get another 026 as a project ported as far as my abilities allow with possibly a 046 carb.

this will for sure never end. also lookin at biddn on few project saws on ebay.

so basicaly this is mostly all AS's fault that im hooked so stinkin bad.

Waddaya mean basically?!?!?! It's ALL AS's fault!!!!!!!!! (That's what I tell my wife every time I come home with a new saw.. ) :)

Working on saws

Well, when I was born my Dad had a garage in a small town. He worked on anything form cars, tractors, dozers, lawnmowers, if it had an engine, it came there. My job after school and summer vacations (had no vacation really) was to keep the lawnmowers and such running. You would be surprised what you can learn in a small hometown shop.
Then mechanic school, Army schools, mechanic jobs, plus other non related jobs and a lifetime seems to have gone by soooo quickly.

Some of these stories are stirring up some memories from childhood.. :)

I can remember stripping an air cleaner bolt on a Briggs and Stratton engine on the lawnmower when I was probably 14 years old. I just wanted to see what the air filter looked like. I was kinda scared of what my dad might say, so I rode my bike to the small engine repair shop 3 miles up the road, and bought a new bolt. That was probably my first trip to the lawnmower shop..

Ah... The memories.. :)

My dad bought a small engine shop from his brother before I went to middle school. Soon after, I had to ride the school bus to the shop. After school and summer from then on til graduation was spent at the shop. After graduation I served the public (firefighter, EMS, then deputy). All the time working on my off days at the shop. Now I run the shop and he gets the benefits of owning it. I served the public for nearly 20 years but now I am either at the shop or spending time with my son.

My stepdad owns a shop, I worked there a couple summers during college, after I got my degree, I started working there full time. Moral of this story is don't get a Bachelors of Arts Degree, it's worth slightly more than a G.E.D.

My Dad was the one everyone brought stuff to when it would not run. I learned a lot from watching him and helping him. He's gone now but I tell my son & daughter what mine told me " if you don't try you will never know" try new things. If you can fix it great, if not seek help. I've been tinkering for 42 years and this site is a super place to learn new stuff. I find these guys to be very sharp tacks. Like they say just do it.

Ninjas raided my house when I was only 6. I ran and hid in the woodshed until they were gone. When I thought it was safe, I grabbed paw's 028 and ventured out to find the house in flames and my family dead. I ran into the forest and didn't stop running until morning.

I finally stopped and looked around and realized that I had no idea where I was and I was still carrying that heavy beast of a saw. I tried to get it started with a lot of cursing and flailing, like I had seen my father do, so I could cut some sticks up and make myself a fire to keep warm.

I was still trying, sweat pouring off of me and my young muscles weary, when I heard a voice saying, "Piston scored it is, hmm? Carb adjustments, they will for you do nothing!" I looked up and through my tears I saw a wizened old logger with a massive beard and the greasiest chaps and dentedest brain bucket that I had ever seen. He spat out a fountain of chew spit and wiped his maw with the sleeve of his filthy flannel shirt, then turned and strode off into the woods. I didn't really have anything else going for me at the time, so I followed him.

When we got to his cabin the old man, who introduced himself as Olaf Olafson, took me in. He fed me steelhead and Pabst Blue Ribbon until I had my strength back and then put me to work splitting kindling. Always I dreamed about going back and finding those ninjas to avenge the death of my parents, but always there were more chores.

"Check my bar oil you must."

"Mix the 2-stroke at 40:1, you will."

I chafed at the constant work, and Olaf's ridiculous backwards talkingness. But he would not let me leave until I could snatch a scrench from his hand. Every time he was too quick for me, and I was back to cleaning air filters and scraping the muck out of bar grooves. And learning too. From watching Olaf, I learned to set a carb by ear, and file a chain, and make a proper Humboldt cut, and how to chase spotted owls from a landing.

Finally, on my 13th birthday, I managed to snatch the scrench from Olaf's hand. We had a small dinner of more steelhead and PBR and went to bed early. When I woke up, on our tiny table there was a gleaming new 660 and a note from Olaf that read, "Ready you are, for the fighting of ninjas. Teach you no more I can." Olaf himself was nowhere to be found.

So I took the saw and made my way back to civilization. I still haven't found any ninjas yet, but they better watch out.

There's a lot of good saw mechanics here. I'm just wonder how some of you got started.
I'm hoping to be able to do my own work soon.

I'm nowhere near the mechanic of many on this site. Didn't know how a chainsaw worked. Didn't understand 2-cycle engines. Had some basic mechanical ability and experience working on my cars, mechanical things, bicycles, etc.

I started with the owner's manuals, did some basic things (chains, sprockets, bars, plugs, filters, etc.), asked questions, looked for books in the library, looked on-line at sites like this, read a lot of posts, asked more questions, etc.

Hard to beat the hands-on experience. I went on Craig's List and Freecycle and asked for 'dead chainsaws' just to take apart. After you have seen the insides of the saws, some of the responses make more sense. You also have more specific questions to ask. If you can get the service manuals and parts lists for your saws, those will help alot.

If there is someone in your area (A.S.. member?) that you can watch, or who can help you, that would be very helpful. Eventually, took 2 damaged saws and make one, working 'Frankensaw'. Gave me confidence to try other things.

Start by doing what you feel comfortable with - probably most maintenance and basic repairs. Take more technical things to your dealer. A good dealer will answer questions if he is doing part of the work and / or selling you the parts.

Philbert

I was always interested in anything with an engine as a kid. Played around with lawn tractors 'cause that was all I could afford. Then I finally got a dirtbike ('83 CR125) and a part time job at a Cub Cadet dealer. Fifteen years later, I'm going on 8 years working at the same "mom-&-pop" Suzuki shop. A google search for parts for my 1 saw showed me this site and got me into my latest craze. Been burning and cutting wood for years but I don't know why I am so interested in it, suddenly. My girl thinks I'm losing it, I wonder if I am too, sometimes? Why do I always want to play with my saws, and my dirtbikes are collecting dust?:dizzy:

Back