How did you get your handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few unusual handles on this board, and wondered how some of you got yours.
I got mine, Avalancher, cause I was the worst firewood stacker my uncle had ever seen. I could saw with most anything, could split pretty good, but couldnt stack worth a dead dog. He started calling me the "avalancher" cauze if I stacked it, there was a good chance an innocent bystander would get buried.
The sad part is, i still havent gotten much better.

Well, about 35 years ago, somebody at the University of Illinois awarded me a Ph.D. in business. I taught school at five different universities and the students used to call me Dr. Ed. They were the only ones who ever called me "Doctor", but a Ph.D. is a Doctorate degree, so I never corrected them. Engineering is still my first love, and that's what I studied as an undergraduate and practiced for five years.

Lately I've studied and worked with wood more than anything else during the last 30 years, so Wood Doctor seemed an appropriate handle. The first small business I ever tried after teaching was delivering firewood. That was fun but not lucrative. The next small business I tried was a successful software development business that I am now ending peacefully.

Meanwhile, during the past 20 years I have been actively cutting and splitting firewood for myself and friends to help heat our homes. Fabulous and productive exercise, I find this physical activity a joy.

Adrpk, is my abbreviation on Adirondack Park which is where I was building a cabin when I stumbled upon this site looking for pictures of other peoples cabins.

Mine is pretty obvious I never have a reliable source of wood so I scrounge everything.

Ditto here. Not sure if it's a regional expression or if folks from outside Northern New England know what a woodbooga is. I'd be curious to know if anyone beyond my neighborhood uses the term. A woodbooga is basically a scrounge.

After a big storm, I'll pull into a neighbor's driveway and offer to clear away a downed tree - that's woodboogerin' (works as a noun or a verb).

Same thing if I hear tell of a local landowner who's had some logging done but the tops are left behind.

Or if I'm at a yard sale and see a pile of wood at a house with no noticable chimney, which inevitably leads me to offer, "I'd be happy to clean that up for you."

Same deal with the weekly trip to the dump's brush pile where I'll load up any stick of 3" or more (some times I've even come away with half a truckload of split& seasoned stuff. Guess there's some folks who don't like to burn dirty wood?)

I live in Michigan and I milk cows.:kilt:
Kyle
That means to me, Kyle, that your arms are as strong as tree trunks. Forum, please do not try to arm wrestle this guy. I bought my Mac 610 in 1978 from a shop owner in Connecticut who had arms like iron. After I paid cash for my saw, I asked Big John two questions:

(1) "John, you look really strong. How did your arms get so big?" Ans. I milked cows while growing up, and I still help my Dad every week.

(2) "Have you ever lost to a man in an arm wrestling match?" Ans. No, I've never been challenged.

'nuff said. :dizzy:

That means to me, Kyle, that your arms are as strong as tree trunks. Forum, please do not try to arm wrestle this guy. I bought my Mac 610 in 1978 from a shop owner in Connecticut who had arms like iron. After I paid cash for my saw, I asked Big John two questions:

(1) "John, you look really strong. How did your arms get so big?" Ans. I milked cows while growing up, and I still help my Dad every week.

(2) "Have you ever lost to a man in an arm wrestling match?" Ans. No, I've never been challenged.

'nuff said. :dizzy:

I would say my arms are my strongest part, but milking cows has changed alot since the old days. I have milked in a barn where you had to dump the milk into a bucket and carry it to the bulk tank, so I know how hard it used to be, but now we have things quite a bit easier. Don't get me wrong farming is still hard work, but we have things better now than we used to.

Kyle:) :)

Latest posts

Back